13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2009 12:50 PM by Jay Chevako

Pagemaker 4 and Vista

For the past 15+ years I have used and loved Pagemaker 4 on my Windows 98 PC! I've just purchased a new Toshiba laptop running Home Vista. Is there any way my PM4 master floppies can be installed on my new machine? No reasonably priced DTP package approaches the user-friendly features of PM4. Help!
        • 1. Re: Pagemaker 4 and Vista
          BigJohnD Level 3
          Keep the Win98 PC for PM4.

Iechyd da! John
          23:01 17/12/2008 GMT
          • 2. Re: Pagemaker 4 and Vista
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            Even that could be a stretch...PM 4 was released in 1992 or 93 and
            predates even Win 95.

Bob
            • 3. Re: Pagemaker 4 and Vista
              Ian C. Matthew Level 2
              Reminds me of when I tried to install Illustrator 4 (windows) on a Windows 98 PC once. I got an error dialogue box diricting me to Adobe.com for an upgrade.

PM4 will almost certainly not work on Vista. As many here will say, InDesign is the present and future of DTP accroding to Adobe. If InDesign is too rich in features and price, then I know many others who swear by Serif PagePlus.

Ian
              • 4. Re: Pagemaker 4 and Vista
                robertbj145 Level 1
                Ive been experimenting with Pagemaker 7 in Windows 7 beta. Seems to run fine. I was never interested in Vista. I have Indesign CS4 but its overkill for the 240 page catalog we do and I dont need all the bells & whistles.
                • 5. Re: Pagemaker 4 and Vista
                  BigJohnD Level 3
                  I'm pleased to hear you have successfully installed PM7 on Windows 7 beta, but before you get too smug, make sure you have lots of backups of your PM files as be assured this will bite back at you at some point, probably at a critical moment.

Iechyd da! John
                  20:48 11/03/2009 GMT
                  • 6. Re: Pagemaker 4 and Vista
                    robertbj145 Level 1
                    No worries. If it becomes a problem, I'll just keep PM7 on an XP machine. I have ID CS4, but its a bit of overkill for now. The program doesnt convert PM7 files well. It takes to much time to fix each one, and since I have over 4000 PM7 files, I wont be jumping to convert anytime soon.
                    • 7. Re: Pagemaker 4 and Vista
                      Jay Chevako Level 3
                      Robert_L._Cook wrote:
                      > and since I have over 4000 PM7 files, I wont be jumping to convert anytime soon.
                      >
                      Do you really think you need to convert all 4000 files? Are all of those
                      files active, and need updating on a regular basis?
                      Jay
                      • 8. Re: Pagemaker 4 and Vista
                        robertbj145 Level 1
                        Yes. I manage a 240 page catalog that changes 4 times a year and contains, on average, 1800-2300 products. Many times we may reopen an ad that might be 3 years old in order to place it on the catalog. The way I designed the catalog was so that no matter what size the ad box, they would all jigsaw fit the publication to speed placement. The ad is contained in a box, one ad per file name. The box (whatever size it may be) contains text or multiple text boxes (threaded), 1 or more images, (CMYK or B&W). The problem has always been that these products change constantly, its not like, say, an office supply catalog that basically never changes. So (if) I were to change, all the files would have to be ready to go also. Even as we speak, the upcoming catalog current has 745 new ads (PM files)ready at any time PLUS all the previous ads (minus the sold prooducts). IF you want, send me your email and I will forward you some examples of what we do.
                        • 9. Re: Pagemaker 4 and Vista
                          robertbj145 Level 1
                          PS to the previous post......
                          I do have IDCS4 I'm playing with, plus Photoshop CS4 I bought a month ago. My current problem is I had to revert back to Photoshop CS2 because the presets I use in CS4 crash the program (among other problems, ie: the CS4 forum). I edit 300-500 RAW photos a month for the publication, the web & PDF. I cant play games with constant setbacks. As "101" as Pagemaker is, it has worked since I started using it in 1990.
                          • 10. Re: Pagemaker 4 and Vista
                            Jay Chevako Level 3
                            Robert_L._Cook@adobeforums.com wrote:
                            > Yes. I manage a 240 page catalog that changes 4 times a year and contains, on average, 1800-2300 products.

You open, copy and paste from 1800-2300 pagemaker files per catalog?
                            With Indesign you could simply place other Indesign files, no copying
                            and pasting, The ads could be automatically centered inside a frame (ad
                            box). You would have a bit more of a conversion process than most
                            people, but Indesign would cut down on your production time.

You could use pdfs created from your existing pagemaker ads as a
                            transition, converting the new/changed ads to indesign as needed. I'm
                            pretty sure you can script the creation of pdf s from your pagemaker
                            documents. Indesign's handling of pdf files is way better than pagemaker

Jay
                            • 11. Re: Pagemaker 4 and Vista
                              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                              > Indesign's handling of pdf files is way better than pagemaker

InDesign's handling of EVERYTHING is way better than Pagemaker. Yes,
                              there's a learning curve but the time saved in the long run will be
                              substantial.

Bob
                              • 12. Re: Pagemaker 4 and Vista
                                robertbj145 Level 1
                                What I do is tile the windows of the publication and the ad on the screen. Then grab the ad (encircle)and drag & drop the ad somewhere on a page, in a 16 page signature. (The 6 signatures have been pre-designed with snapto guides and presets so they can drop in anywhere, any size. As I fill the pages, I index, then move on to fill the signature. Save as to clean it up and rename. After the sig. is done, I postscript (.ps) each page and drop it into distiller in predesigned Creo settings job.options (the commercial printer we have uses Creo imposition software). After I've created 240 PDF's, I upload to the printer and 14 days later we have 60,000 catalogs. So you see my process. I will continue to play with IDCS4 and see how it goes. Thanks.....
                                • 13. Re: Pagemaker 4 and Vista
                                  Jay Chevako Level 3
                                  I would check out some of the catalog plugins that have been created for
                                  Indesign. They might take a bit to set up, but they could really cut the
                                  amount of work you have to do for each issue.

http://www.emsoftware.com/products/incatalog/
                                  http://www.woodwing.com/en/Smart_Catalog
                                  Jay