4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2008 7:51 AM by hlgreens

Monitor to Printer calibration problem

hlgreens
      Hi

Sorry about rewriting ths twice but the subject title was probably not clear.

I use Pagemaker 7.0 to make greeting cards.
      Previously I've printed these cards on an Epson Photo Stylus 820 inkjet printer and have had very minor differences in the colour or b&w quality from PhotoShop to PageMaker.Usually I have to adjust the contrast less than 10%.

I now use an Epson R2400 printer, both the colour & b&w are much darker and the colour is off. When I print the same images in PhotoShop I get very little variation from what I see on my monitor

I have my monitor calibrated using Spyder2Pro and have the settings on photoshop as recommended in the instruction booklet for the printer.

I can't seem to set up PageMaker to accept the same settings that I have in PhotoShop CS

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks
      herb greenslade
        • 1. Re: Monitor to Printer calibration problem
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          PM's on screen previews suck. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

If you want accurate previews in a pagelayout you'll need to move to
          InDesign.

There's about a thousand other reasons to do so, also...not the least of
          which is that PM is a dead end application that will never see one
          minute of development.

Bob
          • 2. Re: Monitor to Printer calibration problem
            hlgreens Level 1
            Hi Robert

Thanks for the reply. I agree that InDesign would be a much more up to date desktop application, but my 2 or 3 greeting card designs per year don't justify even a $200. replacement/upgrade expense.

I have also used it occasionally to print 2 images on a page as I have many templates saved so that I just have to place the photos.

I spent most of yesterday improvising ways in PhotoShop to produce my cards and by supper time was able to create a card in about 30 minutes. I think PhotoShop will do what I want. What I will miss is Distiller that I use to make Acrobat cards that I e-mail to friends whose addresses I don't have.

kAs an anecdote, many years ago when I took a course on PageMaker (to get a cheap student version paid by my employer) I did my final project on CorelDraw !!

Thanks again & Season's Greetings

herb greenslade
            • 3. Re: Monitor to Printer calibration problem
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              Photoshop saves as PDF natively.

Bob
              • 4. Re: Monitor to Printer calibration problem
                hlgreens Level 1
                Hi Robert

Thanks,I forgot about that. I use "contacts" to when I send out "proofs".

I don't want to change this to a PhotoShop topic, but most of my time doing my card on PhotoShop was spent on trying to put text to a "path". As I needed the text to be upside down, I finally succeeded by rotating the entire page.

Warping text also worked for me, but I still didn't succeed in putting text on a custom made path.

Thanks again

herb greenslade