14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 1:02 PM by BigJohnD

Unlinked text frames!!

(jbostrom)
      I was given a big textbook to polish up in Pagemaker 7. The text of the each chapter is already broken into dozens of random unlinked, discrete text frames. These are complete in themselves - there's no "+" in the windowshade handles at the top or at bottom, either black or red. When I style the text of the first frame, it doesn't flow into the second because it isn't linked, and I can't link the frames by clicking the window handles as all the tutorials say. When I click the bottom handle on the first box and then click into the next frame, all that happens is another new frame is created, with the same problem as the first. The text doesn't flow from that frame into the next one either.
        • 1. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
          (jbostrom) Level 1
          Correction - they're not really frames, they're text BLOCKS. You know, the windowshade things.
          • 2. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
            Jay Chevako Level 3
            Ahh the joys of working on other people's documents.

Work on a copy of the Document. Try the Merge stories script in the
            scripts pallete select both windowshades with the pointer tool and
            click the script.

I don't think this will work across pages that aren't on the same
            readers spread

or the manual way: To link the Window shades you have to cut the text
            out of the Second window shade paste it into the First window shade,
            then link the two together. Repeat as many times as needed. It is best
            to start at the back
            Jay
            • 3. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
              (jbostrom) Level 1
              Thank you for replying!

I've never actually used the Scripts pallete before, but I tried "merge stories" - and got an "invalid state" error message whether in both Layout and Story view. I'll start Googling for help on this script - any help you can give me much appreciated.

I've been trying to get by with doing it manually, cutting and pasting. Some of the sections are huge, dozens of pages. I copy and paste and when it's ok delete the copied block entirely. No point having more than one text block really. Working from the back is a good tip, thanks.

The only reason I can figure that they did this is that in one part of the text there are several images. They put these in separate text blocks rather than embedding them in the text. Otherwise I have no idea why they made so many text blocks. Maybe because it's so easy to do accidentally, and once you have a text block it's hard to get rid of it. I've been "closing the sandwich" on blocks to see if I can get the block before it and the block after it to flow together, which amounts to deleting the middle block.

What a drag, hours of time wasted on this. You would think there would be some simple one-click way to "combine all text."
              • 4. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
                Jay Chevako Level 3
                jbostrom@adobeforums.com wrote:
                > Thank you for replying!
                >
                > I've never actually used the Scripts pallete before, but I tried "merge stories" - and got an "invalid state" error message whether in both Layout and Story view. I'll start Googling for help on this script - any help you can give me much appreciated.
                >
                >

As with most regulars on this forum it's been years since I've used
                pagemaker. so my pagemaker help is limited.

I got an error message when trying it out but after I hit ignore the
                script did work
                Jay
                • 5. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                  You still have it installed somewhere? You sir, are way ahead of me.

Bob
                  • 6. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
                    Jay Chevako Level 3
                    Bob Levine wrote:
                    > You still have it installed somewhere? You sir, are way ahead of me.
                    >
                    > Bob
                    >
                    I have my old PC as a second machine used for emailing and other tasks.
                    I don't really do any upkeep on the thing. I thought the error I got in
                    the script was because of my ancient setup.
                    Jay
                    • 7. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
                      (jbostrom) Level 1
                      so what is this "invalid state" error message about?
                      • 8. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
                        BigJohnD Level 3
                        > > the Scripts palette before, but I tried "merge stories" - and got an "invalid state

The invalid state probably means you have only selected one text block.

I found it worked after a fashion by selecting two text blocks on the same page/paste board.

Even if you have a long document, I reckon it would be better to it manually (copy'n'paste) as text block resizing with the script was not good.

As yes, Bob, I have copy of PM7 running on my WinXP PC at home. It's no longer an authorised application in the factory.

Iechyd da! John
                        02:11 29/01/2009 GMT
                        • 9. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
                          Jay Chevako Level 3
                          What John said.

I would rework the document in indesign if I was allowed to.

Jay
                          • 10. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
                            (jbostrom) Level 1
                            It's a moot point on this job. They're working with PM7 and want it back in PM7. And in any case, my whole attempted rework with proper indenting of numbered questions and abcd answers (I just did the first chapter as an example) is being rejected because there's no time to do it on the rest of the book, even using styles. Apparently I was called in at the last minute. It's going out as originally formatted - all I really did was add page numbering. Next time they'll call me earlier.

Thanks though, this will be helpful in the future. Wish I could afford InDesign, but I'm very glad there's still support for the old standby.
                            • 11. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
                              Jay Chevako Level 3
                              jbostrom wrote:
                              > Next time they'll call me earlier.
                              >

Try for the begining of the project, it always makes it easier
                              > Thanks though, this will be helpful in the future. Wish I could afford InDesign, but I'm very glad there's still support for the old standby.
                              >

The support is dwindling, It's only us forgetful old fogies who have
                              long since woved on to ID.
                              Jay
                              • 12. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
                                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                                The upgrade price from Pagemaker to InDesign is only $199.00.
                                Considering the fonts it ships with it's an incredible bargain.

Bob
                                • 13. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
                                  I have version 7 of Pagemaker and I'm tranlating a textbook. Could somebody please tell me how to translate footnotes. Keep it simple!
                                  • 14. Re: Unlinked text frames!!
                                    BigJohnD Level 3
                                    > > Could somebody please tell me how to translate footnotes.

Babelfish?

Iechyd da! John
                                    22:01 31/03/2009 BST