6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2009 4:52 PM by (Laura_Monteros)

Changing default document setup

Awhile back, I set up a document for a compact disc insert. This setup now appears every time I start a new document. Prior to this, it was my experience that new documents defaulted to the letter setup. I'm not sure what I did nor how to get the default back to letter. I searched help, forums, and knowledge base and could not find this addressed. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Changing default document setup
          Level 1
          Quite by accident, I discovered that the solution is to open the document setup before opening a new document. Changes made then become the default for all new docs. Changes to document setup after a new document is opened apply only to that doc. Don't know why this answer isn't in my manual, help, or the knowledge base--it's so simple!
          • 2. Re: Changing default document setup
            Claudio González Most Valuable Participant
            I agree. It has been asked and answered so many times, that John should have included it in the FAQs. However, as we are talking of a dead/dying product, it's not likely to be included now.

Sorry for the delay, but I hadn't been around here for some time.
            • 3. Re: Changing default document setup
              BigJohnD Level 3
              Hello, Claudio,

Yes, it should be included, but then I'm pretty sure it's in the PM help files somewhere.

I've had a look at the FAQs over the Christmas beak, and the majority of them need an opening proviso that says something like:

"PM ceased development in 2002, almost 7 years ago. Any help, support or advice is now based on archives, but for PM to operate properly, you must have your version installed on a contemporary version of Windows."

Iechyd da! John
              13:24 19/02/2009 GMT
              • 4. Re: Changing default document setup
                Claudio González Most Valuable Participant
                Hello John,

You are probably right about the question being answered in the Help menu, but it has been a long time without using PM. And I'm not in Santiago right now, so I have no access to my faithful and antique Mac, where I have a copy of 6.5, so I cannot check.

Also, I'm not sure if the PM forums will survive the big changes to come soon.

Any plans of coming to Chile in a not too distant future?
                • 5. Re: Changing default document setup
                  BigJohnD Level 3
                  Hello, Claudio,

Yes, the traffic here has dwindled to a tickle these days. We're like old men sitting in the library archive, reminiscing about the good old days.

I now only load up PM to check things when someone asks a question.

Like PM, this forum's days are numbered.

As for visiting Chile, it's still on the list of things to do before I die. However, my asthma and heart aren't what they used be, and while I went up high in the Himalayas 30 years ago, I'm going to have to be more careful at altitude if I want to go up high into Andes. (I live about 10m about sea level these days). But all it really means is take it gently - and take more time to enjoy the views and gorgeous red wines of Chile - http://www.conchaytoro.com/

Iechyd da! John
                  00:35 26/02/2009 GMT
                  • 6. Re: Changing default document setup
                    Level 1
                    Thanks, Guys!

Your posts are certainly more interesting than the usual ones. I know PM is dying...I have 7.1 and I guess that was the last permutation...but since I only do desktop publishing for volunteer work I can't afford to invest in In Design (as much as I'd like to).

I appreciate your comments. Enjoy Chile, whenever you get there.