5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2009 2:31 AM by Elkie2

converting to a pdf  with no pdd option or postscript printer

Elkie2
      I used to be able to easily convert a pagemaker file to a PDF. All of a sudden it doesn't work anymore. (computer crashed and everything had to be reinstalled). I am using PM 7.0 (tried to upgrade to 7.01 but it looks like upgrade didn't take) and apparently have Distiller 5.0.

When I try to file-export-adobe PDF I get asked to install a postscript printer. Also, I do not get a PDD option in the Print Document dialog box.

I tried to follow suggestions in FAQ but am lost.

Any suggestions.

Thank you very much
        • 1. Re: converting to a pdf  with no pdd option or postscript printer
          BigJohnD Level 3
          IIRC, the PM7 setup CD-ROM will do it all for you.

However it's years since I did it.

You need to install a Postscript Printer (any will do - a LaserWriter is fine) from the Windows Control Panel, and make sure the Distiller PPD is in the folder

[pmdir]\RSRC\[language]\PPD4

which is usually:
          C:\Program Files\Adobe\PageMaker 7.0\RSRC\USENGLSH\PPD4 (USA) or
          C:\Program Files\Adobe\PageMaker 7.0\RSRC\UKENGLSH\PPD4 (UK/CDN/AUS/NZ)

The Distiller5 PPD is here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=204

Iechyd da! John
          13:06 19/02/2009 GMT
          • 2. Re: converting to a pdf  with no pdd option or postscript printer
            Elkie2 Level 1
            First of all thank you for your response

I am going to uninstall PM 7 and reinstall it. LaserWriter is for Apple and I have a regular PC. I'm not sure what you mean when you say install a Postscript Printer from the Windows Control Panel. I don't find that option.

I know I should download a postscript printer driver but I need a ppd file before I can do that. When I download the Distiller5PPD is is just a file on my desk top??

I am just so clueless.
            • 3. converting to a pdf with no pdd option or postscript printer
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              > I am going to uninstall PM 7 and reinstall it.

The first part is a good idea, but I don't recommend the second part.
              Time to consider InDesign instead of a dead product.

Bob
              • 4. Re: converting to a pdf  with no pdd option or postscript printer
                BigJohnD Level 3
                b To Install A Printer

Click Start, Settings, and Control Panel.
                In the control panel double-click the Printers or Printers and Fax icon.
                In the Printers window click the "Add a printer" icon.
                Use the port FILE: and ANY PS printer - Apple, HP, Canon, Epson - they work with ANY windows PC.

b PPD File.

The file is in WinZip format and needs to be "unzipped" to reveal the files contained it.
                The default download location on your PC is probably your Desktop.

Iechyd da! John
                16:35 19/02/2009 GMT
                • 5. Re: converting to a pdf  with no pdd option or postscript printer
                  Elkie2 Level 1
                  Hi John,

You were right on. When I reinstalled PageMaker 7, I noticed I could also install Distiller and PostScript Printer. This may have solved the problem. (When I reinstalled PageMaker 7 after the computer crashed I didn't install Distiller or Postscript.)

It is people like you who are willing to help others that make people like me smile.

Robert - you're right. I need to go to InDesign.

Thanks again.