10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 6:30 AM by Jay Chevako

Pagemaker 5 Printing Issue

alaskalover08 Level 1
      It has been years since I used this program. I refreshed my memory a bit and attempted to create a page. I am trying to prepare some invitations. I want to put in the basic Date, Time etc. into some purchased invitations. I created a page, the size of the invite. Using the rulers and lines, I was able to type up the page. It looks great on the computer screen. However, when I go to print out a sample I just get a small portion of my text, and it appears in the corner of the page. I am assuming that I am forgetting something that I used to know. Can anyone refresh my memory? I would appreciate it so much!!! Thanks!!!
        • 1. Re: Pagemaker 5 Printing Issue
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          Maybe someone might come along but I'll remind you the PM 5 is about 15
          years old and Adobe discontinued all PM development quite a few years ago.

Bob
          • 2. Re: Pagemaker 5 Printing Issue
            BigJohnD Level 3
            If you're using WinXP, then, you're on your own.

> > However, when I go to print out a sample I just get a small portion of my text, and it appears in the corner of the page

Is it cropped or scaled down?

Is that the date, and how did you enter it?

Iechyd da! John
            19:57 29/03/2009 GMT
            • 3. Re: Pagemaker 5 Printing Issue
              alaskalover08 Level 1
              Yes I am using Windows XP. I have done a bit more research and it appears that my printer does not support this program. :( How sad!!!! Many years ago, this program served me well, and it still would, but I guess the new printers don't work with it. I will have to try something else I guess.
              • 4. Re: Pagemaker 5 Printing Issue
                Jay Chevako Level 3
                Make a pdf and print from that.
                Jay
                • 5. Re: Pagemaker 5 Printing Issue
                  alaskalover08 Level 1
                  I made the pdf, but still had issues. In PM5 I created a 5x7 paper size. When I made it into a PDF it created it as an 8.5 x 11. So, the printing is not where it needs to be for my invitation. I will putting a pre-printed 5 x 7 invitation through the printer. I was hoping to place the time, date, etc. in the proper position on the invite. This is far more challenging than I originally thought.
                  • 6. Re: Pagemaker 5 Printing Issue
                    Jay Chevako Level 3
                    Ah details of what you are trying to do always help, forget the pdf for
                    now. Most printers will print to a letter size page by default, you need
                    to tell it that you are printing to a 5 x7 piece of paper. You will find
                    this option in the print dialog box.
                    Jay
                    • 7. Re: Pagemaker 5 Printing Issue
                      alaskalover08 Level 1
                      Jay, you are so kind to help me. I had told the printer I was printing on a 5X7. It is just printing a much smaller font and not where I expected it to be. It is an improvement, so I will play with it a little more before I totally give up and look to purchase a new program that will allow me to do this with ease. Since I don't do this kind of thing very often, I was hoping to accomplish it with the software I have.
                      • 8. Re: Pagemaker 5 Printing Issue
                        Jay Chevako Level 3
                        Make sure you don't have shrink to fit or any kind of scaling going on
                        in your print dialog box.
                        Try creating a light gray box the same size as your page and see how it
                        prints out.
                        Try creating a pdf at 5 x7, not letter size.
                        If all else fails you should be able to do this in something like word
                        (This is not the kind of advice you will see here often)
                        Jay
                        • 9. Re: Pagemaker 5 Printing Issue
                          alaskalover08 Level 1
                          Thanks Jay, for taking the time to help me with this project!!! I am almost there!!!!! I ended up changing the scaling setting to "none" and I am well on my way now to succesfully completing this project. I had to go back to my original in PM and make a few adjustments, but I am almost there and I know I will get this done now. I could NEVER have done this without your help. I can't thank you enough!!!!! I have limited knowledge when it comes to computers, but with good directions, like yours, I can accomplish most things I set out to do. It may take me a bit longer than the average person, but I can get it done! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
                          • 10. Re: Pagemaker 5 Printing Issue
                            Jay Chevako Level 3
                            I don't think I'm sensing enough gratitude here. ;)
                            Jay