11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 11:11 PM by Newsgroup_User

CS4 Font Engine Problems

fntengine
      Greetings,

I am also having trouble with the new font engine.

Simulating aliased html-text seems impossible now.
      Kerning is way off and even the characters look different.
      (they do in no way resemble the html in my web-browser, which is the whole point of simulating html-text!)

Take a look at this example
      (comparison between FW CS3 which I am using now, and CS4)

Fonts are Arial - 11px and 12px.I did not find any option in CS4 to correct this and I surely won't upgrade to this version if this is the new standard. But maybe I overlooked some option and there is a fix to this - I would be very glad since I love my dear FW...

• 1. Re: CS4 Font Engine Problems
          ArunKaza Adobe Employee
          Hi,

I am sure you are missing something here as we are able to see the CS4 text resemble html in web browsers.
          Download this sample png file which contains text blocks created in CS4 alongside the CS3 text image. Open the same file on your machine and see if this helps.

I guess you are using 495 build only and your document is opened up at 100% zoom level. Please note that manual kerning has been replaced with Tracking control in FWCS4. This works the same way as that in AI/PS. Have a look at this tutorial for more details on using the new text engine in FWCS4.
          http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/adobe_text_engine.html

--Arun
          • 2. CS4 Font Engine Problems
            fntengine Level 1
            Hello,

Thank you for your reply, but I am talking about aliased text.
            Your example has anti-aliasing applied.

Is there no way to set the text display to "system layout" or whatever the browser engine uses?

And yes, I am looking at 100% - I am using fireworks since version 1.0 and know my dearest app a bit ;-)

Thank you and best regards

btw:
            I am not using "clear type" or any other method of anti-aliasing when displaying webpages ("clear type" is found in IE7's browser options). I want the old fashioned, aliased html-text.
            • 3. Re: CS4 Font Engine Problems
              fntengine Level 1
              Oh well then. Case closed. Uninstall complete - cs4 is unusable for me due to the "not so great" text engine and some other things...

Seems like I will be using CS3 for a while longer....
              • 4. Re: CS4 Font Engine Problems
                Tim Shundo
                fntengine, I'm joining you. The new text and vector engine are ridiculously unusable, but it's still a feature.
                • 5. Re: CS4 Font Engine Problems
                  Level 7
                  "fntengine" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:gfjens$20o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > Thank you for your reply, but I am talking about aliased text.
                  >
                  > Your example has anti-aliasing applied.
                  >
                  > Is there no way to set the text display to "system layout" (or whatever
                  > the
                  > browser engine uses)?

That was a disappointing omission on Adobe's part. The "System Anti-Alias"
                  in CS3 was outstanding when using fonts designed for the web. The entire CS4
                  suite is enigmatic. The only folks who seem to rave about it are Adobe
                  employees, Adobe Community Experts, and folks who write books about it :-)

--
                  Al Sparber - PVII
                  http://www.projectseven.com
                  Fully Automated Menu Systems | Galleries | Widgets
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go/Elevators

• 6. Re: CS4 Font Engine Problems
                    ArunKaza Adobe Employee
                    The system anti-aliasing option present in FWCS3 is not available in CS4. I guess you can set it manually through custom anti-aliasing option.

--Arun
                    • 7. CS4 Font Engine Problems
                      fntengine Level 1
                      Thanks for your answer, but wow, that's a major disappointment.

I do NOT want anti-aliasing in my html-text layouts, be it custom or whatever. Period. That's so basic that I do not even know why I have to explain it.

Why would I use a software that's supposedly made for designing webpages if it is not able to render proper aliased text like my browser does?!

The aliased text in CS4 is very hard to read and unusable - just like Photoshop's - but Photoshop at least has the option "system layout" - which is still not as good as traditional fireworks text though). yuck.

Sorry for the rant, but this is very weak.
                      • 8. Re: CS4 Font Engine Problems
                        Level 7
                        "ArunKaza" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:gg0c43$iuu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > The system anti-aliasing option present in FWCS3 is not available in CS4.
                        > I guess you can set it manually through custom anti-aliasing option.
                        >
                        > --Arun

You're kidding, right?

• 9. Re: CS4 Font Engine Problems
                          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                          quote:

Originally posted by: fntengine
                          Greetings,

I am also having trouble with the new font engine.

Simulating aliased html-text seems impossible now.
                          Kerning is way off and even the characters look different.
                          (they do in no way resemble the html in my web-browser, which is the whole point of simulating html-text!)

Take a look at this example
                          (comparison between FW CS3 which I am using now, and CS4)

Fonts are Arial - 11px and 12px.I did not find any option in CS4 to correct this and I surely won't upgrade to this version if this is the new standard. But maybe I overlooked some option and there is a fix to this - I would be very glad since I love my dear FW...

I just did a test side by side at 12 px/ No Anti Alias and they appear identical?
                          See here - http://www.heathrowe.com/other/arial_noaa.jpg

Did you alter any other of the PI text properties?

• 10. Re: CS4 Font Engine Problems
                            Paevo Kelley Level 2
                            So much for FW being the premiere design mockup tool... What a ridiculous step backwards for such a great piece of software...
                            • 11. Re: CS4 Font Engine Problems
                              Level 7
                              "Paevo Kelley" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                              news:gh6cl7$d6j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > So much for FW being the premiere design mockup tool... What a ridiculous
                              > step backwards for such a great piece of software...

Consider this little test:
                              http://www.projectseven.com/testing/fwcs4/font-smoothing/

--
                              Al Sparber - PVII
                              http://www.projectseven.com
                              Fully Automated Menu Systems | Galleries | Widgets
                              http://www.projectseven.com/go/Elevators