5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2008 1:06 AM by Newsgroup_User

ASP Crashes DW CS3

Guidingbyte
      I completed about 20 pages of a web site in DW CS3 in xhtml. Once done I sent them to the corp developer who dropped the content into an ASP framework for the header and left hand NAV and resaved the page with a .ASP suffix. Worked great except that now I have to go back in a make some edits to the content. I downloaded his documents back to my root directory. I can open the .asp pages but DW is initially very slow and within a few minutes stops responding all together. I have tried going into the CODE view and deleting the ASP code but the page is still buggy. I open the original files and DW works fine.

Is there something I can do or does CS4 handle this better? I am working on MacPro, 10.5.5 and 4 GB of RAM. The developer is working in DW CS3 on a PC and has no issues.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: ASP Crashes DW CS3
          Level 7
          I would imagine that the problem is the fact that you're on a Mac and you
          don't have a server to render the ASP pages. Does the ASP code actually
          work? Do you have a testing server set up in your site definition?
          Traditionally, Windows users doing ASP use Internet Information Server
          locally as the testing server for the site .. without it, the ASP code
          doesn't know what to do.

> Is there something I can do or does CS4 handle this better? I am working
          > on
          > MacPro, 10.5.5 and 4 GB of RAM. The developer is working in DW CS3 on a PC
          > and
          > has no issues.

The advantage of CS4 would be the new Live View which renders like a browser
          within Dreamweaver itself. But once again, with ASP pages, the testing
          server has to come into play and that is probably the problem on your
          machine.

--
          Nancy Gill
          Adobe Community Expert
          Author: Dreamweaver 8 e-book for the DMX Zone
          Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
          Technical Editor: Dreamweaver CS3: The Missing Manual,
          DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A Beginner's Guide
          Mastering Macromedia Contribute
          Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web Development

• 2. Re: ASP Crashes DW CS3
            Guidingbyte Level 1
            Thanks for the quick reply. I figured that was the problem, not having an ASP local server. That's why I deleted the ASP reference from the code and resaved as HTML. Thinking that once my edits were done I could just paste back in the ASP references that I cut save it as ASP and FTP it back and it should work. However even after I strip the code of the ASP references it is still really slow.

• 3. Re: ASP Crashes DW CS3
              Level 7
              That seems to me to be a very strange solution. You need to have a testing
              server that recognizes ASP .. now your functionality is lost. I don't
              understand why you don't need that.

Nancy

"Guidingbyte" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gespqp$lur$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks for the quick reply. I figured that was the problem, not having an
              > ASP
              > local server. That's why I deleted the ASP reference from the code and
              > resaved
              > as HTML. Thinking that once my edits were done I could just paste back in
              > the
              > ASP references that I cut save it as ASP and FTP it back and it should
              > work.
              > However even after I strip the code of the ASP references it is still
              > really
              > slow.
              >
              >
              >

• 4. Re: ASP Crashes DW CS3
                EntropySJ
                I am having a similar issue as well. For me I have found that embedded vbscript within a option input tag is causing it. Maybe there's an issue with embedding code into input tags.
                • 5. Re: ASP Crashes DW CS3
                  Level 7
                  EntropySJ wrote:
                  > I am having a similar issue as well. For me I have found that embedded vbscript within a option input tag is causing it. Maybe there's an issue with embedding code into input tags.

I have been working on ASP for years, my testing server is either my
                  online server or another in house server, I barely ever use a local one.

There are known issues with using ASP Command Server Behaviours that
                  cause Dreamweaver to crash, the resolution is to use Recordsets instead.

If you are having problems with ASP and form fields crashing Dreamweaver
                  then you are suffering from the Daylight Time Savings bug that corrupts
                  the cache file. Its been mentioned loads on this forum, just do a search
                  and your solution will become present.

If that doesn't fix it, save your asp page as a .txt, upload it and post
                  a link to it so that we can look at it.

Dooza

--
                  Posting Guidelines
                  http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/guidelines.html
                  How To Ask Smart Questions
                  http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html