9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2008 12:47 PM by R Neil Haugen RSS

Presets or?

R Neil Haugen MVP
      Help!

I've only been using LR since 1.0 or 1.1, but I'm still not understanding how to do something that seems so basic it SEEMS like it's got to be there. I'm still on 1.4 waiting for a) a few of the issues of 2.0 to be resolved and b) get a little less busier so I have time to change.

The Problem:

Say, I've done Auto tone, and it's got each image with individual settings, and then I want to increase the contrast 20 points for all of them.

THE ONLY way I've found to do this is to go through each image ... maybe hundreds in a wedding ... and add 20 points contrast.

If I use a preset it just makes all of them the same number, of course. I just want 20 points more than the Auto or default or a preset or whatever. Or of course, any other control.

How the heck do I do what seems like it should be so simple, and how do the rest of you accomplish this if there isn't a way? Do you really sit and touch each image?

Neil
        • 1. Re: Presets or?
          Lee Jay-7OQGJF Community Member
          Use quick-develop in the Library module. Changes made there are *relative* not absolute like they are in Develop.
          • 2. Re: Presets or?
            R Neil Haugen MVP
            Thanks, I'll try that.

Admittedly, I've never used Quick Develop ... the one-five-ten unit change model hasn't thrilled me but mebbe I'd better try it.

Still seems ... like there should be another way, rather than bouncing forth and back between Lib and Dev modes more often.

Oh well.

Neil
            • 3. Re: Presets or?
              > Still seems ... like there should be another way, rather than bouncing forth and back between Lib and Dev modes more often.

I agree. But this works.
              • 4. Re: Presets or?
                R Neil Haugen MVP
                And no Auto-sync. So I have to take several steps in the Sync dialog box. Bother.

Oh well, thanks for the help.

Neil
                • 5. Re: Presets or?
                  john beardsworth MVP
                  No - you select multiple items in the grid, not in the filmstrip - then QD adjustments apply to all selected items.

John
                  • 6. Re: Presets or?
                    R Neil Haugen MVP
                    Ah. Thanks, I'm sure I've seen that somewhere but personally found the QD so clunky I have always personally used Dev.

It's personally frustrating that the ONLY way to have relative changes comes in units of 5 or 20, with no way to make them a preset.

Yo know, if I didn't have so much work to do, maybe I could play around for a couple weeks and figure all the whistles and bells out.

Between the studio, starting a new brand, a family and home life, when the hades is one supposed to find time? Sigh.

And I've been around to many tutorial sites ... most of the time wasted. I would like so much to find a succint, yet detailed info source for this program. Written for a portrait/wedding photog who doesn't live by "in the ballpark is good enough". Sigh.

Rant over ...

Neil
                    • 7. Re: Presets or?
                      R Neil Haugen MVP
                      Ack!

So, I went to Grid mode, selected the images, then to E (enlarge) mode so I could see one big enough to really evaluate it ... and it doesn't apply the changes to the other selected images!

You have stay in grid mode looking at THUMBNAILS to get changes to all the selected files.

I KNOW the LR team works their hearts out, but sometimes ... I wonder if ANYONE there actually has ever worked in a small studio before, there are so many design criteria that seem to indicate not. Sigh.

Neil
                      • 8. Re: Presets or?
                        The thinking there is you don't want to be adjusting multiple images if you can't see that you are actually doing that. So, "E" (Loupe mode) runs on the image you see, not all the rest.

Of course, you can make the thumbs almost full screen if you max out their size.
                        • 9. Re: Presets or?
                          R Neil Haugen MVP
                          Ah, I see ... they're trying to prevent me from hurting myself. Thanks, I'm sure. <g><br /><br />On my system, the slider on the side for up-down movement on the grid is so touchy that it is almost impossible to get a "ful-screen" thumb totally in the screen without a great deal of futzing, using either the pen-tab or the mouse or even the scroll-wheel. Oh well.<br /><br />Thanks, of course!<br /><br />Neil