2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2008 1:11 PM by factorypolaris

Using Flex App On Home Page?

factorypolaris
      Is it a good idea to embed flash 9 content (video gallery & forms) on the home page of a site? What I mean is, if I put a flex app on the home page of a site that needs to accomodate most everyday users, Is there going to be any issues with having people turn around an leave cause the dont want to hit the install button. The site is a well known car dealer, not a bad site. What percentage of browsers will already be ready to go with the flash 9+ version already installed. I have not been able to find any data regarding this. Your input would be helpfull to me. I know this may not be the best place to ask (there may be some bias). The guys over the the AJAX/Javascript librarys dont reccomend it and they say to use Javascript. But I like Flex Better!

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Using Flex App On Home Page?
          Level 7

"factorypolaris" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gfdrkb$69j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Is it a good idea to embed flash 9 content (video gallery & forms) on the
          > home
          > page of a site? What I mean is, if I put a flex app on the home page of a
          > site
          > that needs to accomodate most everyday users, Is there going to be any
          > issues
          > with having people turn around an leave cause the dont want to hit the
          > install
          > button. The site is a well known car dealer, not a bad site. What
          > percentage
          > of browsers will already be ready to go with the flash 9+ version already
          > installed. I have not been able to find any data regarding this. Your
          > input
          > would be helpfull to me. I know this may not be the best place to ask
          > (there
          > may be some bias). The guys over the the AJAX/Javascript librarys dont
          > reccomend it and they say to use Javascript. But I like Flex Better!

I think you're more likely to get people to turn around and leave for
          usability reasons.

Top reasons I leave flash-based sites:

1) The Flash doohicky on the main page wastes my time (no, a skip intro
          button does not help)
          2) The Flash content assaults my senses (i.e. sound or excessive motion)
          3) The designer thinks it's "cute" to hide features so I have to dig
          around to try to just get basic information
          4) The navigation actually moves so I have to chase it down.

I wouldn't think the Flash 9 player would be that big of an issue, since the
          most recent version is 10.

HTH;

Amy

• 2. Re: Using Flex App On Home Page?
            factorypolaris Level 1
            Thanks for the response. I have avoided all you speak of. I just want to make sure most users will be able to use the site without too much hassle of installing at startup. Im going for it!

Thanks