36 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2008 6:40 PM by Newsgroup_User

Protect Image from Copying

DBistrow Level 1
      Can anyone tell me how to protect images on my site from being copied?

Is there a way to code or something in Dreamweaver I can implement to prevent a right click copy?

I'm currently using Dreamweaver 8.

Thank you
        • 1. Re: Protect Image from Copying
          joeq Level 1
          can't be done effectively.

quote:

Originally posted by: DBistrow
          Can anyone tell me how to protect images on my site from being copied?

Is there a way to code or something in Dreamweaver I can implement to prevent a right click copy?

I'm currently using Dreamweaver 8.

Thank you

• 2. Re: Protect Image from Copying
            jerr3d
            the most effective way i've seen doesn't keep them from being copied, but it does protect the image,

using Photoshop

to put a big semi-transparent artist sig right across the picture
            • 3. Re: Protect Image from Copying
              Level 7
              Hello,

Read this:

http://continue.to/hope

Take care,
              Tim

"DBistrow" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gf2feq$l25$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Can anyone tell me how to protect images on my site from being copied?
              >
              > Is there a way to code or something in Dreamweaver I can implement to
              > prevent
              > a right click copy?
              >
              > I'm currently using Dreamweaver 8.
              >
              > Thank you
              >

• 4. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                Level 1
                DBistrow,

If you are really "that" concerned about your images being stolen on Internet, then perhaps that you should not put any images online at all.

Not that images are being stolen on the Internet, in fact, browsers store all your images in cache. Unless someone instructs the browser NOT to store any images on its cache, then it is a different story.

The alternative option is obvious... put copyright information and watermark it on every image. I know it is not a ideal solution, but this will prevent someone else to pass off and act like as if they own it themselves.

Sorry can't be much of further help.

Good luck!
                • 5. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                  Level 7
                  On 07 Nov 2008 in macromedia.dreamweaver, DBistrow wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to protect images on my site from being
                  > copied?
                  >
                  > Is there a way to code or something in Dreamweaver I can implement
                  > to prevent a right click copy?
                  >

No.

http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/web1/how_do_i_stop_downloading.htm

--
                  Joe Makowiec
                  http://makowiec.net/
                  Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
                  • 6. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                    Level 7
                    I have been to sites that seem to have the images protected in that you get
                    a message that pops up when you right click. I once created a page (several
                    years ago) that I set a behavior of a pop up message when the visitor
                    right-clicked, which in essence kept them from saving the image. There
                    might be away around it, but it would discourage a good about of people.

Gary

"DBistrow" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:gf2feq$l25$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >
                    > prevent
                    > a right click copy?
                    >
                    >
                    > Thank you
                    >

• 7. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                      Level 7
                      >I have been to sites that seem to have the images protected in that you get
                      >a message that pops up when you right click

None work reliably.

>I set a behavior of a pop up message when the visitor right-clicked, which
                      >in essence kept them from saving the image. There might be away around it,
                      >but it would discourage a good about of people.

It also sends a message to visitors that they're not to be trusted and
                      dissuades them from visiting your site again. They'll undoubtedly get what
                      they want from another website anyway. What's to be gained by turning them
                      away?

Plus, one of the hallmarks of amateur web design is disabling or changing
                      browser functionality. There is never a need to disable or amend browser
                      behaviour. Design around it instead. Watermark your images or just don't
                      upload them.

--
                      Regards

John Waller

• 8. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                        Level 7
                        Well John, I was not addressing the morality of it, but the technical
                        aspect. I have seen it done and why it is written that it cant seems to
                        perplex me.

"John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
                        news:gf47qg$2d1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > >I have been to sites that seem to have the images protected in that you
                        > >get a message that pops up when you right click
                        >
                        > None work reliably.
                        >
                        >>I set a behavior of a pop up message when the visitor right-clicked, which
                        >>in essence kept them from saving the image. There might be away around
                        >>it, but it would discourage a good about of people.
                        >
                        > It also sends a message to visitors that they're not to be trusted and
                        > dissuades them from visiting your site again. They'll undoubtedly get what
                        > they want from another website anyway. What's to be gained by turning them
                        > away?
                        >
                        > Plus, one of the hallmarks of amateur web design is disabling or changing
                        > browser functionality. There is never a need to disable or amend browser
                        > behaviour. Design around it instead. Watermark your images or just don't
                        > upload them.
                        >
                        >
                        > --
                        > Regards
                        >
                        > John Waller

• 9. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                          Level 7
                          Hello,

There are many simple ways around it, and it doesn't work at all in some
                          browsers.
                          It also irritates people who use right click to bookmark, refresh, etc.
                          It might deter the complete novice who is using IE and doesn't know how to
                          take a screen shot or click File> Save As.., but are these the people likely
                          to want your image?
                          Someone who wants to use your image for their website, for example, will
                          know that the image is already on his or her computer in the browser's
                          cache. There's nothing you can do about that. They have every image on your
                          page before your page displays in the browser.
                          If your images are so good that people will want to use them, watermark them
                          or don't put them on the web.

Take care,
                          Tim

"GPaul" <gwpaul@ptd.net> wrote in message
                          news:gf41bl$nrn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >a message that pops up when you right click. I once created a page
                          >(several years ago) that I set a behavior of a pop up message when the
                          >visitor right-clicked, which in essence kept them from saving the image.
                          >There might be away around it, but it would discourage a good about of
                          >people.
                          >
                          > Gary
                          >
                          >
                          > "DBistrow" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          > news:gf2feq$l25$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >> Can anyone tell me how to protect images on my site from being copied?
                          >>
                          >> Is there a way to code or something in Dreamweaver I can implement to
                          >> prevent
                          >> a right click copy?
                          >>
                          >> I'm currently using Dreamweaver 8.
                          >>
                          >> Thank you
                          >>
                          >
                          >

• 10. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                            Level 7
                            It can't because there is no method that works reliably. All can be easily
                            gotten around. And each time someone posts a lame method that will only
                            work in one browser or on one platform or with one mouse, it propagates the
                            myth. Please don't.

--
                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                            Adobe Community Expert
                            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                            ==================
                            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            ==================

news:gf481a$2j6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > Well John, I was not addressing the morality of it, but the technical
                            > aspect. I have seen it done and why it is written that it cant seems to
                            > perplex me.
                            >
                            >
                            > "John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
                            > news:gf47qg$2d1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >> >I have been to sites that seem to have the images protected in that you
                            >> >get a message that pops up when you right click
                            >>
                            >> None work reliably.
                            >>
                            >>>I set a behavior of a pop up message when the visitor right-clicked,
                            >>>which in essence kept them from saving the image. There might be away
                            >>>around it, but it would discourage a good about of people.
                            >>
                            >> It also sends a message to visitors that they're not to be trusted and
                            >> dissuades them from visiting your site again. They'll undoubtedly get
                            >> what they want from another website anyway. What's to be gained by
                            >> turning them away?
                            >>
                            >> Plus, one of the hallmarks of amateur web design is disabling or changing
                            >> browser functionality. There is never a need to disable or amend browser
                            >> behaviour. Design around it instead. Watermark your images or just don't
                            >> upload them.
                            >>
                            >>
                            >> --
                            >> Regards
                            >>
                            >> John Waller
                            >
                            >

• 11. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                              Level 7
                              >>I was not addressing the morality of it

Huh? Where did John mention morality?

>I have seen it done and why it is written that it cant seems to perplex me.

Show us where you have seen it done.

--

Walt

news:gf481a$2j6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Well John, I was not addressing the morality of it, but the technical
                              > aspect. I have seen it done and why it is written that it cant seems to
                              > perplex me.
                              >
                              >
                              > news:gf47qg$2d1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >> >I have been to sites that seem to have the images protected in that you
                              >> >get a message that pops up when you right click
                              >>
                              >> None work reliably.
                              >>
                              >>>I set a behavior of a pop up message when the visitor right-clicked,
                              >>>which in essence kept them from saving the image. There might be away
                              >>>around it, but it would discourage a good about of people.
                              >>
                              >> It also sends a message to visitors that they're not to be trusted and
                              >> dissuades them from visiting your site again. They'll undoubtedly get
                              >> what they want from another website anyway. What's to be gained by
                              >> turning them away?
                              >>
                              >> Plus, one of the hallmarks of amateur web design is disabling or changing
                              >> browser functionality. There is never a need to disable or amend browser
                              >> behaviour. Design around it instead. Watermark your images or just don't
                              >> upload them.
                              >>
                              >>
                              >> --
                              >> Regards
                              >>
                              >> John Waller
                              >
                              >

• 12. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                Level 7
                                Yes...the morality of it... you should do it / you should not do it.
                                Sometimes people here are like pipesmokers, flyfisherman and bowhunters,
                                that elite group that practices the only "pure" form of the art. They
                                create faux rules to be abided by to or you are not a "true" designer.

The OP asked how to protect an image, not the high browed opinions as to
                                whether it should be done or not. He/she asked if there is a way to stop
                                right click copy of an image. If you set a behavior of a pop up message from
                                a right click, it would stop this. There are other ways to get the image if
                                you really want it (print screen/paste...etc), but that was not the
                                question.

And the site I was thinking of is www.swingslifestyle.com

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                                news:gf4bug$7fb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >>>I was not addressing the morality of it
                                >
                                > Huh? Where did John mention morality?
                                >
                                >>I have seen it done and why it is written that it cant seems to perplex
                                >>me.
                                >
                                > Show us where you have seen it done.
                                >
                                >
                                > --
                                >
                                > Walt
                                >
                                >
                                > "GPaul" <gwpaul@ptd.net> wrote in message
                                > news:gf481a$2j6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >> Well John, I was not addressing the morality of it, but the technical
                                >> aspect. I have seen it done and why it is written that it cant seems to
                                >> perplex me.
                                >>
                                >>
                                >> "John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
                                >> news:gf47qg$2d1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >>> >I have been to sites that seem to have the images protected in that you
                                >>> >get a message that pops up when you right click
                                >>>
                                >>> None work reliably.
                                >>>
                                >>>>I set a behavior of a pop up message when the visitor right-clicked,
                                >>>>which in essence kept them from saving the image. There might be away
                                >>>>around it, but it would discourage a good about of people.
                                >>>
                                >>> It also sends a message to visitors that they're not to be trusted and
                                >>> dissuades them from visiting your site again. They'll undoubtedly get
                                >>> what they want from another website anyway. What's to be gained by
                                >>> turning them away?
                                >>>
                                >>> Plus, one of the hallmarks of amateur web design is disabling or
                                >>> changing browser functionality. There is never a need to disable or
                                >>> amend browser behaviour. Design around it instead. Watermark your images
                                >>> or just don't upload them.
                                >>>
                                >>>
                                >>> --
                                >>> Regards
                                >>>
                                >>> John Waller
                                >>
                                >>
                                >
                                >

• 13. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                  Level 7
                                  No, the people here with experience try to give additional information in an
                                  effort to help someone.
                                  Sharing the fact that disable right click is amateur, doesn't work and so on
                                  is not a faux rule to be abided by.
                                  It's simply good advice.

Many people like this forum because people with experience don't just give
                                  the recipe the person is looking for, they add some
                                  real world experience and offer advice to try to HELP the user avoid some
                                  mistakes or mis-understandings.
                                  Offering someone information he or she may not have considered is neither
                                  elitist or judgmental of whether someone is a "true" designer (Who even said
                                  that?).

It's simply kind and responsible.

Take care,
                                  Tim

news:gf4cju$8a6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > Yes...the morality of it... you should do it / you should not do it.
                                  > Sometimes people here are like pipesmokers, flyfisherman and bowhunters,
                                  > that elite group that practices the only "pure" form of the art. They
                                  > create faux rules to be abided by to or you are not a "true" designer.
                                  >
                                  > The OP asked how to protect an image, not the high browed opinions as to
                                  > whether it should be done or not. He/she asked if there is a way to stop
                                  > right click copy of an image. If you set a behavior of a pop up message
                                  > from a right click, it would stop this. There are other ways to get the
                                  > image if you really want it (print screen/paste...etc), but that was not
                                  > the question.
                                  >
                                  > And the site I was thinking of is www.swingslifestyle.com
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > "Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                                  > news:gf4bug$7fb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  >>>>I was not addressing the morality of it
                                  >>
                                  >> Huh? Where did John mention morality?
                                  >>
                                  >>>I have seen it done and why it is written that it cant seems to perplex
                                  >>>me.
                                  >>
                                  >> Show us where you have seen it done.
                                  >>
                                  >>
                                  >> --
                                  >>
                                  >> Walt
                                  >>
                                  >>
                                  >> "GPaul" <gwpaul@ptd.net> wrote in message
                                  >> news:gf481a$2j6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  >>> Well John, I was not addressing the morality of it, but the technical
                                  >>> aspect. I have seen it done and why it is written that it cant seems to
                                  >>> perplex me.
                                  >>>
                                  >>>
                                  >>> "John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
                                  >>> news:gf47qg$2d1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  >>>> >I have been to sites that seem to have the images protected in that
                                  >>>> >you get a message that pops up when you right click
                                  >>>>
                                  >>>> None work reliably.
                                  >>>>
                                  >>>>>I set a behavior of a pop up message when the visitor right-clicked,
                                  >>>>>which in essence kept them from saving the image. There might be away
                                  >>>>>around it, but it would discourage a good about of people.
                                  >>>>
                                  >>>> It also sends a message to visitors that they're not to be trusted and
                                  >>>> dissuades them from visiting your site again. They'll undoubtedly get
                                  >>>> what they want from another website anyway. What's to be gained by
                                  >>>> turning them away?
                                  >>>>
                                  >>>> Plus, one of the hallmarks of amateur web design is disabling or
                                  >>>> changing browser functionality. There is never a need to disable or
                                  >>>> amend browser behaviour. Design around it instead. Watermark your
                                  >>>> images or just don't upload them.
                                  >>>>
                                  >>>>
                                  >>>> --
                                  >>>> Regards
                                  >>>>
                                  >>>> John Waller
                                  >>>
                                  >>>
                                  >>
                                  >>
                                  >
                                  >

• 14. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                    Level 7
                                    Did you see Joe's excellent link? Here it is again

http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/web1/how_do_i_stop_downloading.htm

--
                                    Jo

>a message that pops up when you right click. I once created a page
                                    >(several years ago) that I set a behavior of a pop up message when the
                                    >visitor right-clicked, which in essence kept them from saving the image.
                                    >There might be away around it, but it would discourage a good about of
                                    >people.
                                    >
                                    > Gary
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > "DBistrow" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                    > news:gf2feq$l25$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    >>
                                    >> Is there a way to code or something in Dreamweaver I can implement to
                                    >> prevent
                                    >> a right click copy?
                                    >>
                                    >> I'm currently using Dreamweaver 8.
                                    >>
                                    >> Thank you
                                    >>
                                    >
                                    >

• 15. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                      Level 7
                                      On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 10:52:22 -0500, "GPaul" <gwpaul@ptd.net> wrote:

>Yes...the morality of it...

It's simply not a question of morals. It's a question of effectiveness. There is
                                      simply no effective means to do what was asked. That being the case, the
                                      original poster was advised not to waste time trying it.

Gary
                                      • 16. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                        Level 7
                                        Use Flash to display them. It doesn't stop someone doing a print-screen but
                                        it does avoid ugly hacks.

"DBistrow" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote
                                        >
                                        > prevent
                                        > a right click copy?
                                        >

• 17. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                          bregent Most Valuable Participant
                                          >I have seen it done and why it is written that it cant seems to perplex me.

The OP asked if they can prevent images from being copied, and the replies given by most were accurate - they cannot. They also asked if there is a way to prevent a right click copy. Again, there is not. There is javascript you can add to the page that disables right click altogether, but does not specifically disable copy. In addition, it's a simple matter to disable javascript which will then allow right click functionality. But there are easier ways to get the image - the simplest is to simply drag and drop the image from the web page to your desktop. Other ways include looking in your browser cache, screenshots, and looking at the source code.

The vast majority of people that are using copyrighted images in ways that will harm the copyright owner already know all of the ways to get 'protected' images from web pages. Putting a 'right click disable' javascript is pointless and only harms the visitor that wants to use their mouse for other functions.

>And the site I was thinking of is www.swingslifestyle.com

First of all, if you are going to post a link to a porn site please have the courtesy to warn folks that might be browsing from work, or have children in the room, or might be offended. Second, I see nothing on that site at all that is preventing right clicking, or any other means of copy protecting. Perhaps you had a different site in mind?
                                          • 18. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                            Level 7

WOW! Just the use of the word "should" invokes morality to you?

And yet you offer a link to a porn site and think nothing of it.

AMAZING!

Seems like you could use a dose of morality.
                                            --

Walt

news:gf4cju$8a6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                            >
                                            > The OP asked how to protect an image, not the high browed opinions as to
                                            > whether it should be done or not. He/she asked if there is a way to stop
                                            > right click copy of an image. If you set a behavior of a pop up message
                                            > from a right click, it would stop this. There are other ways to get the
                                            > image if you really want it (print screen/paste...etc), but that was not
                                            > the question.
                                            >
                                            > And the site I was thinking of is www.swingslifestyle.com
                                            >
                                            >
                                            >
                                            >
                                            > "Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                                            > news:gf4bug$7fb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                            >>>>I was not addressing the morality of it
                                            >>
                                            >> Huh? Where did John mention morality?
                                            >>
                                            >>>I have seen it done and why it is written that it cant seems to perplex
                                            >>>me.
                                            >>
                                            >> Show us where you have seen it done.
                                            >>
                                            >>
                                            >> --
                                            >>
                                            >> Walt
                                            >>
                                            >>
                                            >> "GPaul" <gwpaul@ptd.net> wrote in message
                                            >> news:gf481a$2j6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                            >>> Well John, I was not addressing the morality of it, but the technical
                                            >>> aspect. I have seen it done and why it is written that it cant seems to
                                            >>> perplex me.
                                            >>>
                                            >>>
                                            >>> "John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
                                            >>> news:gf47qg$2d1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                            >>>> >I have been to sites that seem to have the images protected in that
                                            >>>> >you get a message that pops up when you right click
                                            >>>>
                                            >>>> None work reliably.
                                            >>>>
                                            >>>>>I set a behavior of a pop up message when the visitor right-clicked,
                                            >>>>>which in essence kept them from saving the image. There might be away
                                            >>>>>around it, but it would discourage a good about of people.
                                            >>>>
                                            >>>> It also sends a message to visitors that they're not to be trusted and
                                            >>>> dissuades them from visiting your site again. They'll undoubtedly get
                                            >>>> what they want from another website anyway. What's to be gained by
                                            >>>> turning them away?
                                            >>>>
                                            >>>> Plus, one of the hallmarks of amateur web design is disabling or
                                            >>>> changing browser functionality. There is never a need to disable or
                                            >>>> amend browser behaviour. Design around it instead. Watermark your
                                            >>>> images or just don't upload them.
                                            >>>>
                                            >>>>
                                            >>>> --
                                            >>>> Regards
                                            >>>>
                                            >>>> John Waller
                                            >>>
                                            >>>
                                            >>
                                            >>
                                            >
                                            >

• 19. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                              Level 7

>a message that pops up when you right click.

This is comparable to "protecting" your house from being robbed by putting a
                                              rope across the driveway.

--
                                              Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                                              Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                                              Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                                              --

• 20. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                Level 7
                                                How about if you tie a really, really good knot?

--

Walt

"P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <signup1REMOVE@ayersvirtualREMOVE.com> wrote in message
                                                news:gf570n$b3b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                >
                                                > "GPaul" <gwpaul@ptd.net> wrote in message
                                                > news:gf41bl$nrn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                >
                                                >>I have been to sites that seem to have the images protected in that you
                                                >>get a message that pops up when you right click.
                                                >
                                                > This is comparable to "protecting" your house from being robbed by putting
                                                > a rope across the driveway.
                                                >
                                                >
                                                > --
                                                > Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                                                > Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                                                > Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                                                > --
                                                >

• 21. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                  Level 7
                                                  > How about if you tie a really, really good knot?

...and use really, really strong rope? or even steel cable?

--
                                                  Regards

John Waller
                                                  • 22. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                    Level 7

Seems to me that you're mistaking practical, real world advice borne of
                                                    experience for a purist approach.

No-one is saying that prevent-right-click scripts can't be done. They might
                                                    make you feel better about what you may be tempted to think of as the
                                                    improved security of your images but don't delude yourself that they're
                                                    achieving anything.

In short, we are saying that it's not worth the time and effort to add
                                                    futile code to your page. Watermark your images.

--
                                                    Regards

John Waller

• 23. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                      malcster2 Level 1
                                                      i checked every single picture on the link (several times in fact), and you could right click on them all...
                                                      • 24. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                        DBistrow Level 1
                                                        WOW, quite a discussion and no concrete answer except moving around and through the diversions I take it protecting images can't be done.

The images I was discussing are going to be registered trademark types and yes I certainly know they are protected by law. So is illegal entrance to my home but that doesn't stop a burglar from entering even with ADT protection.

I remember going to several sites some years ago because I was putting together a collection of art, some nudes both paintings and photography, not pornography but from professionals. Before I get blasted on that these were seductive poses much of what you would find at an art museum. I also give full credit and obtain permission where required once using these.

I ran into one or two sites where the images had watermarks, which wouldn't work on a logo/banner, I don't want that to show up.

However, some images did in fact, have some sort of blocking method from copying because the right click procedure for copying an internet image was unavailable. I don't have the site in favorites and don't remember the name. If I recall I will provide a link with a prior warning.

It wasn't my imagination, I've done several sites as a non-professional over the years so I recognized this happened and decided to pose the question. If we don't have a a concrete answer we should at least be civil.

I thank everyone's participation however. Thank You.
                                                        • 25. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                          malcster2 Level 1
                                                          right clicking can produce messages to say the pics are copyrighted, this can put off people who don't understand how the web and browsers work, but the fact is, to view pics on a web page, you have to download the contents first, so you are actually forcing people to download the pages and images

it would be illegal to use them without your permission, but that would be almost impossible to police.

• 26. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                            Level 7
                                                            Except when the visitor is on a Mac where the mouse doesn't have a right
                                                            button....

It's exceptions like this that make the effort a wasted one.

--
                                                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                            Adobe Community Expert
                                                            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                                            ==================
                                                            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                                            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                                            ==================

"malcster2" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                            news:gf6s6c$hke$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                            > right clicking can produce messages to say the pics are copyrighted, this
                                                            > can
                                                            > put off people who don't understand how the web and browsers work, but the
                                                            > fact
                                                            > is, to view pics on a web page, you have to download the contents first,
                                                            > so you
                                                            > are actually forcing people to download the pages and images
                                                            >
                                                            > it would be illegal to use them without your permission, but that would be
                                                            > almost impossible to police.
                                                            >
                                                            >
                                                            >

• 27. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                              Level 7

>
                                                              > However, some images did in fact, have some sort of blocking method from
                                                              > copying because the right click procedure for copying an internet image was
                                                              > unavailable.

If you go to http://continue.to/hope some different methods of blocking this
                                                              can be seen and their pro/con discussed.

--
                                                              Alan
                                                              Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 28. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                                Level 7
                                                                > "DBistrow" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote

"Stevio" <redeagle@freeuk.com> wrote
                                                                > Use Flash to display them. It doesn't stop someone doing a print-screen
                                                                > but it does avoid ugly hacks.

No one has replied to my suggestion to use Flash. Sure you can just take a
                                                                screenshot and use that, but as we've discussed, there is no foolproof way
                                                                to stop people taking images.

If someone wishes to implement a scheme to make it difficult to copy images
                                                                then that is up to them. Imho if you do put something in place, it will stop
                                                                the majority of web sites users from copying them, many (most?) of whom
                                                                would have no idea what a "cache" is, and many of whom probably couldn't be
                                                                bothered taking the time to get the images if they can't just save them.

We don't know why he wants to do it, but putting off most users may be all
                                                                that he wants. If that is the case, then I suggest Flash to be the most
                                                                effective method since it does not involve any messy hacks that may prevent
                                                                other browser functions from working.

Thoughts?

• 29. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                                  Level 7
                                                                  On 09 Nov 2008 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Stevio wrote:

> No one has replied to my suggestion to use Flash. Sure you can just
                                                                  > take a screenshot and use that, but as we've discussed, there is no
                                                                  > foolproof way to stop people taking images.

If you like the way a Flash slideshow works to display images, go for
                                                                  it. Don't use it in a misguided attempt to 'protect' them.

> If someone wishes to implement a scheme to make it difficult to copy
                                                                  > images then that is up to them. Imho if you do put something in
                                                                  > place, it will stop the majority of web sites users from copying
                                                                  > them, many (most?) of whom would have no idea what a "cache" is, and
                                                                  > many of whom probably couldn't be bothered taking the time to get
                                                                  > the images if they can't just save them.
                                                                  >
                                                                  > We don't know why he wants to do it, but putting off most users may
                                                                  > be all that he wants. If that is the case, then I suggest Flash to
                                                                  > be the most effective method since it does not involve any messy
                                                                  > hacks that may prevent other browser functions from working.
                                                                  >
                                                                  > Thoughts?

The thing is, you're not putting off anybody. A very high percentage
                                                                  of people don't want your images anyway. And of the people who want to
                                                                  get them, those who don't know how to get them can find out in short
                                                                  order.

But since these methods by and large try to cripple a legitimate
                                                                  functionality of the browser, you're inconveniencing a large number of
                                                                  site visitors who use right-click for things other than stealing
                                                                  images. So all these javascript methods of 'protecting' images have
                                                                  done is annoy most of the web-using world without having any practical
                                                                  effect.

--
                                                                  Joe Makowiec
                                                                  http://makowiec.net/
                                                                  Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
                                                                  • 30. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                                    Level 7
                                                                    "Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
                                                                    >> We don't know why he wants to do it, but putting off most users may
                                                                    >> be all that he wants. If that is the case, then I suggest Flash to
                                                                    >> be the most effective method since it does not involve any messy
                                                                    >> hacks that may prevent other browser functions from working.
                                                                    >
                                                                    > The thing is, you're not putting off anybody. A very high percentage
                                                                    > of people don't want your images anyway. And of the people who want to
                                                                    > get them, those who don't know how to get them can find out in short
                                                                    > order.

I think, without knowing why he is asking or who his target audience is, we
                                                                    should not be so harsh in our replies.

> But since these methods by and large try to cripple a legitimate
                                                                    > functionality of the browser, you're inconveniencing a large number of
                                                                    > site visitors who use right-click for things other than stealing
                                                                    > images. So all these javascript methods of 'protecting' images have
                                                                    > done is annoy most of the web-using world without having any practical
                                                                    > effect.

Exactly. So use Flash. It offers basic "protection" without causing anyone
                                                                    any hassle. To use an earlier analogy, people have alarms in their houses,
                                                                    but it wouldn't stop an expert from breaking in and taking what they wanted
                                                                    and getting away with it.

People are lazy, if they want something they'll find it on another site
                                                                    rather than the one where they have to do a bit of work to get the image.

• 31. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                                      Level 7
                                                                      >use Flash. It offers basic "protection" without causing anyone any hassle

Hardly. You are ignoring those who have Flash disabled.
                                                                      --

Walt

"Stevio" <redeagle@freeuk.com> wrote in message
                                                                      news:gf71q3$ogn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                      > "Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
                                                                      >>> We don't know why he wants to do it, but putting off most users may
                                                                      >>> be all that he wants. If that is the case, then I suggest Flash to
                                                                      >>> be the most effective method since it does not involve any messy
                                                                      >>> hacks that may prevent other browser functions from working.
                                                                      >>
                                                                      >> The thing is, you're not putting off anybody. A very high percentage
                                                                      >> of people don't want your images anyway. And of the people who want to
                                                                      >> get them, those who don't know how to get them can find out in short
                                                                      >> order.
                                                                      >
                                                                      > I think, without knowing why he is asking or who his target audience is,
                                                                      > we should not be so harsh in our replies.
                                                                      >
                                                                      >> But since these methods by and large try to cripple a legitimate
                                                                      >> functionality of the browser, you're inconveniencing a large number of
                                                                      >> site visitors who use right-click for things other than stealing
                                                                      >> images. So all these javascript methods of 'protecting' images have
                                                                      >> done is annoy most of the web-using world without having any practical
                                                                      >> effect.
                                                                      >
                                                                      > Exactly. So use Flash. It offers basic "protection" without causing anyone
                                                                      > any hassle. To use an earlier analogy, people have alarms in their houses,
                                                                      > but it wouldn't stop an expert from breaking in and taking what they
                                                                      > wanted and getting away with it.
                                                                      >
                                                                      > People are lazy, if they want something they'll find it on another site
                                                                      > rather than the one where they have to do a bit of work to get the image.
                                                                      >

• 32. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                                        Level 7

"John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
                                                                        news:gf5mjb$g3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                        >> How about if you tie a really, really good knot?
                                                                        >
                                                                        > ...and use really, really strong rope? or even steel cable?

Other people do it. I've seen it. So I *know* it's not true when people say
                                                                        that there's no way to protect your house.

:-)

--
                                                                        --

• 33. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                                          Level 7

"P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <signup1REMOVE@ayersvirtualREMOVE.com> wrote in message
                                                                          news:gf7mnm$l54$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                          >
                                                                          > news:gf5mjb$g3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                          >>> How about if you tie a really, really good knot?
                                                                          >>
                                                                          >> ...and use really, really strong rope? or even steel cable?
                                                                          >
                                                                          > Other people do it. I've seen it. So I *know* it's not true when people
                                                                          > say that there's no way to protect your house.

I don't get mail or UPS delivery or trash pickup anymore, but at least I've
                                                                          done *something* to protect my house. :-)

--
                                                                          --

• 34. Protect Image from Copying
                                                                            Level 1
                                                                            DBistrow,

When you say there is "no concrete answer" in this particular forum discussion. Actually, the problem IS that you are not willing to take some other participants, including myself, with some concrete suggestions, guideline and facts... There are lot of pretty good answers in first few replies.

If you insists that you think that we are wrong. Then do your way of doing things YOU want. Quit squabble and move on.

Good luck!

quote:

Originally posted by: DBistrow
                                                                            WOW, quite a discussion and no concrete answer except moving around and through the diversions I take it protecting images can't be done.

• 35. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                                              matthew stuart Level 2
                                                                              I haven't read the whole post, cos it's too long, but why not have a mouse over action on the image that needs protecting. When the user mouses over the image, have it swap to another image that blatantly states, sorry image protected against download... when the user mouses back out, it swaps back to the image you want to protect.

Surely that would work for the majority of cases. So, now I have opened the door for those who argue the toss about javascript being disabled... I have never in all my years come across a pc where a browser has javascript disabled. I know they do exist, but, as far as I know, I have never come across one in more than 10 years of doing internety type things ;)

If somebody really wants your pictures though, they'll eventaully find a way that you can't get around.

Mat
                                                                              • 36. Re: Protect Image from Copying
                                                                                Level 7
                                                                                In the case where you must protect your image from the novice user, I like
                                                                                your rollover idea as a way to remind people of copyright.
                                                                                It's infinitely better than adjusting the visitors UI with disable right
                                                                                click

"If somebody really wants your pictures though, they'll eventually find a
                                                                                way
                                                                                that you can't get around."
                                                                                Absolutely. All they have to do is look in their cache. It's there before
                                                                                the page even displays.
                                                                                Anyone who actually wants to pirate the images already knows how to get
                                                                                them.

Take care,
                                                                                Tim

"matthew stuart" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                                                news:gf7trl$kh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                                >I haven't read the whole post, cos it's too long, but why not have a mouse
                                                                                >over
                                                                                > action on the image that needs protecting. When the user mouses over the
                                                                                > image,
                                                                                > have it swap to another image that blatantly states, sorry image protected
                                                                                > against download... when the user mouses back out, it swaps back to the
                                                                                > image
                                                                                > you want to protect.
                                                                                >
                                                                                > Surely that would work for the majority of cases. So, now I have opened
                                                                                > the
                                                                                > door for those who argue the toss about javascript being disabled... I
                                                                                > have
                                                                                > never in all my years come across a pc where a browser has javascript
                                                                                > disabled.
                                                                                > I know they do exist, but, as far as I know, I have never come across one
                                                                                > in
                                                                                > more than 10 years of doing internety type things ;)
                                                                                >
                                                                                > If somebody really wants your pictures though, they'll eventaully find a
                                                                                > way
                                                                                > that you can't get around.
                                                                                >
                                                                                > Mat
                                                                                >