3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 5:40 AM by numberonesuperguy

Script: Creating layers and copy/pasting

numberonesuperguy Level 1
      I have a JSON data structure that I import from a file, that defines a heirarchy that I need to recreate as a tree.
      At each point in the tree, I need to load an image and position it correctly on the screen (all data from my JSON file).

I can write script to create the heirarchy (using addNewLayer() and addNewSubLayer() ) fine.
      I can write script to import all the graphics fine too.

However, if I try to combine the two by importing the graphic at the point of creating the layer, it fails. Trying to create the next layer for the next graphic fails, with a '-1073741819' message.

I've been stuck on this problem for days now, and I got to this point by getting stuck on other problems, so this is my last option for what I'm doing! (part of exporting graphics for Blu-ray production)

The only other option of avoiding this cryptic error message would be to create the layers, then import the graphics afterwards, and then re-position the graphics in the correct layers...

What WOULD be really really useful would be to get into email-or-otherwise conversation with the Fireworks javascript experts so that I could discuss the other dead-ends I came to (which is resulting in me going back to Photoshop for this last colour-reduction phase)

Many thanks,

Nathan.
        • 1. Re: Script: Creating layers and copy/pasting
          I'm trying to get to the bottom of this, and after my loop of load-copy-paste of all my individual graphics into my main document, I tried to call fw.getDocumentDOM() again, and that call throws an error code of '-2147216341'.

So, if copy-n-paste from one document to another (and then closing the one document) leaves FW in a state of 'I dont know what document im focused on', I think the question I need to ask is how do I tell FW to focus back on my original document? It must be hiding in the online docs somewhere...!
          • 2. Re: Script: Creating layers and copy/pasting
            Well for those of you interested, it seems doc.moveSelectionToLayer() will move layers around. (Thanks to the 'Arrange Commands' at Senocular.com).

If there's anyone at Adobe who watches these forums, can I suggest that the APIs need changing so that the Layer object should contain its index (ie UID). If you write a function to find a layer by a pseudo path using 'doc.topLayers' then I can't find a reliable way to relate that back to an index in 'doc.layers'.

I would still really appreciate any help on why I get exceptions when I open-n-cut-n-paste-n-close. *please!*
            • 3. Re: Script: Creating layers and copy/pasting
              Well it looks like what I really needed was doc.importFile().

Many thanks to John Dunning for hosting a scripts ('Page Commands') that used this. It's in the FW documentation, but I obviously overlooked it. However, its funny (and reasuring) John was also having the same problem when using an alternate doc after calling doc.close().