1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 8, 2006 3:28 PM by Newsgroup_User

Problems porting an application from single server to cluster

xdeleon
      I tried switching the scope from session to client globally, but at least one of the session variables is an array.
      "Invalid client variable contents The value of the client variable navigation is not a string, number, boolean, or date/time value."
      I'm a bit rusty, and this is a very old app. It worked with minimal modification when we moved from 5 to 7, but it's not liking the dual server model .

Does anyone have any general advice on the topic? I can post some code if it will help.
        • 1. Re: Problems porting an application from single server to   cluster
          Level 7
          xdeleon wrote:
          > I tried switching the scope from session to client globally, but at least one
          > of the session variables is an array.
          > "Invalid client variable contents The value of the client variable navigation
          > is not a string, number, boolean, or date/time value."
          > I'm a bit rusty, and this is a very old app. It worked with minimal
          > modification when we moved from 5 to 7, but it's not liking the dual server
          > model .
          >
          > Does anyone have any general advice on the topic? I can post some code if it
          > will help.
          >

Because client variables are stored in a database (at least I assume
          that's where you're storing them), they have to be simple name/value
          pairs. You can of course store session variables that are complex data
          types (even CFCs). If session persistence across servers isn't
          mandatory you might consider using sticky sessions and just using
          session variables--this way when a user hits a particular server they
          stay on that server for the duration of their session.

Also be aware that depending on how you use client variables, CF caches
          them and you might not see the behavior you're expecting. When we went
          to a multi-server environment we noticed that if a user got bounced from
          one server to another, in certain situations client variables would get
          updated in the database with the cached value of the client variable on
          a particular server. We went with sticky sessions in combination with
          client variables for now, and are moving all the client variables to
          session variables and using sticky sessions in the next version of our
          application.

Matt

--
          Matt Woodward
          mpwoodward@gmail.com
          Adobe Community Expert - ColdFusion