10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 9:34 AM by Highland Matt D

Damaged AIR file

Highland Matt D
      I'm having trouble getting my my AIR app to install on certain systems via the badge when AIR is not already installed.

The message I get is "The application could not be installed because the AIR file is damaged". This is not the case though. The application installs fine on many systems with or without AIR previously installed. Also, other AIR applications install fine on the same system, so there must be something wrong with the way I am configuring the badge.

Here's the exact steps I do that produce this error:
      1. remove AIR from the system via control panel applet(Vista sp1)
      2. browse to download page for my app and click on the badge
      3. the badge informs me that AIR is being installed and seems to proceed as expected
      4. the AIR dialog popups up and tells me that it's preparing to install the application
      5. once the progress bar fills up I get the message "The application could not be installed because the AIR file is damaged"

Any idea what could cause that message or more particulary, how can I fix this problem?

Thanks,

--matt
        • 1. Re: Damaged AIR file
          tzeng Adobe Employee
          Could you get the application installation log and post here?

-ted
          • 2. Re: Damaged AIR file
            Highland Matt D Level 1
            My logs are below. Another thing to note is that after doing this, AIR does not show up in the control panel as being installed. My download page is at www.personalwealthguru.com/download

.airappinstall.log =
            Starting app install of http://www.personalwealthguru.com/versions/PWG.air
            UI SWF load is complete
            UI initialized
            Unpackaging to C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\fla3068.tmp
            unpackaging is complete
            application is bound to side-by-side version 1.0
            application is bound to this version of the runtime
            app id com.attraction.PersonalWealthGuru
            pub id 2D49604378B663F295AB9F42CF24287826D07737.1
            application currently installed to C:\Program Files
            failed while unpackaging: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #1009" errorID=1009]
            starting cleanup of temporary files
            application installer exiting

.aiinstall.log =
            UI SWF load is complete
            stateRunningAppInstaller: appinstaller -runtime C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\AIR2772.tmp -playerVersion=9,0,115,0 -sandboxType=remote -securityDomain=airdownload.adobe.com -https=false -fromUserEvent=true -- -withRuntime -url http://www.personalwealthguru.com/versions/PWG.air
            App installer failed; exit code 7
            begin quitting
            • 3. Re: Damaged AIR file
              tzeng Adobe Employee
              It looks like you have installed the app. on the system already.
              --
              application currently installed to C:\Program Files
              --
              Could you uninstall the app. first and try again?

-ted
              • 4. Re: Damaged AIR file
                Highland Matt D Level 1
                If I uninstall the application it turns out that this works. It seems like there should be a better message though. If it said "This application is already installed" rather than "The AIR file is damaged" it would have saved me a whole bunch of time, and then users won't be calling me for tech support and telling me that I have a corrupted file on my web site.
                • 5. Re: Damaged AIR file
                  tzeng Adobe Employee
                  This might be a bug.

Normally, If the app. has been installed, the Installer should ask users either wants to update (if it is a different version), or says the version has already been installed.

We have not seen this. If you can duplicate the problem, please let me know.

Thanks,

-ted
                  • 6. Re: Damaged AIR file
                    Highland Matt D Level 1
                    This is easy to duplicate. I just uninstall the AIR runtime, but leave my application installed. Then I go to my download page and click on the install now button. Next I get the little white message box that tells me I need to install AIR, I go ahead and install it and then AIR starts downloading my app. Once the app is done downloading I get the error about the file being damaged and the system is left in a state where the AIR runtime doesn't show up in the control panel as being installed although it does seem to be installed.
                    • 7. Re: Damaged AIR file
                      goviatt

We have found that this situation may occur with an install of an AIR file on a Vista machine, where the AIR file is stored on a networked drive.  Copy the file to the local machine, then install from the local drive.

• 8. Re: Damaged AIR file
                        Highland Matt D Level 1

FWIW, this was indeed on a Vista machine but no networked drive was involved.

• 9. Re: Damaged AIR file
                          Alan----G

Out of interest, where are the log files that you have included in the original post?

We recently had an AIR file failure due to '&' in an image file name (see http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-10582) and it would probably help in future if we can see where the AIR install is failing ..

thanks, Alan

• 10. Re: Damaged AIR file
                            Highland Matt D Level 1

This happened so long ago I don't have the logs anymore.  I think I did post

the logs in the original thread though.  I didn't have an '&' in the image

name though, so I don't think that was causing my problem.