2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 6:30 AM by ReubenH

Synthesizing MP3 data...

ReubenH Level 1
      Hi,

I am observing a small but significant delay betwen calling Sound.play() and the sound actually being played. The nature of the program I am writing requires that there be no delay here at all, or at least a constant delay, or else the playback (of lots of small sample mp3s) sounds bad.

To get around this I was wondering how one might go about synthesizing an MP3 stream...

Is it possible to fake up a stream of bytes and present it to the media API as an MP3 to be played? Or is this right out of court? The idea comes from a project I saw recently - Quake implemented in Silverlight - which fakes up the graphics by generating a PNG image for each frame.

Many thanks!
        • 1. Re: Synthesizing MP3 data...
          Level 7

"ReubenH" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:geq63p$rco$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi,
          >
          >
          > I am observing a small but significant delay betwen calling Sound.play()
          > and
          > the sound actually being played. The nature of the program I am writing
          > requires that there be no delay here at all, or at least a constant delay,
          > or
          > else the playback (of lots of small sample mp3s) sounds bad.
          >
          > To get around this I was wondering how one might go about synthesizing an
          > MP3
          > stream...
          >
          > Is it possible to fake up a stream of bytes and present it to the media
          > API as
          > an MP3 to be played? Or is this right out of court? The idea comes from a
          > project I saw recently - Quake implemented in Silverlight - which fakes up
          > the
          > graphics by generating a PNG image for each frame.

http://dispatchevent.org/roger/embed-almost-anything-in-your-swf/

• 2. Re: Synthesizing MP3 data...
            ReubenH Level 1
            Thanks, but that's just about embedding arbitrary data. Am more interested in generating an audio stream on the fly...

Luckily for it me it seems flash.media.Sound and friends got exactly this capability in Flash Player 10 (Astro).