15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2008 12:45 PM by Newsgroup_User

Linking 'Hidden' pages

PiperdogDesign
      I have a business website piperdogdesign.com.au. I now want to make another website within that website. Basically I want to place my own website showing I am a graphic designer into the Piperdog website, but I don't want it to be a link on the piperdog home page. I want to be able to tell someone that they can view my graphic design work by going to piperdogdesign.com.au/michelle. How do I upload my 'michelle' page? Do all html pages have to be linked from the main index page? I don't want to spend the money to go buy a new domain name etc and want to be able to utilise the piperdog site and just tell certain people they can view my work on a certain page. I hope I am making sense here.
        • 1. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
          bregent Most Valuable Participant
          >How do I upload my 'michelle' page?

Just create a directory called michelle. Create a page and name it using the server default filename - probably index.html or similar.

>Do all html pages have to be linked from the main index page?

Of course not. If you are just going to give the url out to a few folks, then that's fine. And if there are no links to that page on the site, then search engines won't find it either when they index your site - which sounds like what you want.
          • 2. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
            PiperdogDesign Level 1
            I made the folder on my local site called Michelle and included the homepage in that folder then I uploaded the Michelle folder to my remote site. Now what? I have an index page for the piperdog website, so am I suppose to call my Michelle index page 'index2.html' or what? How do I go from having a folder on my remote site to actually getting it to work when you type in an address? Do I tell people the link to my page is www.piperdogdesign.com.au/index2(or whatever I name it).htlm? I'm not very literate in dreamweaver so sorry if I sound stupid.
            • 3. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
              Level 7
              PiperdogDesign wrote:
              > I made the folder on my local site called Michelle and included the homepage in
              > that folder then I uploaded the Michelle folder to my remote site.

Thats it. Make sure the landing page inside the michelle folder is the
              name of the default server page, i.e., index.html

Once someone types in

www.piperdogdesign.com.au/michelle

The server will look for the index.html page within the michelle folder.

• 4. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
                bregent Most Valuable Participant
                >I have an index page for the piperdog website, so am I suppose to call my Michelle index page 'index2.html'

No, name it index.html. The index.html in the site root is a different url than www.piperdogdesign.com.au/michelle/index.html.
                • 5. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
                  PiperdogDesign Level 1
                  I don't get what I am doing wrong, it's still not working. My MIchelle folder is placed inside my piperdog folder right (I don't know where else I could place it). I uploaded the Michelle folder to the remote site and in that Michelle folder I have my swf file (that makes up my page) and index.html. When I go to type in piperdogdesign.com.au/michelle it says 404 not found.
                  • 6. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
                    Level 7
                    piperdogdesign.com.au/Michelle

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    ==================
                    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    ==================

"PiperdogDesign" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:genv34$isj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I don't get what I am doing wrong, it's still not working. My MIchelle
                    >folder
                    > is placed inside my piperdog folder right (I don't know where else I could
                    > place it). I uploaded the Michelle folder to the remote site and in that
                    > Michelle folder I have my swf file (that makes up my page) and index.html.
                    > When I go to type in piperdogdesign.com.au/michelle it says 404 not found.
                    >

• 7. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
                      Level 7
                      PiperdogDesign posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> When I go to type in
                      > piperdogdesign.com.au/michelle it says 404 not found.

http://piperdogdesign.com.au/michelle/
                      and
                      http://www.piperdogdesign.com.au/michelle/
                      both work for me.

Note that you're using Apache server (case-sensitive), so

http://www.piperdogdesign.com.au/Michelle/

is a different URL and does not exist.

--
                      Mark A. Boyd
                      Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                      • 8. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
                        PiperdogDesign Level 1
                        I actually had the michelle folder in the wrong location. On my piperdog site I didn't realise I had a 'website folder' and that was where I should have put it in the first place. I moved it and now it works.
                        • 9. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
                          Level 7
                          PiperdogDesign posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> I actually had the michelle folder in the wrong location. On my
                          > piperdog site I didn't realise I had a 'website folder' and that
                          > was where I should have put it in the first place. I moved it and
                          > now it works.

Excellent. Guess I just had the luck of timing in seeing it after you
                          fixed it.

--
                          Mark A. Boyd
                          • 10. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
                            Level 7

> On my piperdog site
                            > I didn't realise I had a 'website folder' and that was where I should have put
                            > it in the first place.

Use the "host directory" line of the remote server info to set any default
                            hosting folder such as www or public_html

The site should be defined both local and remote to the folder directly
                            containing the "homepage" index file

--
                            Alan
                            Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 11. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
                              JoeCooley
                              Thanks for this. I was having a similar problem. Forgot that it was case sensitive.
                              • 12. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
                                Level 7
                                On 03 Nov 2008 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Mark A. Boyd wrote:

> Note that you're using Apache server (case-sensitive),

Not necessarily. Apache does run well on Windows, and if that Windows
                                machine has NTFS, it's not case-sensitive. Most Apache installs are on
                                some kind of Unixish box, though, and most filesystems on Unixish boxes
                                are case-sensitive.

--
                                Joe Makowiec
                                http://makowiec.net/
                                Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
                                • 13. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
                                  Level 7
                                  Joe Makowiec posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> On 03 Nov 2008 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Mark A. Boyd wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Note that you're using Apache server (case-sensitive),
                                  >
                                  > Not necessarily. Apache does run well on Windows, and if that
                                  > Windows machine has NTFS, it's not case-sensitive. Most Apache
                                  > installs are on some kind of Unixish box, though, and most
                                  > filesystems on Unixish boxes are case-sensitive.

You're right. Thanks for the correction.

In this case I lucked out:

Server: Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat)

Though I did test case-sensitivity before posting, I will strive for
                                  accuracy in such statements in the future.

--
                                  Mark A. Boyd
                                  • 14. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
                                    PiperdogDesign Level 1
                                    Are you answering the question of how to make my michelle folder the default for all uploaded files to go to? Because whenever I upload anything now, it goes to the main piperdog website instead of going to the michelle folder. I have been deleting my michelle folder each time and re uploading the entire folder when I have new content which I know is a waste of time. So step by step, how do I make michelle folder my designated folder for uploading new content?
                                    • 15. Re: Linking 'Hidden' pages
                                      Level 7

> how do I make michelle folder my designated folder for uploading new
                                      > content?

More info??

Do you want to define a new site that uses only the michelle folder as it's
                                      "root"?

Then make a new site definition, and in the "host directory" line of the
                                      remote server info, set the path to that folder.

You need two site definitions, one to the root level main site, and one to
                                      the "subsite" in the michelle folder that is inside of the main site.

[do Not use any site root relative paths when working on the michelle site]

--
                                      Alan
                                      Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/