9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2008 4:49 AM by copperstick

Problem with Quicktime Native Controls

copperstick
      I have a quick question just to see if anyone else has had this problem.

I use Director for product animation DVDs, usualy I use scripted rewind, fast forward, etc...buttons to control the movies. A guy wanted me to use the Quicktime native controls instead but when I check for them to show, it crashes the program. Now I know that I was able to do this before but now I cant...this is happening in 9, 10 AND 11. I was using 11 but I downgraded to a previous version to see if I could do it in the previous version but it it doing it in all version. I was able to do this before in both 9 and 10.

the only thing different than before is that I have 11 and a new computer but cant think of any reason why that would be an issue.

anyone have this problem with Director shutting down when attempting to turn on native quicktime controls? any idea why it would do this?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide...
        • 1. Re: Problem with Quicktime Native Controls
          Level 7
          Make sure your stage *isn't* displaying a video sprite whose member
          you're changing the .controller property of.

Which version of QT do you have installed?
          • 2. Re: Problem with Quicktime Native Controls
            copperstick Level 1
            I am sorry but I am not quite sure what you mean. When I drop the movie onto the stage...I touch on the movie, I go to the property inspector and the Quicktime tab. I then activate the check box that says 'controls' and the program crashes instantly after I check the box. this happens when I have nothing but a stage and an imported movie.

I am using Quicktime 7.5... If it is a problem with QT, that will be a big problem and I fear if I cant get this feature to work, then I will have to look into using something else. All QT movies play just fine if I dont need to use the native controls for quicktime player...
            • 3. Re: Problem with Quicktime Native Controls
              Level 7
              copperstick wrote:
              > I am using Quicktime 7.5... If it is a problem with QT, that will be
              > a big problem and I fear if I cant get this feature to work, then I
              > will have to look into using something else. All QT movies play just
              > fine if I dont need to use the native controls for quicktime player...

Can't you fake them...

Andrew

• 4. Re: Problem with Quicktime Native Controls
                copperstick Level 1
                I did have controls I made myself but they want the slider that comes with quicktime...and director SHOULD be able to allow the use of native controls. Most cases I would just work around it and worry about it later but the requirement for the assignment is using the native controls and to be honest, this is something director should do and for some reason is failing to allow. I would like to find out why it isnt allowing it.
                • 5. Re: Problem with Quicktime Native Controls
                  Level 7
                  copperstick wrote:
                  > I did have controls I made myself but they want the slider that comes
                  > with quicktime...and director SHOULD be able to allow the use of
                  > native controls. Most cases I would just work around it and worry
                  > about it later but the requirement for the assignment is using the
                  > native controls and to be honest, this is something director should
                  > do and for some reason is failing to allow. I would like to find out
                  > why it isnt allowing it.

Does it work properly with QT6? And just because it /should/ do something,
                  doesn't mean it will :-(

Andrew

• 6. Re: Problem with Quicktime Native Controls
                    copperstick Level 1
                    It was working before maybe I updated QT since then and thats the problem. If so, them I will have to switch what I do my DVDs and CDs on since I cannot dictate what version of Quicktime people who are looking at the movie are using. It has to work with the newest QT or I guess I will have to go to something like Flash. It unfortunate because I like Director much better and all my work is currently in Director and it will cause a big headache to switch.
                    • 7. Re: Problem with Quicktime Native Controls
                      Level 7
                      You don't really need to convert your whole project over to Flash... I
                      mean if the issue is just that you can't use Quicktime, you can simply
                      convert your videos to .avi, .mpg, .rv, or one of the innumerable other
                      formats that Director supports (even .flv if you have a .swf wrapper for
                      it). Or instead of using the Quicktime xtra to import the movies, you
                      can use MpegAdvance which is much more stable anyway.

Or, since you say that you already have it working with custom controls,
                      you can just make a new set of graphics for it that match the QT native
                      controls. As far as the client will see, they will appear to be the
                      native controls. That would seem far easier than redoing the whole
                      thing in Flash.
                      • 8. Re: Problem with Quicktime Native Controls
                        johnAq
                        Are you on Mac or PC?

It sounds like a driver conflict - I can activate the controls in D9 & 10 with QT for win 7.5.5. Have you tried another computer?

hth

johnAq
                        • 9. Re: Problem with Quicktime Native Controls
                          copperstick Level 1
                          Thanks, apparently that was the problem, updated drivers and it works!!