11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 3:24 PM by thynctank

AIR 1.5 (Partially) Broken on OS X?

thynctank Level 1
      When installing the runtime for 1.5, I get strange behavior: the agreement step has no legalese in it. See http://screencast.com/t/G7N7iwnKx for a screenshot.

If I click around on this dialog, eventually it crashes with an "Adobe AIR Installer quit unexpectedly" generic OS X message.

Not sure what else I can provide to help diagnose this.

I've downloaded the installer multiple times, have uninstalled previous versions and have no luck.

Also of note: If I click continue, the installer finishes, but one of the few AIR apps I run (Spaz) fails to start correctly. Another app, Snackr, which is Flex-based, works fine.

Is there some way to obtain an older runtime now? I can't find a link.
        • 1. Re: AIR 1.5 (Partially) Broken on OS X?
          tzeng Adobe Employee
          Could you get the installation log?
          To get the log, open a terminal, then type the command:
          touch .airinstall.log

After the installation, then post the .airinstall.log's content.

-ted
          • 2. Re: AIR 1.5 (Partially) Broken on OS X?
            thynctank Level 1
            Install log is as follows for a "successful" install:

Performing runtime install
            UI SWF load is complete
            UI initialized
            starting user confirmation
            Installation type: new
            starting elevated install
            subinstaller: starting install
            subinstaller: Scheduling runtime installation operations
            subinstaller: Beginning runtime installation
            subinstaller: Beginning install
            subinstaller: Copying /Volumes/Adobe AIR/Adobe AIR Installer.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework to /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework
            subinstaller: Copying /Volumes/Adobe AIR/Adobe AIR Installer.app to /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app
            subinstaller: Copying /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/Current/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app to /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file1
            subinstaller: Deleting /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/Current/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app
            subinstaller: Copying /Volumes/Adobe AIR/Adobe AIR Installer.app to /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Resources/Adobe AIR Updater.app
            subinstaller: Copying /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Resources/Adobe AIR Updater.app/Contents/Frameworks to /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file2
            subinstaller: Deleting /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Resources/Adobe AIR Updater.app/Contents/Frameworks
            subinstaller: Copying /Volumes/Adobe AIR/Adobe AIR Installer.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app to /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app
            subinstaller: Registering /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app/Contents/Info.plist
            subinstaller: Copying /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app/Contents/Info.plist to /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file3
            subinstaller: Deleting /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app/Contents/Info.plist
            subinstaller: chown of /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework completed with status 0
            subinstaller: chown of /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app completed with status 0
            subinstaller: chown of /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app completed with status 0
            subinstaller: Execution complete; beginning commit phase
            subinstaller: Deleting /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file1
            subinstaller: Deleting /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file2
            subinstaller: Deleting /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file3
            subinstaller: Commit complete
            subinstaller: install complete
            subinstaller: begin quitting
            Elevated install completed
            • 3. Re: AIR 1.5 (Partially) Broken on OS X?
              thynctank Level 1
              For a successful uninstall:

UI SWF load is complete
              UI initialized
              Installation type: patchSame
              starting elevated install
              subinstaller: starting uninstall
              subinstaller: Beginning install
              subinstaller: Copying /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework to /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file1
              subinstaller: Deleting /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework
              subinstaller: Copying /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app to /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file2
              subinstaller: Deleting /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app
              subinstaller: Copying /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app to /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file3
              subinstaller: Deleting /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app
              subinstaller: Execution complete; beginning commit phase
              subinstaller: Deleting /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file1
              subinstaller: Deleting /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file2
              subinstaller: Deleting /private/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file3
              subinstaller: Commit complete
              subinstaller: install complete
              subinstaller: begin quitting
              Elevated install completed
              begin quitting
              • 4. Re: AIR 1.5 (Partially) Broken on OS X?
                thynctank Level 1
                And for the unsuccessful crash instance, the log terminates abruptly, as may be expected:

Performing runtime install
                UI SWF load is complete
                UI initialized
                Installation type: new
                • 5. Re: AIR 1.5 (Partially) Broken on OS X?
                  thynctank Level 1
                  Of note: I can adl source fine, it runs as expected, but when building from scratch with latest SDK, it fails in the real runtime.

Also of note: My other Mac is unffected, I see the legalese as expected in the installer, it doesn't crash, and apps run correctly with the runtime.
                  • 6. Re: AIR 1.5 (Partially) Broken on OS X?
                    zalfur Level 1
                    I think my problem is related to this - when I install AIR it also has no agreement text. Could this be related to fonts? Do either of your Macs have Adobe CS installed? Microsoft Office?
                    • 7. Re: AIR 1.5 (Partially) Broken on OS X?
                      thynctank Level 1
                      Neither of my machines has either CS or MS Office installed
                      • 8. Re: AIR 1.5 (Partially) Broken on OS X?
                        tzeng Adobe Employee
                        What is the OS version that you have installation problem with?

>I can adl source fine, it runs as expected, but when building from scratch with latest SDK, it fails in the real runtime.

Is it possible for you to provide a small sample app. to demo this problem?

-ted
                        • 9. Re: AIR 1.5 (Partially) Broken on OS X?
                          thynctank Level 1
                          Both machines (the one I'm able to run it on and the one I'm unable to run it on) are running OS X 10.5.5.

Note that even the most basic application XML, such as the following, will build fine, but once the .air app is installed and run, it will crash a few seconds after starting, every single time.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                          <application xmlns=" http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/1.0">
                          <id>Skeletal</id>
                          <filename>Skeletal</filename>
                          <name>Skeletal</name>
                          <version>v1</version>
                          <initialWindow>
                          <content>index.html</content>
                          <visible>true</visible>
                          <width>200</width>
                          <height>200</height>
                          </initialWindow>
                          </application>

This is why I'm blaming it on a corrupted/incompatible runtime. Absolutely no JavaScript, no swf files included. A simple blank HTML file will suffice. It will crash every time.
                          • 10. Re: AIR 1.5 (Partially) Broken on OS X?
                            tzeng Adobe Employee
                            We haven't been able to reproduce this problem. We will keep an eye on it.
                            Thanks for the information.

-ted
                            • 11. Re: AIR 1.5 (Partially) Broken on OS X?
                              thynctank Level 1
                              Just wanted to say thanks zalfur for pointing me to InputManagers as the culprit for my AIR 1.5 headache! For me it was SIMBL.