19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2010 6:45 PM by pumba83

Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?

Level 1
      Running XP-Pro; Bought upgrade from Creative Suite 3 Web Premium; unable to launch ... receive error... no problems with the rest of the suite.
        • 1. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
          Can you be more specific on the error you get?

h
          • 2. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
            jukkako
            Hi,
            I have the same problem as Marje. What the Crash Report flash window log says is attached as code. I hope it helps as there seem to be many of us suffering from the same problem.

Rgds,
            Jukkako
            • 3. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
              Level 1
              The yellow gradient appears, it indicates it is initializing tools, then the gradient disappears and I receive a small Alert window saying "Could not launch Fireworks. An internal error occurred."
              • 4. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                Level 7
                I had the same problem, as have others. It seems to be font related. In my
                case I corrected it by deleting a bunch of fonts, I have around two thousand
                fonts now and the FW problem has gone away. Not sure if it was a specific
                font, or if FW is simply not able to handle loading too many fonts.

"Marje" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gg7ae6$sal$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > The yellow gradient appears, it indicates it is initializing tools, then
                > the gradient disappears and I receive a small Alert window saying "Could
                > not launch Fireworks. An internal error occurred."

• 5. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                  Sarthak Singhal Adobe Employee
                  Mutliple users faced this issue and a lot of them have been able to resolve it by identifying the problem fonts under C:\Windows\Fonts folder.
                  • 6. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                    Level 1
                    Well, after several weeks of no Fireworks CS4 (I got an error at launch ), I successfully launched the program.

I began removing non-essential fonts, free fonts, dingbat fonts, and unusual fonts. About 50 at a time.

After about 3 hours of doing this, I got down to 1525 fonts (yes, I had lots of fonts) ... and at that point, FW CS4 opened for me.

FYI, I didn't own any of the fonts mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm assuming it was either the number of fonts I had (over 2000) or specific font(s) that was causing the problem.

I never did have to uninstall/reinstall the program.

Hope this helps someone else.
                    • 7. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                      ArunKaza Adobe Employee
                      Hi Marje,

I am glad that you are able to launch Fireworks now.
                      Out of the narrowed down fonts, can you find out which exact font is causing the problem on your machine? You can keep installing back fonts in a group of 10 or so such that FW stops launching at a particular group from which you can pin point the exact font. Post that font file here so that we can have a look at it.

Thanks,
                      Arun

quote:

Originally posted by: Marje
                      I began removing non-essential fonts, free fonts, dingbat fonts, and unusual fonts. About 50 at a time.

• 8. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?

I started looking for fonts  and etc, and in the middle of it i got Font Manager, wich did a great job at screwing up all my windows fonts and gave me a hell of a headache, anyways yesterday when i went to the folder Fonts i went to Properties > Previous Versions and there was one version from the day before i installed CS4 so i copied the files from there and replaced them all (lots of alt+y or clikcking involved) and then it just worked, so i went to bed today i wake up tried openning the software and there we go, same problem again, so ? any fix adobe ? i really love the software but i'm not really fond of losing money, something better than look in your fonts folder would be great. Ty.

• 9. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?

I am having a similar problem, but I don't think that its related to fonts.  One day I was launching fireworks and there was a launch error of some kind, so, like a genius, I selected the option that went along the lines of "Send crash report automatically and do not show this window again."  Big mistake.  I cannot even see what the error is anymore.  Worse yet, I uninstalled and reinstalled fireworks but that didn't solve the problem.  I'm operating windows XP pro on a pc.

• 10. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                            Mark Alan Thomas Level 1

I have never been able to launch Fireworks CS4 on either my PowerBook or my newish iMac regardless of which fonts I have installed. I don't even try anymore. I actually ran the uninstaller since the app was just taking up disk space. Total waste of time and money messing with it.

• 11. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                              Nadia-P Level 5

There's always this fix that has helped some people:

Restore default preferences

• Quit Fireworks.
                              • Locate the      Fireworks  Preferences file on your hard disk and delete      it.
                                The exact location of this file varies from system to system.
                              • In Windows, preferences      are      in your user-specific Fireworks      configuration folder.
                              • Windows [Drive]:\Documents and      Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\Adobe\Fireworks CS#\English\

• In Mac OS, preferences are      in      the Library/Preferences folder in your      user folder. For information about      locating      your Mac OS user folder, see Apple Help.

• Mac  [User]/Library/Preferences/Adobe      Fireworks CS#/en/Fireworks Preferences

• Note: On Mac OS,      most  Fireworks user-specific configuration files are stored in      your      user-specific Application Support      folder.

The Fireworks CS4 Preferences file is an exception.

• 3.  Restart Fireworks.
                              • The next time Fireworks is      launched, a new preferences      file will be      created that restores Fireworks to its original   configuration.
                              • 12. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                                Mark Alan Thomas Level 1

Ah ha, the Old Jedi Mind Trick! I'm almost embarrassed to admit that in all my troubleshooting it didn't even occur to me to trash the prefs. But you know, I'd never owned Fireworks prior to CS4 so naturally the prefs should have been pristine.

Of course, in order to try this I would have to reinstall Fireworks, and I have to say I don't really expect it to work. I suspect that something more deep-rooted is afoot, something pertaining, perhaps, to Adobe's infuriating authorizing/licensing system. I know people who pirated this software and can run Fireworks. Meanwhile, I own it legally and cannot. How sad is that?

Well, I suppose I'll have another espresso, maybe a cookie or two, and then consider running that big, bloated, clunky Adobe installer again. Sigh.…

• 13. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                                  Nadia-P Level 5

There isn't much out there in the tech notes for a non-launching FWs, that's probably the only one I could find, apart from the help here about the font issue which I didn't know about - so I can see how it would be frustrating for people.  Touch wood - I've been lucky, I have CS4 installed, but due to it being a hog resource, have switched back to CS3... (CS4 still installed though - but may need to remove it due to space consideration).

The preferences fix has helped a few, so it may help you - fingers crossed  :-)

The only other solution wouuld be to contact Adobe support (yes I know - groan!), but they may be able to help  :-)

• 14. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                                    mpjazzthang@yahoo.com

Hello,

I too have had the "Could not launch Fireworks. An internal error occurred" Adobe problem.

I run a Mac OS 10.6.1 Snow leopard, with paralles installed running Windows XP.

Fireworks tryout was installed on the Mac OS.

What I do to get around this problem is open Fontbook, and disable all my "Windows Office Compatible Fonts".

I then start Fireworks CS4, and it runs.

Then I enable all my "Windows Office Compatible Fonts".

Fireworks continues to run perfectly. It's just on startup that this message appears. It seems perhaps, that Adobe didn't copy the font checker from Photoshop correctly. That's where the font checker in Fireworks came from.

So why delete Fonts that you may need? Just disable them, and re-enable once Fireworks starts up.

And I will probably get sick of disabling my fonts every time I want to run Fireworks.

Hopefully, Adobe will come out with an update soon.

• 15. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                                      Caleb Zulawski

I am on Windows Vista Home Premium, and I have found the specific font that many people are complaining about.  It is a Texas Instruments Calculator font called "TI-86PcBold" with a filename of "TI-86BD.TFF"

If you don't have these TI fonts, then I can't help you.

• 16. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                                        mpjazzthang@yahoo.com Level 1

Thanks for the info,

But I don't have that font.

I'm on a Mac, 10.6.1

"Rien n&#39;est beau, que le vrai"

Margaret Paulson

Norwalk Hospital IT Dept.

Computer Operator/ Help Desk Analyst

cell: 203.516.8221

http://www.sunsetnet.net </html

• 17. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                                          burns57

I have the start up internal error with CS4 too.  I have read these threads and understand (I think ) what the problem is re: corrupt font/s.  However I am unable to resolve this.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Fireworks 3 times, I removed all non system/locked fonts from the fonts folder (I had none of the mentioned suspect fonts installed, and only have 87 fonts installed currently).

I installed the latest Fireworks CS4 update and still no joy!

I read also a suggestion to delete the Fireworks preferences folder and this is where I have a question.  I am told it is located in the Application Data folder (I am running Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium). But - this folder is not accessable to me - in explorer it appears as a short cut (as do My Documents and Local Settings, Start Menu, and Cookies). Now that seems odd to me.

I do have an Appdata/local/Adobe folder with some Adobe program folder there, but none for Fireworks or Photoshop or Dreamweaver.

I cannot open the Application Data folder - don't understand why this is, but could this be a cause of the problem I am having?  Anyone with insight please can you assist?

• 18. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                                            mpjazzthang@yahoo.com Level 1

The Preferences file you were looking for refers to Mac systems.

For Windows vista, this article explains in detail all the troubleshooting tips for Windows Vista:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405725.html

Mpau0516

• 19. Re: Final Resolution to the FW CS4 Launch Problem?
                                              pumba83

This solution works great for me, i think too that adobe will generate an upgrade for this issue