16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2008 11:56 AM by Newsgroup_User

DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site

NotVeryTechie
      Hi all, I am desperate. Yesterday our IT guy (outside consultant) set up WAMP for me and set up a test site on our company server. I have been using DW to update our actual site for a while and it has worked perfectly. Since the test site was set up, I can't sign pages out (they say they are read only) and I can't check in, which means I can't actually change anything. We didn't change any other settings on DW. Please help, pulling my hair out.
        • 1. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
          mpjx
          Hi

I assume for you post that Check In/Out is enabled in Dreamweaver for the test site? I also assume that teh Dreamweaver files window indicates that the files are locked?

It may be a permissions setting on the server folder which contains your test site - or permissions of the files themselves. I don't use Windows much so wouldn't like to say how to change permissions but there must be a way.

You might also want to speak to your IT guy, I assume he checked that the test site was editable before declaring himself finished?
          • 2. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
            Level 7
            Checkin/Checkout would have no effect on DW's interaction with the Testing
            server - only with the Remote site.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"mpjx" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gg6kke$1bq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi
            >
            > I assume for you post that Check In/Out is enabled in Dreamweaver for the
            > test
            > site? I also assume that teh Dreamweaver files window indicates that the
            > files
            > are locked?
            >
            > It may be a permissions setting on the server folder which contains your
            > test
            > site - or permissions of the files themselves. I don't use Windows much so
            > wouldn't like to say how to change permissions but there must be a way.
            >
            > You might also want to speak to your IT guy, I assume he checked that the
            > test
            > site was editable before declaring himself finished?
            >

• 3. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
              NotVeryTechie Level 1
              Oh dear, I am very new to this so I just don't know. I had the DW set up with Check In/Check Out and it all worked fine, and then we set up the test site so that we can try things out without mucking up the live site. The Check In/Check Out was supposed to only work on the live site. I don't even know where to look for these settings. I am really desperate! Our IT guy is not a web person and isn't on site. Don't really know what to do now.
              • 4. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
                Level 7
                If you choose SITE | Manage Sites... > (select site name) > Edit (and then
                click on the Advanced tab), you will be able to see the details for -

1. Your Local site
                2. Your Remote site
                3. Your Testing server

Can you tell us what you see on the Testing server page please?

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                ==================
                ==================

"NotVeryTechie" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gg6m4i$34d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Oh dear, I am very new to this so I just don't know. I had the DW set up
                > with
                > Check In/Check Out and it all worked fine, and then we set up the test
                > site so
                > that we can try things out without mucking up the live site. The Check
                > In/Check
                > Out was supposed to only work on the live site. I don't even know where to
                > look
                > for these settings. I am really desperate! Our IT guy is not a web person
                > and
                > isn't on site. Don't really know what to do now.
                >

• 5. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
                  NotVeryTechie Level 1
                  Looks like I may have just been a dunce (blushing). I changed the view from local view to remote view and now it seems to work. I still can't figure out why it was working before in Local View??
                  • 6. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
                    Level 7
                    I can't see any reason why changing your Files panel view would affect your
                    FTP connectivity at all....

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    ==================
                    ==================

"NotVeryTechie" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:gg6pd4$7av$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Looks like I may have just been a dunce (blushing). I changed the view
                    > from local view to remote view and now it seems to work. I still can't
                    > figure out why it was working before in Local View??

• 7. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
                      Level 7

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:59:16 +0000 (UTC)
                      NotVeryTechie said :

> Looks like I may have just been a dunce (blushing). I changed
                      > the view from local view to remote view and now it seems to work.
                      > I still can't figure out why it was working before in Local View??

No I don't think you have been a dunce ! <g> .....

I have not found this documented anywhere, .....

For the user who only has a remote server set up with no testing server :

When you fire up an instance of DW, any use of "put", "get", or "synchronise"
                      will connect to and interact with the remote server.

This is what you have been used to.

For the user who has both a remote server and a testing server set up:

When you fire up an instance of DW, any use of "put", "get", or "synchronise"
                      will connect to and interact with the _testing_ server.

That is, until you change to viewing the remote site, after which point any use
                      of "put", "get", or "synchronise" will interact with the "already connected
                      to" remote server.

Once you realise this, there is always the uncertainty of which server you
                      might be interacting with when using context menu commands from the local site
                      view once you have connected to the remote server, so for that reason I have
                      started to shut down DW after every remote server session. A fresh instance of
                      DW will then work with the testing server until the next remote site update is
                      performed.

This behaviour is not exactly what you might call intuitive, but the only other
                      approach would be to have a user option somewhere to swith context menu modes,
                      and I'm sure there are those who would suggest that to take that approach would
                      not be intuitive either.

So it is a case of realising what is going on, and working with it.

Hope this helps.

--
                      Ronnie MacGregor
                      Scotland

Ronnie at
                      dBASEdeveloper
                      dot co dot uk

www.dBASEdeveloper.co.uk

• 8. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
                        Level 7
                        Ronnie MacGregor wrote:
                        > For the user who has both a remote server and a testing server set up:
                        >
                        > When you fire up an instance of DW, any use of "put", "get", or "synchronise"
                        > will connect to and interact with the _testing_ server.

Not true. Many of my sites have both remote and testing servers defined.
                        Using put and get always connects to the remote server, never to the
                        testing server.

--
                        David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
                        Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
                        Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
                        http://foundationphp.com/
                        • 9. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
                          Level 7
                          >
                          > When you fire up an instance of DW, any use of "put", "get", or
                          > "synchronise"

That's not correct. By default, DW will choose the Remote server.

I agree with the remainder of your post, though.

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ==================
                          ==================

"Ronnie MacGregor" <NoSp@m.thanks> wrote in message
                          news:MPG.2391f0502d41c0c49896b6@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >
                          > On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:59:16 +0000 (UTC)
                          > NotVeryTechie said :
                          >
                          >> Looks like I may have just been a dunce (blushing). I changed
                          >> the view from local view to remote view and now it seems to work.
                          >> I still can't figure out why it was working before in Local View??
                          >
                          > No I don't think you have been a dunce ! <g> .....
                          >
                          > I have not found this documented anywhere, .....
                          >
                          > For the user who only has a remote server set up with no testing server :
                          >
                          > "synchronise"
                          > will connect to and interact with the remote server.
                          >
                          > This is what you have been used to.
                          >
                          >
                          > "synchronise"
                          >
                          > That is, until you change to viewing the remote site, after which point
                          > any use
                          > of "put", "get", or "synchronise" will interact with the "already
                          > connected
                          > to" remote server.
                          >
                          > Once you realise this, there is always the uncertainty of which server you
                          > might be interacting with when using context menu commands from the local
                          > site
                          > view once you have connected to the remote server, so for that reason I
                          > have
                          > started to shut down DW after every remote server session. A fresh
                          > instance of
                          > DW will then work with the testing server until the next remote site
                          > update is
                          > performed.
                          >
                          > This behaviour is not exactly what you might call intuitive, but the only
                          > other
                          > approach would be to have a user option somewhere to swith context menu
                          > modes,
                          > and I'm sure there are those who would suggest that to take that approach
                          > would
                          > not be intuitive either.
                          >
                          > So it is a case of realising what is going on, and working with it.
                          >
                          > Hope this helps.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Ronnie MacGregor
                          > Scotland
                          >
                          > Ronnie at
                          > dBASEdeveloper
                          > dot co dot uk
                          >
                          > www.dBASEdeveloper.co.uk
                          >
                          >
                          >

• 10. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
                            Level 7

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:51:44 +0000
                            David Powers said :

> > For the user who has both a remote server and a testing server set up:
                            > >
                            > > When you fire up an instance of DW, any use of "put", "get", or "synchronise"
                            > > will connect to and interact with the _testing_ server.
                            >
                            > Not true. Many of my sites have both remote and testing servers defined.
                            > Using put and get always connects to the remote server, never to the
                            > testing server.

Hmmmmmm .......

In order to be sure, I checked my development machine ....

DW CS3 v9.0 b3453 on WinXP Pro

.... and followed these steps :

Reboot Machine
                            Start an instance of DW
                            (DW starts in "local view mode")
                            Select a site
                            Highlight a file

From either the context menu or the toolbar on the Files tab :
                            "put" the file .... file is updated on testing server
                            "get" the file .... file is pulled in from testing server

Select Remote view .... remote connection is made
                            Select local view
                            Highlight a file
                            "put" the file .... file is updated on remote server
                            "get" the file .... file is pulled in from remote server

Use the toolbar button to break the remote connection.
                            Select Testing Server view
                            Select Local View
                            Highlight a file
                            "put" the file .... file is updated on testing server
                            "get" the file .... file is pulled in from testing server

So I stand by my original claim, this behaviour is true for me.

But this leaves the question as to why both you and Murray support an
                            alternative veiwpoint ....

There are of course many ways to perform a task. Some people might be in the
                            habit of synchronising testing server files from the testing server view, and
                            never actually put or get files to the testing server from the local view. And
                            that is just one example!

I ran a test in order to see why the described bahaviour might not be the
                            perceived "default" behaviour for someone else.

I closed an instance of DW while connected to the remote server.

Start an instance of DW
                            (DW starts in "local view mode")
                            Stick with the site last used
                            Highlight a file

From either the context menu or the toolbar on the Files tab :
                            "put" the file .... file is updated on remote server
                            "get" the file .... file is pulled in from remote server

So it seems that DW "remembers" the server that you last interacted with, and
                            in your next DW session it is that same server which wil be subject to "puts"
                            and "gets".

Further investigation shows that DW "remembers" this on a "per site" basis, so
                            when you return to do more work on a site you really are "starting where you
                            left off" in terms of which server you will be interacting with.

So now it is easy to see why, with different "DW user habits", the perceived
                            default behaviour will differ between individuals. In fact in this regard there
                            really is no "default" behaviour, it all depends on what you did last, and how
                            you left it.

I hope this clarifies things, and hope that you will agree with these
                            conclusions.

..... now would anyone else like to confirm or deny ? <g>

.... and having "wasted" <g> half an hour on this, I'd better go and do
                            something useful !! <g>

--
                            Ronnie MacGregor
                            Scotland

Ronnie at
                            dBASEdeveloper
                            dot co dot uk

www.dBASEdeveloper.co.uk

• 11. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
                              Level 7

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 07:39:33 -0500
                              Murray *ACE* said :

> > For the user who has both a remote server and a testing server set up:
                              > >
                              > > When you fire up an instance of DW, any use of "put", "get", or
                              > > "synchronise"
                              > > will connect to and interact with the _testing_ server.
                              >
                              >
                              > That's not correct. By default, DW will choose the Remote server.

Hmmmmm ..... That's not correct. <g>

This needs clarification .... see my reply to David.

> I agree with the remainder of your post, though.

Thanks.

--
                              Ronnie MacGregor
                              Scotland

Ronnie at
                              dBASEdeveloper
                              dot co dot uk

www.dBASEdeveloper.co.uk

• 12. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
                                Level 7
                                Yes, I believe this clarification is correct. Since I rarely *leave* DW
                                connected to the testing server, I had not noticed the memory effect (too
                                many times I have struggled with uploading a file, browsing to it, and not
                                seeing my changes repeatedly, only to discover I was uploading to the
                                testing server!).

--
                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                Adobe Community Expert
                                ==================
                                ==================

"Ronnie MacGregor" <NoSp@m.thanks> wrote in message
                                news:MPG.23935073d276c7bc9896b9@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >
                                > On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:51:44 +0000
                                > David Powers said :
                                >
                                >> > For the user who has both a remote server and a testing server set up:
                                >> >
                                >> > When you fire up an instance of DW, any use of "put", "get", or
                                >> > "synchronise"
                                >> > will connect to and interact with the _testing_ server.
                                >>
                                >> Not true. Many of my sites have both remote and testing servers defined.
                                >> Using put and get always connects to the remote server, never to the
                                >> testing server.
                                >
                                > Hmmmmmm .......
                                >
                                > In order to be sure, I checked my development machine ....
                                >
                                > DW CS3 v9.0 b3453 on WinXP Pro
                                >
                                > .... and followed these steps :
                                >
                                > Reboot Machine
                                > Start an instance of DW
                                > (DW starts in "local view mode")
                                > Select a site
                                > Highlight a file
                                >
                                > From either the context menu or the toolbar on the Files tab :
                                > "put" the file .... file is updated on testing server
                                > "get" the file .... file is pulled in from testing server
                                >
                                > Select Remote view .... remote connection is made
                                > Select local view
                                > Highlight a file
                                > "put" the file .... file is updated on remote server
                                > "get" the file .... file is pulled in from remote server
                                >
                                > Use the toolbar button to break the remote connection.
                                > Select Testing Server view
                                > Select Local View
                                > Highlight a file
                                > "put" the file .... file is updated on testing server
                                > "get" the file .... file is pulled in from testing server
                                >
                                >
                                > So I stand by my original claim, this behaviour is true for me.
                                >
                                > But this leaves the question as to why both you and Murray support an
                                > alternative veiwpoint ....
                                >
                                > There are of course many ways to perform a task. Some people might be in
                                > the
                                > habit of synchronising testing server files from the testing server view,
                                > and
                                > never actually put or get files to the testing server from the local view.
                                > And
                                > that is just one example!
                                >
                                > I ran a test in order to see why the described bahaviour might not be the
                                > perceived "default" behaviour for someone else.
                                >
                                > I closed an instance of DW while connected to the remote server.
                                >
                                > Start an instance of DW
                                > (DW starts in "local view mode")
                                > Stick with the site last used
                                > Highlight a file
                                >
                                > From either the context menu or the toolbar on the Files tab :
                                > "put" the file .... file is updated on remote server
                                > "get" the file .... file is pulled in from remote server
                                >
                                >
                                > So it seems that DW "remembers" the server that you last interacted with,
                                > and
                                > in your next DW session it is that same server which wil be subject to
                                > "puts"
                                > and "gets".
                                >
                                > Further investigation shows that DW "remembers" this on a "per site"
                                > basis, so
                                > when you return to do more work on a site you really are "starting where
                                > you
                                > left off" in terms of which server you will be interacting with.
                                >
                                >
                                > So now it is easy to see why, with different "DW user habits", the
                                > perceived
                                > default behaviour will differ between individuals. In fact in this regard
                                > there
                                > really is no "default" behaviour, it all depends on what you did last, and
                                > how
                                > you left it.
                                >
                                >
                                > I hope this clarifies things, and hope that you will agree with these
                                > conclusions.
                                >
                                > ..... now would anyone else like to confirm or deny ? <g>
                                >
                                > .... and having "wasted" <g> half an hour on this, I'd better go and do
                                > something useful !! <g>
                                >
                                > --
                                > Ronnie MacGregor
                                > Scotland
                                >
                                > Ronnie at
                                > dBASEdeveloper
                                > dot co dot uk
                                >
                                > www.dBASEdeveloper.co.uk
                                >
                                >
                                >

• 13. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
                                  Level 7
                                  Ronnie MacGregor wrote:
                                  > So it seems that DW "remembers" the server that you last interacted with, and
                                  > in your next DW session it is that same server which wil be subject to "puts"
                                  > and "gets".

Thank you for that detailed reply. You prompted me to do a little
                                  experimentation myself, and I can see how your scenario works. It seems
                                  to me that you must be storing files in three locations: local files, a
                                  testing server, and a remote server.

The key point is that your testing server must be in a different
                                  location from the other two. To the best of my knowledge, the most
                                  common setup with a local testing environment is for the testing server
                                  and local files to be in the same location. When using a remote server
                                  as the testing server, the remote server and testing server share the
                                  same location. In such a scenario, using put and get automatically
                                  selects the remote server.

It's only when the testing server is in a separate location that
                                  Dreamweaver remembers the most recent connection. If you're still
                                  connected to a particular server, it makes sense to use that connection,
                                  although I can see how it might confuse people.

--
                                  • 14. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
                                    Level 7

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:58:38 +0000
                                    David Powers said :

> Thank you for that detailed reply. You prompted me to do a little
                                    > experimentation myself, and I can see how your scenario works. It seems
                                    > to me that you must be storing files in three locations: local files, a
                                    > testing server, and a remote server.

Yes and no .... and sorry ... I should have made this clear at the outset.

Development machine WinXP Pro - no local data

Win2003 File server (and "WAMP" Testing Web Server) on same local subnet

All the data files are stored on one partition of RAID storage for ease of data
                                    backup.

The Testing server serves pages from a different partition on the same RAID
                                    "disk".

So a given file exists in three places, but two of those places are on the same
                                    machine.

From the DW perspective :
                                    "Local View" points to location "A" on file server (Data Storage partition)
                                    "Testing Server" Points to location "B" on file server (Web Serving partition)
                                    "Remote Server" points to Hosted Domain

> The key point is that your testing server must be in a different
                                    > location from the other two.

This is probably the "No" bit, ..... but I am having some difficulty with your
                                    use of the word "location", used both with regard to files and testing servers.
                                    Do you mean :

The same data directory ?
                                    The same hard drive partition ?
                                    The same physical hard drive ?
                                    The same physical computer ?
                                    The same subnet ?
                                    The same building ?

> To the best of my knowledge, the most
                                    > common setup with a local testing environment is for the testing server
                                    > and local files to be in the same location.

I would think that the most common setup is data mixed in with OS and software
                                    on the local machine's "C" drive, and WAMP server running on same local
                                    machine, serving files directly from the development data location. Is that
                                    what you mean above?

<rant> The above mix of OS, software and data on one partition is a shocking
                                    state of affairs, but one which is actively encouraged by Windows. No wonder a
                                    new machine or a failed machine result in known data loss and probably further
                                    un-realised data loss for so many people. </rant>

> When using a remote server
                                    > as the testing server, the remote server and testing server share the
                                    > same location. In such a scenario, using put and get automatically
                                    > selects the remote server.

So I guess what you mean here is using the "hosting" "production" server as a
                                    testing server?

If so, then yes I agree that I see this behaviour here, but then in reality the
                                    "remote" and "testing" servers are one and the same, so of course that will be
                                    the case.

... Or do you mean having two disparate remote servers, one being "production"
                                    and one being "testing" ?

> It's only when the testing server is in a separate location that
                                    > Dreamweaver remembers the most recent connection.

A separate location from what ?

I haven't time right now to test, but I have the "same subnet testing server"
                                    side of things covered, and I would expect that if a "remotes testing server"
                                    was a different web server or even just a different hosted domain from the
                                    "remote production server" then the DW "server interaction memory" would be
                                    working.

...... I could of course be completely wrong <g>

...... but maybe you have already tested this side of things, in which case I
                                    would be interested in your results.

> If you're still
                                    > connected to a particular server, it makes sense to use that connection,
                                    > although I can see how it might confuse people.

The initial difficulty is to figure out what on earth is going on. I haven't
                                    found this documented anywhere, and in the absence of a clear understanding of
                                    what is going on, users will simply form habits early on so that things work
                                    for them. Humans are very good at learning _what_ works without understanding
                                    _why_ it works <g>.

With the setup I have, simply changing the "view" on the files tab to one or
                                    other servers and then back to "local view" is enough to change the server you
                                    will interact with.

It is actually quite a useable software feature once you realise it, but I
                                    wonder what percentage of DW users have actually formed habits which
                                    essentially work around it !!

--
                                    Ronnie MacGregor
                                    Scotland

Ronnie at
                                    dBASEdeveloper
                                    dot co dot uk

www.dBASEdeveloper.co.uk

• 15. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
                                      Level 7
                                      Ronnie MacGregor wrote:
                                      > I am having some difficulty with your
                                      > use of the word "location", used both with regard to files and testing servers.

What I mean is very simple. My local files are in C:\vhosts\mysite. My
                                      testing server is also C:\vhosts\mysite. They're both in the same
                                      location. In fact, they're the same files. I see no advantage in using
                                      twice the disk space when the testing server is on my development computer.

> So I guess what you mean here is using the "hosting" "production" server as a
                                      > testing server?

Yes, it's quite a common setup used by inexperienced developers who
                                      don't want the hassle of creating a local testing environment. In my
                                      opinion, though, it's more trouble than it's worth.

--
                                      • 16. Re: DW help urgently needed, lost my connection to site
                                        Level 7

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:57:40 +0000
                                        David Powers said :

> In fact, they're the same files.

That was the key fact that was missing.

Thanks for your dialogue on this, ... it has been educational to see how you
                                        and Murray work with respect to this subject.

The only thing that's been missing is the beer !!

Cheers.

--
                                        Ronnie MacGregor
                                        Scotland

Ronnie at
                                        dBASEdeveloper
                                        dot co dot uk

www.dBASEdeveloper.co.uk