25 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2008 4:16 AM by Newsgroup_User

Auto File Upload

Level 7
      Hi All

I have a web application on our Intranet that requires engineers to upload a
      file for processing each day.
      The file to be uploaded is in the same location on their "C" drive and as
      the engineers aren't very techno savvy I would like to have the web app
      upload the file automatically.
      Is it possible to have a web form select the file for upload without the
      user having to click the "Browse" button? Or maybe even have the file field
      auto populate with the path to the file and then auto submit the form.

TIA
      Bren

• 1. Re: Auto File Upload
          Level 7
          Your engineers aren't very tech savvy? YIKES!

It would be possible to build a small app to automatically upload the file
          everytime the URI is fetched in the browser. But you would have to custom
          code it. How tech savvy are you? 8)

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"Bren" <bren@donotbother.com> wrote in message
          news:ggef71$cv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi All
          >
          > I have a web application on our Intranet that requires engineers to upload
          > a
          > file for processing each day.
          > The file to be uploaded is in the same location on their "C" drive and as
          > the engineers aren't very techno savvy I would like to have the web app
          > upload the file automatically.
          > Is it possible to have a web form select the file for upload without the
          > user having to click the "Browse" button? Or maybe even have the file
          > field
          > auto populate with the path to the file and then auto submit the form.
          >
          > TIA
          > Bren
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Auto File Upload
            Level 7
            On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:54:23 -0000, "Bren" <bren@donotbother.com> wrote:

>Is it possible to have a web form select the file for upload without the
            >user having to click the "Browse" button? Or maybe even have the file field
            >auto populate with the path to the file and then auto submit the form.

Can you imagine the security risk if that were possible? Thankfully, it's
            not, otherwise an unscrupulous web site could steal any file they wanted
            from web surfers.

Gary
            • 3. Re: Auto File Upload
              Level 7
              On 24 Nov 2008 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Bren wrote:

> I have a web application on our Intranet that requires engineers to
              > upload a file for processing each day.
              > The file to be uploaded is in the same location on their "C" drive
              > and as the engineers aren't very techno savvy I would like to have
              > the web app upload the file automatically.
              > Is it possible to have a web form select the file for upload without
              > the user having to click the "Browse" button? Or maybe even have the
              > file field auto populate with the path to the file and then auto
              > submit the form.

It appears not. You could try something like this:

<form ... >
              <div id="hiddenfile" style="display:none;">
              <input type="file" value="c:\directory\file.csv" name="uploadfile" id="uploadfile">
              </div>
              <input type="submit" value="Upload">
              </form>

Untested; I'm not sure if it will work or not.

--
              Joe Makowiec
              http://makowiec.net/
              Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
              • 4. Re: Auto File Upload
                Level 7
                "How tech savvy are you? 8)"
                Regularly I ask myself that :-)

I have thought about doing a small app but time and technical constraints
                don't really warrant it, which is why I thought it maybe best to go down the
                auto populate and auto form submit route.
                i.e.Engineer logs into central system, clicks the Upload File link which
                takes them to the upload page, which then auto populates the file field with
                the file path and submits the form .
                Auto populating a text field is simple and the auto form submit just as
                easy, I just don't seem to be able to get the file field to do the same. :-(

Cheers
                Bren

• 5. Re: Auto File Upload
                  Level 7
                  If -

1. This is all operating within a secure environment (e.g., an intranet),
                  and
                  2. The file being uploaded never changes location or name
                  3. The destination for the uploaded file is always the same

then you should be able to create a page that just uploads the file when the
                  page is fetched from the server I believe. What scripting languages do you
                  know?

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:ggegt6$2he$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > "How tech savvy are you? 8)"
                  > Regularly I ask myself that :-)
                  >
                  > I have thought about doing a small app but time and technical constraints
                  > don't really warrant it, which is why I thought it maybe best to go down
                  > the auto populate and auto form submit route.
                  > i.e.Engineer logs into central system, clicks the Upload File link which
                  > takes them to the upload page, which then auto populates the file field
                  > with the file path and submits the form .
                  > Auto populating a text field is simple and the auto form submit just as
                  > easy, I just don't seem to be able to get the file field to do the same.
                  > :-(
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Bren
                  >

• 6. Re: Auto File Upload
                    Level 7

news:ggef71$cv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Hi All
                    >
                    > I have a web application on our Intranet that requires engineers to upload
                    > a

why do this via a browser to begin with? Why not just write a batch file to
                    run as a scheduled task on their workstation at a set time every evening
                    that would just copy the file from their hard drive to the network?

• 7. Re: Auto File Upload
                      Level 7
                      Which is why I stated it is on OUR Intranet so I have control of all the
                      security.
                      Contrary to popular belief, we aren't all morons and we do contemplate all
                      aspects of development, such as security.
                      I asked a reasonable enough question, to which I would have expected a
                      reasonable enough reply, not an antagonistic reply such as yours.

To the other more helpful persons out there, I thank you.

"Gary White" <reply@newsgroup.please> wrote in message
                      news:pahli4p1et4ouoafcpceg2r4tlsp68evnm@4ax.com...
                      > On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:54:23 -0000, "Bren" <bren@donotbother.com> wrote:
                      >
                      >>Is it possible to have a web form select the file for upload without the
                      >>user having to click the "Browse" button? Or maybe even have the file
                      >>field
                      >>auto populate with the path to the file and then auto submit the form.
                      >
                      > Can you imagine the security risk if that were possible? Thankfully, it's
                      > not, otherwise an unscrupulous web site could steal any file they wanted
                      > from web surfers.
                      >
                      > Gary

• 8. Re: Auto File Upload
                        Level 7
                        Hi Murray

Sorry I forgot to say, it is Classic ASP
                        Yes to all three of your questions.
                        The processing of a file once chosen and uploaded to memory/disk I have no
                        problem with, it is just the collection of the file from the users disk
                        drive.

Cheers
                        Bren

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                        news:ggeh9u$32f$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > If -
                        >
                        > 1. This is all operating within a secure environment (e.g., an intranet),
                        > and
                        > 2. The file being uploaded never changes location or name
                        > 3. The destination for the uploaded file is always the same
                        >
                        > then you should be able to create a page that just uploads the file when
                        > the page is fetched from the server I believe. What scripting languages
                        > do you know?
                        >
                        > --
                        > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        > Adobe Community Expert
                        > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        > ==================
                        > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        > ==================
                        >
                        >
                        > "Bren" <bren@donotbother.com> wrote in message
                        > news:ggegt6$2he$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >> "How tech savvy are you? 8)"
                        >> Regularly I ask myself that :-)
                        >>
                        >> I have thought about doing a small app but time and technical constraints
                        >> don't really warrant it, which is why I thought it maybe best to go down
                        >> the auto populate and auto form submit route.
                        >> i.e.Engineer logs into central system, clicks the Upload File link which
                        >> takes them to the upload page, which then auto populates the file field
                        >> with the file path and submits the form .
                        >> Auto populating a text field is simple and the auto form submit just as
                        >> easy, I just don't seem to be able to get the file field to do the same.
                        >> :-(
                        >>
                        >> Cheers
                        >> Bren
                        >>
                        >

• 9. Re: Auto File Upload
                          Level 7
                          Hi Hunter

Time and technical constarints are the reasons for not using a batch
                          file/thick app. Without boring you with the details, in summary, the
                          engineers only have 3G USB dongles to connect out in the field with so a
                          scheduled upload such as a batch file is not solid enough alomg with the
                          order that they perform their assigned jobs.

Cheers
                          Bren

"Hunter Elliott" <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote in message
                          news:ggehdt$36f$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >
                          > news:ggef71$cv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >> Hi All
                          >>
                          >> I have a web application on our Intranet that requires engineers to
                          >> upload a
                          >> file for processing each day.
                          >> The file to be uploaded is in the same location on their "C" drive and as
                          >> the engineers aren't very techno savvy I would like to have the web app
                          >> upload the file automatically.
                          >
                          > why do this via a browser to begin with? Why not just write a batch file
                          > to run as a scheduled task on their workstation at a set time every
                          > evening that would just copy the file from their hard drive to the
                          > network?
                          >

• 10. Re: Auto File Upload
                            Level 7
                            But they can bore into the intranet and browse a file there, right?

--
                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                            Adobe Community Expert
                            ==================
                            ==================

news:ggeht6$3re$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > Hi Hunter
                            >
                            > Time and technical constarints are the reasons for not using a batch
                            > file/thick app. Without boring you with the details, in summary, the
                            > engineers only have 3G USB dongles to connect out in the field with so a
                            > scheduled upload such as a batch file is not solid enough alomg with the
                            > order that they perform their assigned jobs.
                            >
                            > Cheers
                            > Bren
                            >
                            > "Hunter Elliott" <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote in message
                            > news:ggehdt$36f$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >>
                            >> "Bren" <bren@donotbother.com> wrote in message
                            >> news:ggef71$cv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >>> Hi All
                            >>>
                            >>> I have a web application on our Intranet that requires engineers to
                            >>> upload a
                            >>> file for processing each day.
                            >>> The file to be uploaded is in the same location on their "C" drive and
                            >>> as
                            >>> the engineers aren't very techno savvy I would like to have the web app
                            >>> upload the file automatically.
                            >>
                            >> why do this via a browser to begin with? Why not just write a batch file
                            >> to run as a scheduled task on their workstation at a set time every
                            >> evening that would just copy the file from their hard drive to the
                            >> network?
                            >>
                            >
                            >

• 11. Re: Auto File Upload
                              Level 7
                              I can assure you every reasonable precaution is in place to ensure the
                              security of the file system. (VPN, ecrypted token identifiers etc)
                              Whilst I appreciate that what I am asking is not the most orthodox
                              proceedure, I do need to get this boxed off ASAP and any consequences are my
                              responsibility.
                              So if anyone has a workaround for my original question then I will be
                              eternally grateful. :-)

Rgds
                              Bren

• 12. Re: Auto File Upload
                                Level 7
                                What scripting languages do you know?

--
                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                Adobe Community Expert
                                ==================
                                ==================

news:ggemdq$9b2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >I can assure you every reasonable precaution is in place to ensure the
                                >security of the file system. (VPN, ecrypted token identifiers etc)
                                > Whilst I appreciate that what I am asking is not the most orthodox
                                > proceedure, I do need to get this boxed off ASAP and any consequences are
                                > my responsibility.
                                > So if anyone has a workaround for my original question then I will be
                                > eternally grateful. :-)
                                >
                                > Rgds
                                > Bren
                                >

• 13. Re: Auto File Upload
                                  Level 7

news:ggen7m$acl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > What scripting languages do you know?

he's using classic ASP, Murray.

• 14. Re: Auto File Upload
                                    Level 7
                                    Hi Murray

Are we talking setting the value with JavaScript here? If so I am no
                                    Javascript expert so would be hapilly guided with an example.
                                    I have tried useing document.form1.file1.value='c:\folder\filename.xml'; in
                                    the OnSubmit() event handler but that doesn't seem to work.

Rgds
                                    Bren

news:ggen7m$acl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > What scripting languages do you know?
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                    > Adobe Community Expert
                                    > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                    > ==================
                                    > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                    > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                    > ==================
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > news:ggemdq$9b2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    >>I can assure you every reasonable precaution is in place to ensure the
                                    >>security of the file system. (VPN, ecrypted token identifiers etc)
                                    >> Whilst I appreciate that what I am asking is not the most orthodox
                                    >> proceedure, I do need to get this boxed off ASAP and any consequences are
                                    >> my responsibility.
                                    >> So if anyone has a workaround for my original question then I will be
                                    >> eternally grateful. :-)
                                    >>
                                    >> Rgds
                                    >> Bren
                                    >>
                                    >

• 15. Re: Auto File Upload
                                      Level 7
                                      Where is this file saved vis-a-vis the location of the given engineer?
                                      Is each engineer uploading a different file, or is there just one file that
                                      would be uploaded each day?
                                      Would it be too much to ask to have the engineer BROWSE to the local file to
                                      select it?

And I see that you are using ASP/VBScript....

--
                                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                      ==================
                                      ==================

news:ggenf8$an5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > Hi Murray
                                      >
                                      > Are we talking setting the value with JavaScript here? If so I am no
                                      > Javascript expert so would be hapilly guided with an example.
                                      > I have tried useing document.form1.file1.value='c:\folder\filename.xml';
                                      > in the OnSubmit() event handler but that doesn't seem to work.
                                      >
                                      > Rgds
                                      > Bren
                                      >
                                      > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                                      > news:ggen7m$acl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >> What scripting languages do you know?
                                      >>
                                      >>
                                      >> --
                                      >> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                      >> Adobe Community Expert
                                      >> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                      >> ==================
                                      >> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                      >> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                      >> ==================
                                      >>
                                      >>
                                      >> "Bren" <bren@donotbother.com> wrote in message
                                      >> news:ggemdq$9b2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >>>I can assure you every reasonable precaution is in place to ensure the
                                      >>>security of the file system. (VPN, ecrypted token identifiers etc)
                                      >>> Whilst I appreciate that what I am asking is not the most orthodox
                                      >>> proceedure, I do need to get this boxed off ASAP and any consequences
                                      >>> are my responsibility.
                                      >>> So if anyone has a workaround for my original question then I will be
                                      >>> eternally grateful. :-)
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Rgds
                                      >>> Bren
                                      >>>
                                      >>
                                      >
                                      >

• 16. Re: Auto File Upload
                                        bregent Most Valuable Participant
                                        >I asked a reasonable enough question, to which I would have expected a
                                        >reasonable enough reply, not an antagonistic reply such as yours.

His response was quite reasonable. He is telling you it cannot be done with server side scripting. Gary was provided insight was to why it cannot be done, he was not being antagonistic or calling anyone stupid for thinking that it could. Again, think about the potential problems that would occur and you will realize why browsers will not allow this, secure intranet or not.

Now I imagine that you could write a java applet the users could download that might be able to provide this functionality with the browser, but this seems convoluted. Why not just have them download batch job they can put on the scheduler? Or, many companies have tools that can automatically grab files from clients.
                                        • 17. Re: Auto File Upload
                                          bregent Most Valuable Participant
                                          >Gary was provided insight was to why

Sheesh, I meant to say
                                          'Gary was providing insight as to why'
                                          • 18. Re: Auto File Upload
                                            Level 7
                                            On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:35:13 -0000, "Bren" <bren@donotbother.com> wrote:

>I asked a reasonable enough question, to which I would have expected a
                                            >reasonable enough reply, not an antagonistic reply such as yours.

Sorry I bothered you.

Gary
                                            • 19. Re: Auto File Upload
                                              Level 7
                                              Bren posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> Hi Hunter
                                              >
                                              > Time and technical constarints are the reasons for not using a
                                              > batch file/thick app. Without boring you with the details, in
                                              > summary, the engineers only have 3G USB dongles to connect out in
                                              > the field with so a scheduled upload such as a batch file is not
                                              > solid enough alomg with the order that they perform their assigned
                                              > jobs.

They could still run a batch file from the command line - or via a
                                              shortcut icon.

If your server is running FTP you can create a script for the command
                                              line FTP client included with Windows (and probably with Macs, too).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/96269

Here is an example I just tested with my Web server:

// C:\someFolder\upload.scr
                                              open ftp.example.com
                                              user
                                              password
                                              cd htdocs
                                              put whatever.txt
                                              quit

And from the cmd console:

C:\someFolder> ftp -s:upload.scr

OR:
                                              (Assuming Windows)
                                              If you can deploy WS_FTP Professional, there is a scripting utility
                                              included that can do this.

--
                                              Mark A. Boyd
                                              Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                                              • 20. Re: Auto File Upload
                                                Level 7
                                                That would sure be the easy way to do it....

--
                                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                Adobe Community Expert
                                                ==================
                                                ==================

"Mark A. Boyd" <lingoboyd@mboydDotcom.invalid> wrote in message
                                                news:Xns9B6078A62C3DAmblistssanDotrrcom@216.104.212.96...
                                                > Bren posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:
                                                >
                                                >> Hi Hunter
                                                >>
                                                >> Time and technical constarints are the reasons for not using a
                                                >> batch file/thick app. Without boring you with the details, in
                                                >> summary, the engineers only have 3G USB dongles to connect out in
                                                >> the field with so a scheduled upload such as a batch file is not
                                                >> solid enough alomg with the order that they perform their assigned
                                                >> jobs.
                                                >
                                                > They could still run a batch file from the command line - or via a
                                                > shortcut icon.
                                                >
                                                > If your server is running FTP you can create a script for the command
                                                > line FTP client included with Windows (and probably with Macs, too).
                                                >
                                                > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/96269
                                                >
                                                > Here is an example I just tested with my Web server:
                                                >
                                                > // C:\someFolder\upload.scr
                                                > open ftp.example.com
                                                > user
                                                > password
                                                > cd htdocs
                                                > put whatever.txt
                                                > quit
                                                >
                                                > And from the cmd console:
                                                >
                                                > C:\someFolder> ftp -s:upload.scr
                                                >
                                                > OR:
                                                > (Assuming Windows)
                                                > If you can deploy WS_FTP Professional, there is a scripting utility
                                                > included that can do this.
                                                >
                                                >
                                                > --
                                                > Mark A. Boyd
                                                > Keep-On-Learnin' :)

• 21. Re: Auto File Upload
                                                  Level 7
                                                  How about an "FTP Droplet" type program?

Here's one for Windows:
                                                  http://devzerog.com/products/ftpuploader/

I've never used that particular one, but I tried one for Macs a couple years
                                                  ago, and it was super-easy.

You set up the ftp settings, remote directory, etc. -- then you generate the
                                                  "droplet" and give it to your engineers. The non-tech-savvy engineer keeps
                                                  the droplet on his desktop and drags the file onto it. Away it goes.

--
                                                  Sonjay

On 11/24/08 11:57 AM, "Bren" wrote:

> I can assure you every reasonable precaution is in place to ensure the
                                                  > security of the file system. (VPN, ecrypted token identifiers etc)
                                                  > Whilst I appreciate that what I am asking is not the most orthodox
                                                  > proceedure, I do need to get this boxed off ASAP and any consequences are my
                                                  > responsibility.
                                                  > So if anyone has a workaround for my original question then I will be
                                                  > eternally grateful. :-)
                                                  >
                                                  > Rgds
                                                  > Bren
                                                  >
                                                  >

• 22. Re: Auto File Upload
                                                    Level 7
                                                    Bren wrote:
                                                    > Hi All
                                                    >
                                                    > I have a web application on our Intranet that requires engineers to upload a
                                                    > Is it possible to have a web form select the file for upload without the
                                                    > user having to click the "Browse" button? Or maybe even have the file field
                                                    > auto populate with the path to the file and then auto submit the form.
                                                    >
                                                    > TIA
                                                    > Bren

Do the engineers have access to a network drive? Can they copy the file
                                                    there? Then have an SQL DTS package that is scheduled to take the file
                                                    and insert it into the database? Each engineer could have there own
                                                    folder and DTS package assigned and mapped to there desktop, as long as
                                                    the file is put there before the scheduled time this should work.

Dooza
                                                    --
                                                    Posting Guidelines
                                                    http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/guidelines.html
                                                    How To Ask Smart Questions
                                                    http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
                                                    • 23. Re: Auto File Upload
                                                      Level 7
                                                      Hi Again All

Firstly to Gary White - OK after reading back the posts by yourself and I
                                                      last night, I can see that maybe I did over react a little, I was having,
                                                      shall we say "a bad day" at work and my initial thoughts on your comments to
                                                      my posts on the 2 forums were more negative than objective.
                                                      For that I do appologise and humble pie has well and truly been eaten ;-]

For the rest of you who have kindly answered - I have the upload aspect of
                                                      the web application written to accomodate the manual method i.e. engineer
                                                      clicks browse and chooses the file etc. This works fine BUT, end users being
                                                      end users have asked for this process to be automated, in that they do not
                                                      want to have to click browse and select the file. They basically just want
                                                      to go to the webpage on the intranet and the file to be picked up and
                                                      processed via a one click process i.e. Log into Intranet at anytime day or
                                                      night > Click hyperlink "Import My Jobs" > recieve pretty message saying
                                                      "your file is now processed, have a nice day" > close browser window and go
                                                      to pub.
                                                      It's as simple as that. Call them lazy, technophobic, arrogant if you wish
                                                      but unfortunately, this is what I have to work with daily, hence my pert
                                                      remark to Gary. :-)

Thanks all in advance.
                                                      Bren

• 24. Re: Auto File Upload
                                                        Level 7
                                                        Bren wrote:
                                                        > Hi Again All
                                                        >
                                                        > Firstly to Gary White - OK after reading back the posts by yourself and I
                                                        > last night, I can see that maybe I did over react a little, I was having,
                                                        > shall we say "a bad day" at work and my initial thoughts on your comments to
                                                        > my posts on the 2 forums were more negative than objective.
                                                        > For that I do appologise and humble pie has well and truly been eaten ;-]

We have all had days like that before :)

> For the rest of you who have kindly answered - I have the upload aspect of
                                                        > the web application written to accomodate the manual method i.e. engineer
                                                        > clicks browse and chooses the file etc. This works fine BUT, end users being
                                                        > end users have asked for this process to be automated, in that they do not
                                                        > want to have to click browse and select the file. They basically just want
                                                        > to go to the webpage on the intranet and the file to be picked up and
                                                        > processed via a one click process i.e. Log into Intranet at anytime day or
                                                        > night > Click hyperlink "Import My Jobs" > recieve pretty message saying
                                                        > "your file is now processed, have a nice day" > close browser window and go
                                                        > to pub.
                                                        > It's as simple as that. Call them lazy, technophobic, arrogant if you wish
                                                        > but unfortunately, this is what I have to work with daily, hence my pert
                                                        > remark to Gary. :-)

I think this is a browser security issue that your not going to be able
                                                        to change, you just can't access the form field the way you want to. I
                                                        think you used to be able to, but due to it being exploited the
                                                        behaviour was changed in early browsers and adopted in newer ones.

You might want to look at Java applet upload solutions, these may be
                                                        able to be set to a default location.

Dooza
                                                        • 25. Re: Auto File Upload
                                                          Level 7
                                                          I think the problem is this. A 'handle' has to be created so that the
                                                          server can identify the incoming file in 'server-speak'. I don't know if
                                                          you can independently create a handle - which is done automatically when the
                                                          multipart form data hits the server....

--
                                                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                          Adobe Community Expert
                                                          ==================
                                                          ==================

"Dooza" <doozadooza@gmail.com> wrote in message
                                                          news:gggo7u$sot$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                          > Bren wrote:
                                                          >> Hi Again All
                                                          >>
                                                          >> Firstly to Gary White - OK after reading back the posts by yourself and I
                                                          >> last night, I can see that maybe I did over react a little, I was having,
                                                          >> shall we say "a bad day" at work and my initial thoughts on your comments
                                                          >> to my posts on the 2 forums were more negative than objective.
                                                          >> For that I do appologise and humble pie has well and truly been eaten ;-]
                                                          >
                                                          > We have all had days like that before :)
                                                          >
                                                          >> For the rest of you who have kindly answered - I have the upload aspect
                                                          >> of the web application written to accomodate the manual method i.e.
                                                          >> engineer clicks browse and chooses the file etc. This works fine BUT, end
                                                          >> users being end users have asked for this process to be automated, in
                                                          >> that they do not want to have to click browse and select the file. They
                                                          >> basically just want to go to the webpage on the intranet and the file to
                                                          >> be picked up and processed via a one click process i.e. Log into Intranet
                                                          >> at anytime day or night > Click hyperlink "Import My Jobs" > recieve
                                                          >> pretty message saying "your file is now processed, have a nice day" >
                                                          >> close browser window and go to pub.
                                                          >> It's as simple as that. Call them lazy, technophobic, arrogant if you
                                                          >> wish but unfortunately, this is what I have to work with daily, hence my
                                                          >> pert remark to Gary. :-)
                                                          >
                                                          > I think this is a browser security issue that your not going to be able to
                                                          > change, you just can't access the form field the way you want to. I think
                                                          > you used to be able to, but due to it being exploited the behaviour was
                                                          > changed in early browsers and adopted in newer ones.
                                                          >
                                                          > You might want to look at Java applet upload solutions, these may be able
                                                          > to be set to a default location.
                                                          >
                                                          > Dooza