3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2008 1:04 PM by Newsgroup_User

flash media server?

jamamate
      Hello all,

I've downloaded a built mx component named "FX Video".The problem occurs when I link the source to some random youtube page I get a "con error". Do I need to have a flash server installed on my machine? if so, is there any way to bypass the need for it? if not, can I link to files on my own machine (and not, online?)

I understand that I am speaking of a specific component here, though what I am asking is whether it's possible to build a flex component that demands the usage of flash server? if so how do I bypass it? And of coruse, if anyone knows anything specific about this component I'll be happy to hear.

thanks,

Dror
        • 1. Re: flash media server?
          Level 7

"jamamate" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gg9idh$o46$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello all,
          >
          > I've downloaded a built mx component named "FX Video".The problem occurs
          > when
          > I link the source to some random youtube page I get a "con error". Do I
          > need to
          > have a flash server installed on my machine? if so, is there any way to
          > bypass
          > the need for it? if not, can I link to files on my own machine (and not,
          > online?)
          >
          > I understand that I am speaking of a specific component here, though what
          > I am
          > asking is whether it's possible to build a flex component that demands the
          > usage of flash server? if so how do I bypass it? And of coruse, if anyone
          > knows
          > anything specific about this component I'll be happy to hear.

You need to have a proxy server or else be sure youtube has your domain
          listed on their crossdomain.xml ;-)

• 2. Re: flash media server?
            jamamate Level 1
            Thanks Amy for the quick reply.

Let me see if I got it right.... You're referring to the specific problem of screening youtube pages in my component.
            Let's assume a different case. I want to play mp3 files, saved on my local machine. Do I need a flash server installed?
            Will it make any difference if I want to play an mp3 file saved on my server?

Thanks a million
            • 3. Re: flash media server?
              Level 7

"jamamate" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:ggccn5$ahi$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks Amy for the quick reply.
              >
              > Let me see if I got it right.... You're referring to the specific problem
              > of
              > screening youtube pages in my component.
              > Let's assume a different case. I want to play mp3 files, saved on my local
              > machine. Do I need a flash server installed?
              > Will it make any difference if I want to play an mp3 file saved on my
              > server?

If you want to play mp3 files on your local machine, you'll need to either
              have them at a path relative to your swf or use an AIR application.

HTH;

Amy