5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2008 12:31 PM by Newsgroup_User

catching errors from remotely invoked processes

Cr99 Level 1
      I am having a real problem debugging my flex app and am wondering if it's possible to capture errors from remotely invoked instances of a flex application? Sometimes the flash runtime throws an error in a popup window with a stack trace that and let's you click 'dismiss all' or 'continue'. I need to do something like that. My flex app gets invoked from a java process so I can't use the debugger and trace statements. But the program is crashing and I need to figure out why.

The program is receiving some arraycollections and needs to append those to the arraycollections which are set up during initialization. These arraycollections are data providers for some charts. I have to do everything in actionscript. I set up the data binding like this.

BindingUtils.bindProperty(lineSeries, "dataProvider", ser, "pointList");

Here is the way I'm currently trying to append the new data and catch the error, but this does not work.

• 1. Re: catching errors from remotely invoked processes
          Level 7

"Cr99" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gg3pc7$91h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Ok, you know how sometimes the flash runtime throws an error in a popup
          > window
          > with a stack trace that and let's you click 'dismiss' or 'cancel'. I need
          > to
          > do something like that. My flex app gets invoked from a java process so I
          > can't use the debugger and trace statements. But the program is crashing
          > and I
          > need to figure out why.

throw new Error("This is what you'll see in the error window");

• 2. Re: catching errors from remotely invoked processes
            Cr99 Level 1
            Amy, thanks for your help. Where is the error message supposed to appear? In a pop-up? In the console? I tried adding this line in the code in various ways but it never fired any kind of notification.
            • 3. Re: catching errors from remotely invoked processes
              Level 7

news:gg6tgv$chs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Amy, thanks for your help. Where is the error message supposed to appear?
              > In
              > a pop-up? In the console? I tried adding this line in the code in
              > various
              > ways but it never fired any kind of notification.

You have to be on a machine with the debug player installed.

• 4. catching errors from remotely invoked processes
                Cr99 Level 1
                I do have the debug player installed. It works fine and under normal conditions, I just use trace() but since I don't launch this myself, I don't know how to enable the debug mode. This app gets launched remotely from a Java process. Is there a way for me to turn on the debug mode in an app which is already running?
                • 5. Re: catching errors from remotely invoked processes
                  Level 7

news:gg74k7$l31$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I do have the debug player installed. It works fine for trace() but since
                  >I
                  > don't launch this myself, I don't know how to enable the debug mode. This
                  > app
                  > gets launched remotely from a Java process. Is there a way for me to turn
                  > on
                  > the debug mode in an app which is already running?

I get debug messages from swf files embedded in an Authorware exe, so unless
                  Java is suppressing them somehow you should see them. Try it with a simple
                  app that just throws an error.