6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2008 8:49 AM by peedee87

locking tables and css boxes/items

montychurch
      help pleez

i designed a template with css boxes and fields. when i put text or pictures into them that should fit into these areas... alot of the time the css box borders get out of alignment etc..... then it looks like a third grader designed the page in any browser...safari..opera...internet explorer...anf firefox.... believe me i know how to insert pictures the right way..

how come adobe indesign, illustrator, and photoshop can lock an item, box, or text field into a non-moving position, but dream weaver can't...or am i missing something

surely there must be a way to do this

thanx to the person who will be kind enuf to help

montychurch

come on...one of you dreamweaver savants/pros must know the answer
        • 1. Re: locking tables and css boxes/items
          Level 7

"montychurch" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gg45ju$o0v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > help pleez
          >
          > i designed a template with css boxes and fields. when i put text or
          > pictures
          > into them that should fit into these areas... alot of the time the css
          > box
          > borders get out of alignment etc..... then it looks like a third grader
          > designed the page in any browser...safari..opera...internet explorer...anf
          > firefox.... believe me i know how to insert pictures the right way..
          >
          > how come adobe indesign, illustrator, and photoshop can lock an item, box,
          > or
          > text field into a non-moving position, but dream weaver can't...or am i
          > missing
          > something
          >
          > surely there must be a way to do this
          >
          > thanx to the person who will be kind enuf to help
          >
          > montychurch
          >
          >
          > come on...one of you dreamweaver savants/pros must know the answer

The answer is that it's crucial to understand that Dreamweaver is not the
          equivalent of InDesign, Illustrator or Photoshop, because with Dreamweaver
          you're working in a medium which is nowhere near being flat and static like
          the products that are created with those other software packages.

In order to build web pages which look the way you want in the various
          browsers, you need to understand how HTML and CSS work - at least a basic
          familiarity, a working knowledge. When you have that, you can use the set of
          tools that is Dreamweaver in a way that won't be puzzling and frustrating
          like it is now.

If you need recommendations for tutorials, etc., let us know.

--
          Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
          Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
          Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
          --

• 2. Re: locking tables and css boxes/items
            Level 7
            On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:09:18 +0000 (UTC), "montychurch"
            <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> how come adobe indesign, illustrator, and photoshop can lock an item, box, or
            >text field into a non-moving position, but dream weaver can't...or am i missing
            >something

Because they describe pixels. Web pages use HTML and it is not as
            inflexible as an image. Unless you understand HTML and CSS, the learning
            curve building web pages is going to be steep.

Gary
            • 3. Re: locking tables and css boxes/items
              montychurch Level 1
              thanks so much.....i now understand. u were so kind to take the time to explain....

monty
              • 4. Re: locking tables and css boxes/items
                montychurch Level 1
                thank u so much for your reply...i finally understand why dreamweaver is different

monty
                • 5. Re: locking tables and css boxes/items
                  Level 7
                  On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 18:40:44 +0000 (UTC), "montychurch"
                  <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>thank u so much for your reply...i finally understand why dreamweaver is different

Good luck.

Gary
                  • 6. Re: locking tables and css boxes/items
                    peedee87
                    I'm in a similar situation. My situation is that I am using a template and when I merge the cells in the table it flushes the alignment and expands cells. Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated. I am studying HTML and working more and more with Dreamweaver, but I am doing this project for a friend where it is part pay and part learning platform for me. Can you direct me to any additional resources that would help with the learning curve?