1 2 Previous Next 62 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2008 11:15 AM by (Jim_Jütte)

Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking

Hi,

I know there are alot of questions on here about the same thing but I need some help!.

I have lots of photos in the starter edition which is asking me to register but will not connect to the internet and I just can't get them out. I have looked everywhere on my computer but I can't find them and I want them back.

I understand from reading some questions you can get an unlocking code which is based on the email that you originally register with, I don't remember registering but maybe I did.

Can someone please help?
      Thanks
      Ronnie

Ps.I have checked on another chatroom/forum and it says that I may have moved these pictures at some points.. I am telling you all now, there is no way I have done this or deleted them as turning on my laptop is about as technical as I get so actually deleting these is totally out of what I know :0)
        • 1. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
          Level 1
          Hi Ronnie,

What you could try, is going to the Adobe website, where you download
          PSA, this should prompt you for your email address. Enter that and then
          it will send you a code. You might want to check the spam area in case
          it does not come, but normally it only takes minutes.

Cheers
          • 2. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
            Hi,

I know there are alot of questions on here about the same thing but I need some help!.

I have lots of photos in the starter edition which is asking me to register but will not connect to the internet and I just can't get them out. I have looked everywhere on my computer but I can't find them and I want them back.

I understand from reading some questions you can get an unlocking code which is based on the email that you originally register with, I don't remember registering but maybe I did.

Can someone please help?
            Thanks
            Helmut
            • 3. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
              Have downloaded Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 for my daughters computer as she doesn't have the internet - now need to register to get the unlock code but with no internet on her PC am unable to. Can anyone help please>
              • 4. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                Level 1
                I think I may have solved the problem myself - rang customer support telephone number who can apparently assist me with unlocking but need to be in front of my daughters computer and then ring them back. Will do so in the next few days - hope it works.
                • 5. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                  Level 1
                  Hi Gail,

Let me know if this works for you.

Cheers
                  • 6. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                    First time posting a message.

Each time I load a folder onto photoshop it adds itself to all the previous photos I have loaded and the photo screen is getting bigger and bigger. How do I delete them from the photoshop screen and then just load the file I am interested in. Another problem with the above is many of the files in the folders displayed cannot be found by photoshop. I believe If I can delete them all and just load the folder I want to work on, that should solve my problem.

Help

Mel
                    • 7. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                      Level 1
                      Hi Mel,

I need a few bits of information before I can help. First can you
                      confirm that you are using Photoshop Album Starter Edition?

If you are can your create a new thread. This one is related to unlocking.

If you are not using PSA SE, can you please state which software you are
                      using so that I can point you in the right direction for assistance?

Cheers
                      • 8. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                        Level 1
                        Hi Jim

Rang Adobe tech support today but no joy - the girl hung up on me. Last week a guy told me to call back in front of the computer but today told need valid email address and internet connection.

But - I reinstalled it on my own computer, registered, got the email for the unlock code, rang my daughter and talked her through entering the code. It seems to be working - no more prompts for registering and in the help menu the 'registration' button is now grey. Victory!! The unlock code I had is f2067ec8 - try it and see if it works - sorry, but that's the best I can do.

p.s. Was able to enter the same code on my pc too as I was also prompted to register again. (Worked on 2 different pc's)

Let me know how you go - good luck

Regards
                        Gail
                        • 9. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                          Level 1
                          She hung up on you? Wow... That is not cool. Generally try to get a
                          name. CS from anywhere is less likely to hang up. I hope it was merely
                          an accident.

In any case, glad to hear it's working for you.

Cheers
                          • 10. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                            While scrolling through my pics, I keep getting a box saying, "searching for missing file". I believe it means it's searching for pics I'd originally deleted. I don't want those pics. That's why I deleted them.
                            How can I get rid of the box, so I can continue scrolling, and print the pics?
                            Mike
                            • 11. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                              Level 1
                              Hi Mike,

This is really a completely different topic. Can you post a new topic?
                              It makes it easier for people to find.

In the interim, did you delete with PSA? or Windows Explorer? If you
                              deleted them in PSA, you have check delete from hard drive as well as
                              catalog.

Cheers
                              • 12. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                A set of photos arrived in 'My Catalogue - of Adobe Album Starter Edition 3.0' that I want to copy to a folder and send to people. However I keep being told that the original photos cannot be found. These have disappeared off my camera and cannot be found anywhere else on my computer. Can anybody tell my how to copy these photos. Some of them are very precious.

Thanks

Frieda
                                • 13. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                  I have been trying to register so I can get my photos from Adobe starter edition3.2. It will not let me register.
                                  • 14. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                    Level 1
                                    I also have no idea how to register or to get the pictures out of the Album starter 3 catalogue. Can anyone help?

Frieda
                                    • 15. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                      Level 1
                                      Frieda_Gilmour@adobeforums.com schrieb:
                                      > I also have no idea how to register or to get the pictures out of the Album starter 3 catalogue. Can anyone help?
                                      >
                                      > Frieda
                                      Hi Frieda (and Mary this will help you too),

I think we need to take a step back before moving forward.

First, I recommend going throught the download process again. You need
                                      to remember to enter your email address. THAT is how Adobe gets the
                                      unlock code to you.

The unlock code is only for the application.

Realize that nothing happens to your pictures. PSA merely catalogs the
                                      images. You could for example find the images in Windows Explorer or use
                                      Windows search to find them. The purpose of PSA is just to help you
                                      categorize pictures in an easier way.

Frieda,

Please write back on your progress and we can address the second part of
                                      your problem with respect to copying folders.

Cheers
                                      • 16. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                        Level 1
                                        Dear Jim,

Thanks for your quick response

I now have an unlock code. Could you please let me know what to do now to retrieve the locked photos.

Unfortunately they got wiped off my camera and are not anywhere else on the computer.

With many thanks

Frieda
                                        • 17. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                          Level 1
                                          Hi Frieda,

Can you tell me how you verified they are not on the computer? It might
                                          sound I'm getting oversimplified but I need to be sure that they are not
                                          and if they are not how they got wiped out.

The application itself does not delete images, it just catalogs them.
                                          When you delete them in the catalog, and say delete from hard drive of
                                          course it will... but not if you doing take this extra step.

If you don't see them with a search, let's go through "get photos" and
                                          make the file size it looks for small enough that it will pick up your
                                          images.

After that we might need to go with a image recovery software because
                                          this will have nothing to do with Adobe anymore.

Let's start from there.

Cheers
                                          • 18. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                            Level 1
                                            Dear Jim

I am no longer at the computer that 'ate' my photos as I was staying with my daughter and I am now home. Therefore, I cannot give you the exact wording of the message I keep getting.
                                            What may have happened was that I downloaded photos from my camera, which went straight into the PSA. My daughter's computer is in Hebrew and it must of asked me if I wanted to delete the photos from the camera or not, and I must have pressed 'yes'. Now, when I try to find the missing photos it tells me to browse but then says it cannot find the original file (or something like that). The photos are certainly not still in the camera and the browser doesn't find them anywhere.

Frieda
                                            • 19. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                              Level 1
                                              Hi Frieda,

I missed something. You say you were using your daughter's computer when
                                              this happened? Is there a reason that you are not looking on her computer?

Cheers
                                              • 20. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                Level 1
                                                Dear Jim

When I downloaded the pictures I was at my daughter's home where I was staying for a few days. I am now at my own home. However, if you can tell me how to get my photos out of the album, I will send her the instructions. She also has an unlock code.

Frieda
                                                • 21. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Hi Frieda,

Well, actually, they are not IN the album per sé, they are just listed
                                                  in the album with a thumbnail resembling the original.

I think what I would do to start, is confirm the location of the images.
                                                  When they come from camera, they usually go into a folder of sub-folder
                                                  in My Pictures. Of course it sometimes depends on the camera.

First, can you confirm that PSA is functional on your daughter's
                                                  computer? In other words, can she open PSA and see the images?

Cheers
                                                  • 22. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Dear Jim

I am now back at my daughter's computer. She has received and registered a code number. When we click on the pictures we want, and can see in PSA, the program browses then still comes up with the message "Thumbnail preview of file missing".

Frieda
                                                    • 23. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Is there a small red box that looks like it might represent a broken
                                                      icon on each thumbnail that you are having problems with?

By the way, I will not be on the computer for a day or two after this.
                                                      It is Canada Day tomorrow and I volunteer as their communications
                                                      dispatch for a large celebration. I will however be back on Wednesday.

Cheers
                                                      • 24. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                        Level 1
                                                        Hi Jim

The missing photos look just like all the others in the album that we can open, with a white frame round each one. Enjoy Canada day - at least now I know where you are. Also, thanks for your interest so far.

Frieda
                                                        • 25. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                          Level 1
                                                          Hi Frieda,

The good news is, if you don't have a small red "broken" icon, the
                                                          applications thinks that the images are still on the hard drive. The
                                                          funny thing is, obviously it's not connecting them with the thumbnail.

It sounds like the catalog has somehow become corrupt.

Here is what I suggest you do. Uninstall the application and delete the
                                                          catalog as follows:

1. Click Start, Control Panel and then Add/Remove Programs in the
                                                          control panel
                                                          2. Pick Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition and uninstall and click
                                                          okay to get out of the control panel
                                                          3. If you know how to use Windows Explorer, try looking along the path
                                                          C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter
                                                          Edition\3.2\Shared_Assets\database\odbc for a file named My Catalog.psa
                                                          4. Delete that file. It is just an index of your images NOT the images
                                                          themselves.
                                                          5. Now, just to be safe, reboot the computer
                                                          6. Reinstall PSA-SE, enter the unlock code.
                                                          7. Click Get Photos and make sure that it looks for images that are a
                                                          small as you need.
                                                          8. Your images should show up in a while.

Let me know when you get this far.

Cheers
                                                          • 26. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                            Level 1
                                                            Dear Jim,

We got as far as point 5 of your instructions but do not know how to re-install PSA-SE. The one originally downloaded when the original Adobe Reader program was downloaded.

I will be back with my daughter tomorrow (later today for you, so would appreciate the next steps).

Thanks again for all the trouble you are taking.

Frieda
                                                            • 27. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                              Level 1
                                                              Hi Frieda,

You can also just download a new package and get a new code to do the
                                                              reinstall. Good luck.

Cheers
                                                              • 28. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                                Level 1
                                                                Dear Jim

I'm giving up. I don't want to download anything else from Adobe. We have the 'pdf reader' and don't want or need anything else. It is obvious from this, and other forums, that the programs are too complicated for normal (computer illiterate) folk and have several glitches that needed ironing out before they were released. I am also going to remove the PSA from my own computer because as soon as I attach my camera to my computer it just starts copying the photos without instructions from me. I'll just have to accept that those photos are lost.

Thanks again for everything

Frieda
                                                                • 30. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                                  Dear Jim,

I just found this forum and after reading this thread I believe I have the same problem as Frieda, but want to make sure before I uninstall the Adobe Photoshop. I downloaded 255 pictures of a trip to Italy and because I had a borrowed camera and because I had downloaded on other programs before with no problems, I (unwisely) deleted the pictures from the camera. When I tried to move the pictures to My Documents, the message "source files for some of the items you have selected cannot be found at the locations stored in the catalog". I selected "reconnect" to search for the missing file, it searches and then comes up with the message "the source files for the items you've selected cannot be found at the locations stored in the catalog. They may have been moved and/or renamed. Please connect these catalog items to their source file".

I did a search on all the drives trying to find these files or pictures, but I haven't found anything! I'm at my wits end!!

There is a little red icon in my pictures. What does that mean?

I have never heard of an unlocking code until this thread.

I am afraid I have lost these pictures, but I have not (knowingly) hit delete on any of them. It's almost like the Adobe Photoshop is holding my pictures hostage!

I hope you can help!! Thank you!

Paulette
                                                                  • 31. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    Hi Paulette,

Let me ask you one question before we proceed. Specifically, how did you
                                                                    try to move your images? PSA can't move images.

Cheers
                                                                    • 32. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      Hi Jim,

I guess I should word my sentence more accurately - I wanted to move the images to My Documents. I went under File and selected all, and then right clicked, thinking that a menu would come up that would say "Send to" and then I would send to My Documents under the folder My Pictures. That's how I've always moved my pictures to My Documents. But that's when the source files can't be found message came up, as described above.

There is a folder in My Pictures file that says Adobe, but nothing is there. Also, I have searched under everything imaginable to try & find the pictures. At one point the message "catalog corrupt or damaged" ( I don't remember the exact message) came up, so I did a system restore back to July 5 when I initially imported the pictures from the camera, hoping to bring the catalog back into view, which it did. Well, part of the pictures showed up, the others are missing, and other pictures from folders in MY Picutres from several years ago came into view.

I did go ahead and uninstall Adobe Photoshop yesterday and reinstalled, and got an unblocking code, so I have that, for whatever good it does,I'm really not even sure. When I entered it, everything was the same.

After reading some more threads on this subject, I think the red icon means the pictures were either moved or deleted, but I know I did not hit delete on anything.

Thanks for your help.

Paulette
                                                                      • 33. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        Hi Paulette,

I will begin by assuming that you did the file and select all in Windows
                                                                        Explorer and not in PSA. Can you confirm this?

There are actually a few folders that say Adobe, so not finding the
                                                                        images in one is not the end of the world, but given the location you
                                                                        looked is not promising either.

When you did the search, did you do this manually, or did you use
                                                                        Windows search. Windows will look more thoroughly than you for the most
                                                                        part.

Uninstalling PSA in your case is not helpful, although at this point you
                                                                        could try "Get Photos" and refind them that way. As long as you tell the
                                                                        application to look for all images that have an appropriate file size.
                                                                        You will see what I mean when you look in the Get Photos area.

The unlock code just allows you to keep using the application. After
                                                                        about 30 days or something like that, the application locks you out
                                                                        without the code. Doesn't make much sense to me given that it is free,
                                                                        but whatever...

The red icon means that the thumbnails is not lined up with the original
                                                                        image. Reconnect helps you to find them, but it is not always
                                                                        successful. More than once I thought I lost images, only to find them by
                                                                        accident months later.

At this point, try Get Photos... see what happens, but make sure that
                                                                        the file size is small enough to include all of your files.

Cheers
                                                                        • 34. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                                          Level 1
                                                                          Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

I did the file and select all in Windows Explorer and did Windows search - many, many times. And as you suggested I went to Get Photos in PSA, but with no luck.

I decided to import some old pictures that I had on my camera just to see where the photos went. They went into My Pictures, Adobe folder, Digital Camera Photos folder, where I assume the others should have gone, so I have no idea what could have happened.

Thanks again for your help. Have a good weekend.

Paulette
                                                                          • 35. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                                            Level 1
                                                                            Hi Paulette,

I'm afraid it looks like the images were somehow deleted.

I just checked cnet.com for some ideas. You could try having a look
                                                                            through this link.
                                                                            http://www.download.com/3120-20_4.html?hhTest=1&tg=dl-20&qt=recovery&tag=srch

Keep in mind that some of them will only recover what you back up, which
                                                                            to me makes them backup not recovery packages...

Anyway have a look... maybe that will help you.

Cheers
                                                                            • 37. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                                              Level 1
                                                                              hi im having the same problem and i wanted to ask if you know how to

download a psa from the adobe website
                                                                              • 38. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                                                Hello. I have looked through the posts but cannot find the answer to my question. I apologize if I have missed it.

I tried to open PSA-SE 3.0 and it is asking me to register. Now I have already registered and received my unlock code. I enter the unlock code, click on "unlock now" and then the whole program closes. When I try to reopen the program it goes through the same steps. I am at a loss here. I would love to continue using the program but cannot seem to unlock it even with a code?

Thank you,
                                                                                Lisa Washburn
                                                                                • 39. Re: Help - Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.2 - Unlocking
                                                                                  when i try to send photos from my computer through adobe starter edition i get a message saying no device found.i can send to adobe from my phone no problem but not visa versa what am i doing wrong?
                                                                                  1 2 Previous Next