6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2008 11:53 AM by (Pedroble)

New Installation of PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 3.2

I previously installed Photoshop Album 2.0 and tagged many pictures, created several collections, and albums. My OS, Windows XP Home crashed; I then copied all my files from that hard drive to a new hard drive. Note I did not have the opportunity to backup my PS files.

When I installed Photoshop Album 3.2 it showed no photos at all. If possible, I don't want to recreate the collections, albums, and tags. How can I retrieve the photos that were saved in Photoshop Album before the crash?

The photo files are currently on my hard drive. Is there anyone who might have the solution to my problem on how to retrieve my collections???
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: New Installation of PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 3.2
          Level 1
          Mary_McCallop@adobeforums.com wrote:
          > I previously installed Photoshop Album 2.0 and tagged many pictures, created several collections, and albums. My OS, Windows XP Home crashed; I then copied all my files from that hard drive to a new hard drive. Note I did not have the opportunity to backup my PS files.
          >
          > When I installed Photoshop Album 3.2 it showed no photos at all. If possible, I don't want to recreate the collections, albums, and tags. How can I retrieve the photos that were saved in Photoshop Album before the crash?
          >
          > The photo files are currently on my hard drive. Is there anyone who might have the solution to my problem on how to retrieve my collections???
          > Thanks
          Hi Mary,

I need to clarify a misconception. PSA SE 3.2 is not an upgrade to
          Album. Are you trying to get PSA 2.0 functionality? Is there a reason
          that you do not simply uninstall the dysfunctional copy and reinstall it?

Cheers
          • 2. Re: New Installation of PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 3.2
            Level 1
            Jim,
            Thanks for your reply. I am confused by your statements. The version was PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 2.0 which served my needs. My operating system crashed (MS XP Home edition). After it crashed and before I attempted to reformate my hard drive I was able to save all my data files.

I contacted Adobe.com and discovered they no longer supported Photoshop Album Starter Edition 2.0 so I installed PhotoShop Album SE 3.2.

Yes, I assumed that the photos that I had save to several collection was somewhere on my hard drive and thought I might be able to open them in the same collection as I had placed them in 2.0 (same functionality.)

I saw 3.2 as an upgrade/update of 2.0. Your next question was: Is there a reason that you do not simply uninstall the dysfunctional copy and reinstall it? Uninstalling programs on a crashed Hard Drive that does not have an operating system is not a simple task.
            • 3. Re: New Installation of PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 3.2
              Level 1
              Hi Mary,

Sorry for the confusion. There is an application called Photoshop Album.
              The last version was version 2.0 and is no longer supported. That is
              why I wanted to clarify. Adobe actually probably thought you were
              talking about the same application. It doesn't get any better, this is
              the only support you get with the free version... End-Users like
              yourself. ;)

Back to your uninstall/reinstall. As I understand it then, you backed up
              your personal files and then formatted the drive.

So at this point, you HAVE installed 3.2, but you do not see your
              collections? I can only assume from this that you did not back up the
              catalog in 2.0 because this was not possible at the time.

It is likely then that your tags/collections are no longer in tact. You
              will need to retag all of the images again. I'm sorry about that.

Is it possible to find your catalog in the backup that your created?
              This would obviously save you a LOT of trouble.

Cheers
              • 4. Re: New Installation of PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 3.2
                This may be helpful.....

http://www.startereditionuser.com/?page_id=20

... I am not able to find the file on the old nor on the new..!!!
                • 5. Re: New Installation of PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 3.2
                  They just released 3.2 with no migration option. It was a very weak software un-development... So, your catalog is probably in location like C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWSN\Dados de aplicativos\Adobe\Photoshop Album\Catalogs\ in both versions. You may have a 3.0 and a 3.2 folder. You have to copy My Catalog.psa at [catalogs] folder, to respective folder in 3.2 version but you have too to copy the files at [my catalog] folder located inside [catalog folders] to respective folders at 3.2 installation. Do this with PhotoAlbum closed. Just open the program and all the things return to the normal. But if you have made new catalogs you will loose them. There is way to merge. Adobe does it really bad this time. Good Luck
                  • 6. Re: New Installation of PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 3.2
                    Level 1
                    Thank you José... I found the Catalog but too late as have been retagging - 1.200 so far