1 2 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2008 2:27 PM by (Jacob_Talen)

Reconnect missing files????

All of my pictures are unaccessible. They appear but all have at the bottom center of the each picture a red box, when i click on picture to enlarge a box pops up and says "Reconnect missing files" The "tip" says "the source file for the item you've selected cannot be found at the location stored in the catalog. It may have been moved and or renamed. Please reconnect this catalog item to its source file." There are two other boxes, one that says missing files that looks like it has the picture file and another that says, browse for missing files. I've tried to do the reconnection but can't seem to make it work. Help please I have hundreds of pictures that I can't do anything with.

Thanks, Rich
        • 1. Re: Reconnect missing files????
          Level 1
          When did this happen?
          Did you move the pictures outside of PSA?
          If you look at the Properties pane for an image, does the pathname look right?
          • 2. Re: Reconnect missing files????
            Rich: I have exactly the same problem. Did you get a solution you can pass on to me. Howard Werner
            • 3. Re: Reconnect missing files????
              Level 1
              Howard:

Same questions to you. There won't be any answers without knowing these things.
              • 4. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                I have the same problems as Richard Gilkey. The pictures still available in the Starter Edition are stored in a Temporary Internet File I can access the file but cannot find the *.JPG pictures.

I had loaded the Starter and right clicked the pictures to save them in My Pictures File they instead were saved in the Photoshop. I thought that doesn't matter I can transfer them to My Pictures. There is the rub I can't do anything with them.

If I look at the properties pane The file name looks good I can access the file which ends\IE5\xxx\xxx.jpg I cannot browse/find/locate the xxx/xxx.jpg location.

Why is there no way toget help from ADOBE?
                • 5. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                  Level 1
                  Jim - you can get help from Adobe, but they charge you $39.00 per phone call (or about $150.00 lifetime)for tech help. I can't find any explanation for the square icon that appears on every inaccessible photo ("file cannot be found"). Howard
                  • 6. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                    Level 1
                    I think it means that the original file no longer exists or connection to the drive on which it was stored is no longer accessible.

You can refresh the whole caboodle by hard drive (can take a bit of time especially if drive is large and images are many) OR the smarter way by using Browse
                    • 7. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                      Hi Jim,

Have you moved your pictures from the Temporary Internet Folder to some other folder location eg. My Pictures after you had already imported the pictures from the location "Temporary Internet File" into the Starter ?

If this is the case, then the files imported into Starter will be shown as missing files and you have to Reconnect the files before you can do any edits or any other operation on them.
                      To Reconnect you missing files, you can do the following:

Step 1) select the ,missing files and click on File-> Reconnect Missing File option.

Step 2) A dialog box appears which has the option "Browse". Click on the Browse option. The Reconnect Missing files dialog appears which has two panels. The left hand side shows the missing file and on the right hand side is the folder location at which the file was originally present when it was imported into Starter.

Step 3) In the right hand panel, browse through the folders to the location where you have now stored the jpg files. Once you navigate to the new folder location, you can select the file from the list of files that is now displayed in the right hand panel and click on the Reconnect button in the bottom right hand corner. You file will be reconnected and will no longer show up as missing.
                      You can reconnect all your missing files in a similiar manner.

Hope this information helps.

Sushmita
                      • 8. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                        I am having the same problem; however, my pictures do not go to a Temporary Internet file, but goes to My Pictures. I run FujiFinePix.
                        Also, it will not allow me to reconnect missing files and I get an error messages that states "file already exists in the catalog". What am I doing wrong?
                        • 9. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                          Level 1
                          Hi Laura,

To Reconnect missing files , select the missing file and click on File -> Reconnect Missing Files .
                          The Reconnect Missing files dialog appears with the missing file in the left hand pane and the folder list of the last known location of the missing file .
                          In the right hand pane , navigate to the folder where the file is , in this case Ny pictures , and click on teh Reconnect button.

The file will be reconnect and the new location wil be shown for the file.

The error is given when you try to import files that are already in the Catalog.
                          The files may be hidden. To view wll files , click on View-> Media Types and select all audio/video/photos. If the files are already present in the image well now, if you re import them , the error message "file already exists in the catalog" will be given.
                          • 10. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                            Level 1
                            Hi Laura,

To Reconnect missing files , select the missing file and click on File -> Reconnect Missing Files .
                            The Reconnect Missing files dialog appears with the missing file in the left hand pane and the folder list of the last known location of the missing file .
                            In the right hand pane , navigate to the folder where the file is , in this case Ny pictures , and click on teh Reconnect button.

The file will be reconnect and the new location wil be shown for the file.

The error is given when you try to import files that are already in the Catalog.
                            The files may be hidden. To view wll files , click on View-> Media Types and select all audio/video/photos. If the files are already present in the image well now, if you re import them , the error message "file already exists in the catalog" will be given.
                            • 11. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                              TOPIC: reconnecting missing files
                              I have windows ME w/ photoshop album1.0 and PSA2se. I have read and tried all the listed suggestions to reconnect missing files to no avail. About 2/3 of my files now have red tags in them and show a green caste. All of my missing files are listed in the left pane of the reconnect missing files box. the right pane " browse" does absolutly nothing as far as showing anything to reconnect to.
                              As far as i know no files were moved any where. the first knowledge of any problem was when i tried to print photos of my wifes trip to London and every photo I tried to print showed the red tag and the " must be reconnected " message.
                              I have spent hours on this and am out of ideas.
                              Frank P Miller
                              • 12. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                Level 1
                                With all similar postings, I always want to ask the same question: Have you queried Adobe? If so, what response? Howard
                                • 13. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                  I don't have a problem reconnecting missing files, but I have a problem with it taking so much time, beacuse you have to reconnect each and every file separately. I wanted for example to create a library of pictures to be available from a server to different users on different workstations. When I did that I faced the froblem with reconnecting missing files. I don't think that Photoshop Album is worth using it, because after spending all the time creating tags and tagging your pictures, you can loose all by simply mooving your picture library folder to a different location. Idea is good and it is a nice try but it has to be more intuitive and intelligent. So get back to your nice image viewer that comes with MS Windows XP and you will never experience a missing file. ;o)
                                  In mean time I will wait for the next revision and hope that Adobe people will dramaticaly improve the file handling.
                                  Cheers...
                                  • 14. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                    Level 1
                                    Darek

PSA is not designed to be use in a networked context.
                                    • 15. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                      Richard, Have you had success with the Reconnect... How did you end up doing it.?
                                      • 16. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                        Well,exactly this happened to me and there is no way I can email those photos either!I deleted these pictures from original location(my documents)because it didnt occur to me that there would be any problem.I emailed this to Adobe Support on-line but no answer so far.
                                        Anyone came up with any solution yet?
                                        • 17. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                          Level 1
                                          > I deleted these pictures from original location(my documents)because it didnt occur to me that there would be any problem

Do you mean that you imported them into PSA SE and then deleted the images? If so, you have lost those images unless you have a backup or they are in the Recycle Bin.
                                          • 18. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                            I have lost all my pictures from a once in a lifetime trip to Europe in the same way these other folks have. My question is, can I turn a thumbnail into a workable image? I have the thumbnails, but the connection is gone. I thoroughly searched my whole computer and they are nowhere to be found. I have been having problems with my comp (had to do system recovery a few times), all of my pictures were still intact except for one folder in PS. Any help or information on where to get it, would be greatly appreciated...

Catherine Brown
                                            • 19. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                              Level 1
                                              I am sorry to hear about you problem. But, what exactly did you mean by:

> except for one folder in PS

I assume that "PS" means PSA SE, but it does not have "folders".
                                              • 20. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                I have encountered a similar problem with moved files recently. I foolishly used Windows Explorer to move a large directory of photos from a root folder into the My Pictures folder. (I now know that I should have used the File/Move function in PS Elements.) PSE3 lost track of the pix, so about 1,000 photos came up with the red "disconnected" tag. I manually went in and performed the Reconnect for 980 of them, and it worked fine, but there are 20 pix that I cannot reconnect.

I can access the two photos in both the "Files Missing From Catalog" pane and in the "Locate The Missing Files" pane of the Reconnect dialog box (the pix still have the same filnames), but when I click on "reconnect", I am told that "The File Already Exists in the Catalog" and the 2 sources are not reconnected. Why would PSE3 recognize most of the photos for reconnecting, but not these last few?
                                                • 21. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                  Hi Brad,

I believe I also experienced the same problem as you. In my case the picture was infact connected, yet it had the "disconnected" tag. I corrected this by moving the file to another directory, thus forcing a lagitimate "disconnect". I then reconnected to this new location and the "disconnected" tag disappeared. I then moved the file and reconnected back to the original directory... obviously a bug in the software.

You refer to a File/Move function in PS Elements. Have you used this to move many pictures in one pass (e.g., an entire directory). I'm currently using PS Album and no such function is available. Therefore, I'm forced to reconnect one picture at a time whenever I move pictures.
                                                  • 22. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                    Level 1
                                                    d,
                                                    Yes, I have used File/Move within PSE3 to move blocks of photos, and it maintains the connections. I had PS Album at an earlier point in time, maybe 2 yrs ago, and I don't recall if it had a Move function. I believe that the Organizer in PSE3 is identical to the PS Album tool. Maybe Move was added as an enhancement at some point.

I'll use your suggestion to intentionally break the connection, and then try the reconnect again. Thanks
                                                    • 23. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Move is in PSA 2 and PSE 3 Org, but not in PSA SE.
                                                      • 24. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                        Level 1
                                                        It's PSA SE that I'm using so that explains why there's no move function... guess it's time to upgrade.

Thanks
                                                        • 25. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                          I'm using PSA Starter Edition 3.0 and experiencing the same problems as those described by Rich above. Does anyone have the patience to walk me through the corrections in grade 4 language?

davies@tnt21.com

Thanks,

Doug
                                                          • 26. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                            Level 1
                                                            Richard Gilkey:

or others!

Did you find a solution to this problem?

Thanks

Doug Davies
                                                            davies@tnt21.com
                                                            • 27. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                              Help
                                                              > I'm using PSA Starter Edition 3.0 and experiencing the same problems as those described by above I need a solution to this problem.

> Manny
                                                              • 28. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                                Level 1
                                                                Hi
                                                                It seems that you have moved your pictures from their original location to a new location. There is a posting in this thread by Susmita, which should help you reconnect the images.Just point it to the new location as given in the steps.It should work fine.
                                                                • 29. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                                  Had the same problem as everyone else, until I read one of these responses that mentioned Recycle Bin. I had searched everywhere but there. Surprise!! They were there. Restored them and now have no problem. Hope everyone else can solve their "missing files" problem as easy. Adobe support could certainly improve their accessibility for these kind of problems without trying to make a buck in the process. Good Luck
                                                                  • 30. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                                    Hello: Is there a way to tell PSE 3 where all the missing files are other than reconnecting each one? I have thousands of images to reconnect since I moved my digital images to an external hard drive.
                                                                    Thanks,Warren
                                                                    • 31. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      Warren

I assume that a simple reconnect all did not work for you.

Have you retained the folder structure from the old drive on the new one? If so, there are 2 possibilities:

1) Edit the catalog file using MS Access [which is easier than it sounds].

2) Move the images back to their previous location. Then move them to the external drive using either Org's File/Move command or drag&drop in Folder view.
                                                                      • 32. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        Hi Colin: The reconnect is slow. I have to reconnect one at a time for over 5,000 images. I'm going to try your other suggestions.
                                                                        Warren
                                                                        • 33. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                                          Level 1
                                                                          Colin: I moved the My Pictures folder back to my C drive. I had also moved my Photoshop organizer thumbnails to the external hard drive. When I attempted to move them back to the C drive, I didn't remember in which folder they reside. So I put them in the album folder. Most of my images in organizer still need to be reconnected. It's a slow process. Do you have any suggestions?--Warren
                                                                          • 34. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                                            Level 1
                                                                            Warren

I just realised something. You referred to PSE 3 and this is the PSA SE forum. Please confirm that you do have PSE 3.

Don't worry about the thumbnails. Just delete the file - it will get rebuilt automatically.

You have put everything back exactly as it was and you still have disconnected images? That should not be possible and may just be the program is a bit confused. Do CTRL/A [select all images] right click on one and do Rebuild Thumbnail [or whatever the exact wording is]. That may take a little while. Then report back.
                                                                            • 35. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                                              Level 1
                                                                              Colin: I do have PSE 3. I was drawn into this discussion because it pertained to reconnecting files. I will try your suggestion when I get home from work later.
                                                                              Thanks,
                                                                              Warren
                                                                              • 36. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                                                Level 1
                                                                                Colin: I clicked "update thumbnails for selected items" after selecting all images in my organizer. Some images are connected but most are disconnected.
                                                                                Warren
                                                                                • 37. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                                                  Level 1
                                                                                  Hi Warren,

Select all the files and goto reconnect missing files dialog. In the left pane all the missing images are listed, select all the images(by using Shift + Click) and then in the right pane select the folder where these images can be located. Now click on [Find] button in the right pane. It will automatically reconnect the files for you.

Hope this helps.
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                                                    Not sure if this is a reconnect problem or a really stupid newbie question.

I had a laptop that was stepped on with a resulting destroyed screen. I pulled the hard drive out of it and put it in an enclosure and connected it to my new VAIO laptop, which came with PSA SE3. I asked PSA SE3 to "find photos by searching" and it did....boy, it did. It found photos, clip art and even what looks like clip art within programs...more than 19,000 images. I can account for probably had 5000 photos and clip art that I had downloaded from assorted places.

Many of them are disconnected. I have not yet formatted the hard drive they all came off of, so I have the files, that's not a problem. I have since added photos from my digital camera.

I'm wondering if there's a way to tell PSA SE3 to find similar photos (I seem to have duplicates of an awful lot of them) and to delete the duplicates, or if this has to be done one at a time.

I'm also concerned that if I delete say the "quicken" banner, then the quicken program will have errors.

I have tried to upload the photos to a website I manage, and all of the pictures are coming up as "corrupt" when a more knowledgeable friend looked at the photo source code, even the ones that are re-connected.

I can't delete the whole catalog because I have added new photos, but ultimately I was hoping to organize the photos into collections, and then format the old hard drive, and save all of my photos on that.

Is that do-able in this lifetime??

Thanks.....
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Reconnect missing files????
                                                                                      Level 1
                                                                                      Can somebody please help me. I usually download all my photo's from my camera directly to ACDSee for Pentax, but thinking I'd found a better way, I have been putting the memory card into the card slot of my printer to download and this automatically brings up 'Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.' Now all of a sudden the majority of my photo's are disconnected and none of the above suggestions seem to work. When I go into the 'Reconnect Missing Files' screen, the photo is located on the LH side and on the RH side it somes up with 'Digital Camera.' It doesn't matter what I click, the 'Reconnect' doesn't highlight and therefore I am at a loss as to how to go about reconnecting my photo's. Also, what started out as about half a dozen 'Missing Files' last night has multiplied.
                                                                                      Could somebody please explain to me in 'plain english' how to fix this problem as I have only had my computer for 6 months and some of the terminology used just baffles me.
                                                                                      Kind Regards,
                                                                                      Tammy Green
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next