5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2008 8:10 PM by (Jim_Jütte)

I want to retrieve a replaced file with existing file help please

While arranging my files in different folders I was asked "This file already contains a file named 'xyz', would you like to replace the existing file?", of course I said yes not realizing that they were not the same picture, they had the same file numbers only because they were in different folders. Therefore I cannot reconnect because the picture is not the same. Also, the picture I cannot find has a small red box @ bottom of pic with a rip going through it. What does that mean & can I save this pic & the other one I replaced it with?
        • 1. Re: I want to retrieve a replaced file with existing file help please
          Level 1
          Hi Teresa,

If you overwrote a file, you should be able to confirm that by looking
          into the folder with Windows Explorer. Please confirm that you have done
          that.

With respect to the icon, that means that the image has been moved from
          the location that the PSA database has in its table. This could also
          mean that you have deleted the image unintentionally. You could check in
          the recycle bin to see if it is still there and then just right-click
          and restore it to its original location.

As to reconnecting, basically PSA looks for the closest matches and then
          you manually connect them again.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers
          • 2. Re: I want to retrieve a replaced file with existing file help please
            Level 1
            I have checked Windows Explorer & in my folder the original icon that I want appears. When you click on it to inlarge the pic, it shows the other icon I accidentally replaced it with.
            I also went to my deleted files & imported everything back in hoping it would be there but it isn't.
            I do have a backup disc, how can I use it to import and over ride back to the original picture?
            What does the red box with a tear in it represent? It's shown at the bottom of the original picture?
            Teresa
            • 3. Re: I want to retrieve a replaced file with existing file help please
              Level 1
              Hi Teresa,

Sorry for the delay... This sounds quite messy. Do you have a lot of
              tags? If not, it might be an idea to do one of two things and I'll
              explain the merit of each option:

1. Restore your backup;
              You should do this ONLY if you are not concerned about overwriting what
              you have done since the backup;

2. Restore images from your recycle bin, relabel the my catalog.psa file
              to my catalog.old and start all over...
              You should do this if you are concerned about images that you have been
              working on since the last back up. It will lose all your
              tags/collections, but any images that are still on your computer will
              not be affect.

Now... let me know which option you want to proceed with and I'll write
              out the instructions for you.

Cheers
              • 4. Re: I want to retrieve a replaced file with existing file help please
                Level 1
                Jim, I appreciate your help & time. I am not computer savvy therefore, I don't really understand what you're asking me to do. I have a backup cd for my whole computer (per my Norton Software). The cd would have the picture I want saved on it. If I were to download that cd can I over-ride the picture on my computer now with the picture from my cd? Hopefully this makes sense. Thank you again for your time & help. Teresa
                • 5. Re: I want to retrieve a replaced file with existing file help please
                  Level 1
                  Hi Teresa,

Your software might have the ability to let you restore only files that
                  are "newer" so that you do not overwrite files that you have changed
                  since the back up. For example, let's say you do a back up now. In five
                  minutes you make a change to an image. In 10 minutes you restore, the
                  restore SHOULD only put files on the computer that are missing and NOT
                  overwrite the image that you changed after the backup. To ensure that it
                  would do that, I would check with the makers of Norton though.

I wonder... can you see the file you want on your CD? If you can just
                  copy it, you don't have to do a restore at all.

Cheers