8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2008 12:48 PM by allan1932

Copying tags in APSASE3.2

allan1932 Level 1
      Hi,

I'm using Windows Live FolderShare to have my photos on 2 PC's which are on my LAN.

I've installed APASE3.2 in both & have no problem in getting the photos from PC#1 to PC#2, but the Tags are not copied with the photos.

The best I've come up with so far is to use APASE3.2 to email to myself the photos including tags from PC#1 to a new folder on PC#2.

Import the emailed photos plus tags into APASE3.2, then delete the emailed [reduced size] photos from APASE3.2. The tags remain in APASE3.2.

I now have the job of re-tagging the photos [full size] in PC#2, but at least I don't have to re-type the tags themselves.

I'm sure there must be a better way & that someone will find it,

Cheers,
      Allan.
        • 1. Re: Copying tags in APSASE3.2
          Level 1
          Hi Allan,

Is there any reason why you don't have the images on a single computer
          and just access it via a short-cut? For example, have everything on PC 1
          and place a short cut on PC 2 that actually runs the app from PC 1?

Otherwise you're rather stuck because you are trying to maintain two
          databases and two sets of copies.

Cheers
          • 2. Re: Copying tags in APSASE3.2
            allan1932 Level 1
            Hi

As you say, I am trying to maintain photos plus tags on both PC'c.

This is so as:-

1. To have an up-to-date backup of "photos plus tags" in case of a HDD failure. I already have a backup of "photos without tags."

2. To be able to add edited photos to APASE3.2 from photos on either PC [I already have the "photos without tags" on both PC's & am slowly adding them, after editing, to APASE3.2].

What I need ideally is software which will organise photos & which retains the tags when copying them. Is there such a program?

Failing that, your suggestion is better than what I am currently doing.

Thanks for your advice & interest,

Allan.
            • 3. Re: Copying tags in APSASE3.2
              Level 1
              Ohhhh... well, it seems you are definitely doing it the hard way then. I
              would just back PSA up to the second computer... that would ensure
              everything is completely intact. Or did I miss something again?

Cheers
              • 4. Re: Copying tags in APSASE3.2
                allan1932 Level 1
                Hi Jim,
                I'm afraid I'll have to show my ignorance again. How would I backup PSA to a second PC so that all the photos & tags would be retained? Which folders/files would I have to copy? Would I need to uninstall PSA from the PC to which the backup was being sent or just leave it "as is"?
                Your advice is much appreciated,
                Allan.
                • 5. Re: Copying tags in APSASE3.2
                  Level 1
                  Hi Allan,

Do you have any knowledge of any backup packages? If not, then I think
                  we should start by looking at what your needs might be. Often there are
                  free packages that for one's needs are just as good as paid packages...
                  On the other hand, sometimes they are not.

Cheers
                  • 6. Re: Copying tags in APSASE3.2
                    allan1932 Level 1
                    Hi Jim,
                    I use Acronis True Image to backup. What I really want to know is which folders/files I need to backup PSA.
                    Cheers,
                    Allan.
                    • 7. Re: Copying tags in APSASE3.2
                      Level 1
                      Sorry for the delay Allan,

All you really need to do is back up wherever you placed the images
                      originally. The other important file is just the My Catalog.psa. You
                      will find the catalog in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter
                      Edition\3.2\Shared_Assets\database

Now... in reality, you only need to click "Get Photos" after you bring
                      the other photos over to the other computer and it will just import them
                      in... if you have tags etc... then you will need to back up and restore
                      the catalog.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
                      • 8. Re: Copying tags in APSASE3.2
                        allan1932 Level 1
                        Thanks Jim,
                        Will do,
                        Allan.