3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2005 7:31 AM by (Colin_Walls)

RESIZE OR REDUCE RESOLUTION TO POST ON WEB

Please help!! Does anyone know of any program that will let me take a batch of photos/files and resize/reduce their resolution all at the same time? For example: 1200 x 600 reduce to 400 x 200.

My objective is to be able to post several hundred photos on my own website. I can import or upload photos into the website easily. The problem is the file size of each photo. I need to reduce the file size or the resolution so that I do not use up my allocated website memory space.

Adobe Photoshop SE lets me email the photos to myself, but I do not want to do this because I have several hundred photos and this takes a considerable amount of time. KODAK Easy Share will let me resize/reduce resolution but only one photo/file at a time as far as I can tell. Will any other reasonably priced or free photo editor/program do what I need to do? Thank you very much if you can help.
        • 1. Re: RESIZE OR REDUCE RESOLUTION TO POST ON WEB
          Level 1
          Firstly, a small technicality. Images on the Web don't have a resolution - just a size in pixels, which is the only parameter to worry about. Resolution [PPI value] is the ratio between pixels in an image and inches on paper [i.e. printing only]. On a screen, the pixels are fixed in relation to the dots on the screen.

PSA SE does not have the facility to do what you want.
          The paid-for variant [PSA 2] has a couple of ways to do it very easily. If you want even more flexibility/complexity, you could go for Photoshop Elements, which can do everything PSA can do and more.
          • 2. Re: RESIZE OR REDUCE RESOLUTION TO POST ON WEB
            Level 1
            Thank you for the education on pixels versus resolution. You answered the question for me. I want to be sure, before I buy, that PSA2 or PSE can do bulk (hundreds of images with one click of a button) reducing of each image's byte size. Is there a way to try before I buy? Thanks
            • 3. Re: RESIZE OR REDUCE RESOLUTION TO POST ON WEB
              Level 1
              > I want to be sure, before I buy, that PSA2 or PSE can do bulk (hundreds of images with one click of a button) reducing of each image's byte size.

Yes. No problem.

> Is there a way to try before I buy?

Yes. You can download a fully functional version of the software from the Adobe Web site, which will work for 30 days.