6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2006 4:41 PM by (Linda_McDougall)

Moving Photos to another folder

Greetings from Australia.

I need to move my photos from the My Pictures folder into another folder on the hard drive. I have hundreds of pictures in this folder and I have set up multiple tags and have organised all of them.

I am worried that when I move them I will loose all my tagging. What do I need to do to maintain the setup? If I move the Adobe folder that has been created in the My Pictures folder will that be enough. Will I also have to change the save location in preferences?

Thanks in advance,

Toff
        • 1. Re: Moving Photos to another folder
          Level 1
          With the SE [free] version of PSA, your options are limited [the paid version has a Move command]. You can:

1) Move the files outside of the program and hope the reconnect mechanism does its job. If it's on the same drive, you should be OK.

2) You could do the move outside and then edit the catalog file with MS Access.

The prefs setting determines where new imported files go.

Is there a particular reason why you want to move them?
          • 2. Re: Moving Photos to another folder
            Level 1
            Thanks Collin,

If I was to buy the full version, can I do that online? Where? Does the full version offer a back up facility so I could easily backup the whole shabang to an external drive OR a DVD burner?

Yes, there is a particular reason. My laptop is a work laptop. My Ducuments is a syncronised folder with the server at work. My file stroage is full and I have been told by managment that I need to get my personal photos off the syncronised folder. So I plan to set up a new photos folder on the C:drive which will not be synchronised. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help,

Toff
            • 3. Re: Moving Photos to another folder
              Level 1
              > If I was to buy the full version, can I do that online? Where?

You can buy it direct from Adobe. Probably cheaper elsewhere though.

> Does the full version offer a back up facility so I could easily backup the whole shabang to an external drive OR a DVD burner?

Yes - it can do that. I don't use that facility, as I just catch everything in my normal backup routines.

I understand your reasons entirely. Synchronised folders look like a good idea, but in practice they seem to cause more pain than benefit.
              • 4. Re: Moving Photos to another folder
                I want to reload photos from my PC back into my digital camera so that I can take the Smart Media card anywhere to have prints taken from it. How can I do this? Thank you.
                Tony Bushell.
                • 5. Re: Moving Photos to another folder
                  Level 1
                  I would probably do that using Windows Explorer. Open a winodow onto the camera card's "drive". Then drag the required images from PSA SE into that window. It will make a copy of the image files.

A word of warning, if you haven't done this before: It might not work. Quite a few cameras do not support writing back to the card. It will do no harm to try.
                  • 6. Re: Moving Photos to another folder
                    How Do I move my Photos to another folder on my hard drive

I select all to copy and they cannot find them, then I try to reconnect them and I stll get the same Message Please help

Londa