7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2006 12:54 PM by (Albert_Whitehouse)

Using PSA 2.0 with PSA SE 3.0

So I already own PhotoShop Album 2.0 and PhotoShop Elements 2.0...

We have also bought a new digital camera that works quite well... and we've taken over 700 photos in the last 6 months.

(side note: Never let Windows Photo downloader copy photos from camera to disk, it strips the date!... I just copy the photos from the camera to hard drive since Win XP considers the camera connected to a USB is just another drive)

I also have decided to incorporated scanned photos from an old attempt at Web based Christmas card (back when it was an "@home.com" address). So when the PSA 2.0 pulled them in, there lots of duplicate pictures that looked the same, but I needed to right click the mouse to bring up "properties" to see which was the thumbnail file and which was the larger full sized photo.

BUT... I noticed that PSA SE 3.0 does show the picture (smaller) WITH the file name under it! And all I have to do is float the mouse over the file name to get the full path (Shared Documents/Shared Pictures... etc.jpg).

BUT... I cannot move files (except delete duplicates), nor can I copy to a CD or DVD... which PSA 2.0 fully paid for does (oh, and PSA 2.0 did a great job of burning DVD's when my then "new" laptop's DVD software failed... that has since been fixed by buying decent burning software with added functionality).

But all is not lost... (sorry I don't quite feel like buying PSE 4.0 just yet). The PSA 2.0 can read the PSA SE 3.0 catalog file! Woo Hoo!

So I can pull in all the pictures I've been meaning to organize... and this includes scanning some more very old slides and snapshots. Have PSA SE 3.0 organize, re-date and tag --- then burning picture CD's with PSA 2.0 (which can also edit the pictures by pulling in PSE 2.0, needed to get dust marks and scratches off scanned slides).
        • 1. Re: Using PSA 2.0 with PSA SE 3.0
          Level 1
          I am at a complete loss to understand what PSA SE 3 does for you that PSA 2 doesn't. Can you please clarify.

> I noticed that PSA SE 3.0 does show the picture (smaller) WITH the file name under it! And all I have to do is float the mouse over the file name to get the full path

Yes - PSA 2 does that.
          • 2. Re: Using PSA 2.0 with PSA SE 3.0
            Level 1
            Actually, I just checked... MY version of PSA 2.0 does NOT show the file name under the picture. I have to right click the picture, and then check preferences.

Wait... oops, yes it does! You have to change the Preferences! (grrr... stupid defaults gotta change with each version, totally embarrassing me... huh-rumpf!)

Thank you.

As Emily Litella said on Saturday Night Live: "Never Mind".
            • 3. Re: Using PSA 2.0 with PSA SE 3.0
              Hi, I used PASE 3 and liked it, so I had PA2 bought me. When I installed it all the photos turned up exactly as in Starter edition. Except! I've lost all the file names that I had painstakingly renamed. They're in Starter but not the full version 2. How can I transfer all the renamed file names?
              As you all know, there's a lot of photos to do!
              Cheers
              Albert
              • 4. Re: Using PSA 2.0 with PSA SE 3.0
                Level 1
                Albert

This doesn't make any sense. If you changed the filenames using PSA SE, the filenames are changed on disk. So it is impossible for them to change back. Look carefully at the full pathnames for the images you're seeing. Something is astray.
                • 5. Re: Using PSA 2.0 with PSA SE 3.0
                  Level 1
                  Doh!!! My mistake - I added captions to the pics. File names are correct, but the captions have disapeared. Do I have to write all the captions again? Sob! Please say there's an easy way round this - it took me 2 nights to caption them all........
                  Albert
                  • 6. Re: Using PSA 2.0 with PSA SE 3.0
                    Level 1
                    > but the captions have disapeared

Where did you see the captions?
                    How did you write them?
                    Where are you not seeing them now?
                    • 7. Re: Using PSA 2.0 with PSA SE 3.0
                      Level 1
                      I must apologise to everyone who has bothered to read about my problems, especially Colin -thanks. When checking again (properly) I realised that I had indeed renamed the files names in PASE3 and they were not initially shown in PA2. On starting PA2 next day the file names were all correct. I know they disapear if the thumbnails are too small, but I had tried larger sizes. I can only assume (v. dangerous!) that it took the PC to reboot for the file names to show? Anyway, I am now well pleased with Album 2. I'll probably burn a copy of the photos - just in case..............
                      Happy New Year to everyone
                      Albert