7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2005 12:33 PM by (Colin_Walls)

Viewing original files after editing

When I edit a photo, the edited version is saved and can be viewed in Photo Well/Organize/Calender windows. I know the original is still saved without any changes made to it, and I can find it in the same folder when I go "my picture - adobe - named folder." But in Photo Well/Organize/Calender windows, the original picture no longer appears. So I can't make any new changes on the original (I can only work from the edited photo). Could someone help me with this problem?

I apoligize if this issue has been posted elsewhere already.

Eri
        • 1. Re: Viewing original files after editing
          Level 1
          You can ditch the changes and go back to the original. But that's not what you want is it? Another option is to use the Duplicate command, then discard changes - that will make a new copy for you to work on.

Since PSA SE has such limited editing possibilities, I can only really see this as being applicable to different crops. Is that what you're doing?
          • 2. Re: Viewing original files after editing
            Level 1
            Colin,

Thank you for your advice.
            And yes, cropping was the only "editing" I was doing.
            You are so right, and there's not much I can do with PSA SE, and I'm planning to purchase CS2 in a while. But well, I've been amazed how different photos can look by the ways they are cropped :)

Anyway, your advise about using duplicate command really helped. I've used "duplicate" and "revert to original" to get what I wanted.

Thank you very much!
            • 3. Re: Viewing original files after editing
              Level 1
              > I'm planning to purchase CS2 in a while

A very, very big jump from PSA SE!! Why not get Photoshop Elements?

> I've been amazed how different photos can look by the ways they are cropped

I am always amazed at how often people just accept the full frame image. My approach is to keep cropping until I have what I want and nothing more. I love square format, for example.
              • 4. Re: Viewing original files after editing
                Level 1
                Perhaps this needs to be a different discussion topic, but I thought I'll buy CS2 mostly because I don't know what Photoshop Element is capable for. I've used CS2 on other people's computers and had lots of fun with Photoshop on it. But I have no training on computer graphics and I know I'm not fully utilizing the program. Plus, I don't know if I'll ever use other programs on CS2. So I am open to the idea of buying Element and I did wonder if Element will be enough for me, but I just haven't able to find out what are the differences between Photoshop Element and Photoshop on CS2. Only things sales people at stores could tell me were that CS2 has more functions and has multiple programs :(
                • 5. Re: Viewing original files after editing
                  Level 1
                  Eri

CS2 is aimed at pros and very serious amateurs. From your description of yourself, I would urge you to save $500 or so and buy Elements.
                  • 6. Re: Viewing original files after editing
                    Level 1
                    Colin,

Some of the things I liked doing with CS2 included; changing color of a dog in a picture, cutting out unwanted objects, switching objects a person was holding (e.g., holding a fish to holding a dog), etc. Can I do these types of things on Elements? If so, I'm definitely getting Elements and saving mondey :) But then again, even if Elements cannot do those tasks, it may not be worth spending $200 or so (I get student discount) for my ability level.

Eri
                    • 7. Re: Viewing original files after editing
                      Level 1
                      > Can I do these types of things on Elements?

Yes. No prob.

With the student discount, CS2 becomes more attractive, but, unless you really need "pro" capabilities [e.g CMYK support] it's complexity may get in your way.