3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2008 9:34 PM by Dr. Fred Mbogo

AIR + dll

xXSeanx Level 1
      I'm trying to develop an AIR application that is to integrate with ACT! by Sage (CRM System) and I'm not too sure on how I can get access to their SDK framework. Each ACT! installation comes with a framework.dll file which is used in .NET applications... Can AIR interact with a dll in any way? are there any alternatives?
      For each client machine the AIR app will be installed on, it will need to "consume" the local ACT! framework.dll....
      I've drawn blanks from every resource I've tried, if anyone has had experience with something similar or can point me in the right direction or just any help at all would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: AIR + dll
          Joe ... Ward Level 4
          AIR cannot call functions in a DLL. Does the CRM system have a web service interface that you could use directly?
          • 2. Re: AIR + dll
            xXSeanx Level 1
            Unfortunately no... There's no web service... I'm not terribly familiar with .NET and dll's but is there any way to create a service on windows server 2003 using the dll?
            • 3. Re: AIR + dll
              Dr. Fred Mbogo Level 1
              You could write a small native helper process to interface between the two. Given that you're already stuck with a Windows DLL, there's no real argument for being militantly cross-platform, is there?

Basically, the helper would link to the DLL and then re-expose the parts of the DLL's API that your AIR app needs over some kind of IPC channel.

This would not be terribly efficient. You'd have to evaluate whether you cared more about writing the front end in AIR or having the system run really fast.