4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2005 10:20 PM by ronalds173

CAN'T UNINSTALL ALL FILES WITH WINDOWS

ronalds173
      In trying to move Photoshop Album 2 Starter Edition from my "C" drive to my "D" drive it became corrupted and the Uninstall file became disconnected from the program. I downloaded it from the web again and was able to use the Windows XP uninstall to remove it. But, after doing so I ran a search of my computer and found the following two files still on my "C" drive: Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition and Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition.msi. When I click on the program file I get an error dialog box noting:"Photoshop Album cannot start or continue because of missing file(s). Please reinstall."

The second (.msi) file appears to be an installer file located in: "C\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations\{30F65707-62BC-4443-BB21-86DA6E7F8A55}"
      My question is: can I simply click on delete for these two files or do I have to go into the registry to remove either of these. And, if so, which registry keys do I need to change/remove?

Now that there is a Photoshop Album 3.0 Starter Edition, I want to download and install it, but on my "D" drive.

If anyone can help me figure this out I would greatly appreciate it.
        • 1. Re: CAN'T UNINSTALL ALL FILES WITH WINDOWS
          Level 1
          Did you tried unistalling Photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition? If the uninstall was unsucessful, try reinstalling the software first and then uninstalling. Or, you can try to install Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.0 directly, it would uninstall 2.0 by itself.
          • 2. Re: CAN'T UNINSTALL ALL FILES WITH WINDOWS
            ronalds173 Level 1
            Yes! As I noted in my original post, I downloaded Photoshop Album 2 Starter Edition again, and was then able to use the uninstall to remove the program. But, after removing it I did a search of my system and found two files still there. I guess I may try downloading Photoshop Album 3 Starter Edition and then deleting it to see if everything is removed, before reinstalling it on my "D" drive.
            • 3. Re: CAN'T UNINSTALL ALL FILES WITH WINDOWS
              Hi,

Uninstalling software does not always remove all the files from the system, Decent software manufactures often inform you that not all files have been removed, and suggest that they can be deleted via Windows Explorer.

If these "left behind" files are non executionable, that is, they don't start the application, then there will be no problem sending them to the recycling bin.

Jeff
              • 4. Re: CAN'T UNINSTALL ALL FILES WITH WINDOWS
                ronalds173 Level 1
                Jeff,
                Thanks for the reply, but I just got it resolved. I went ahead and downloaded Photoshop Album 3.0 Starter Edition, which is supposed to delete Album 2.0 Starter Edition files. It did do that. I then deleted the Starter Edition 3.0 from my "C" drive and downloaded it again to my "D" drive, accomplishing what I wanted to do.

Again, thanks to you and everyone else that responded.

Ron