11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2006 2:24 PM by (Colin_Walls)

Moving photos to another catalog

I have numerous photos that I would like to move to another catalog. Is there an easy way to do this?
        • 1. Re: Moving photos to another catalog
          Level 1
          PSA SE only supports a single catalog, so this is not an option.

The full paid-for PSA supports multiple catalogs, but using more than one is strongly discouraged unless you know exactly what you're doing [and it's usually quite pointless].
          • 2. Re: Moving photos to another catalog
            Level 1
            Why do you want to do this?
            • 3. Re: Moving photos to another catalog
              Level 1
              Sorry, my mistake. I don't have the Starter Edition, I have 2.0. I created multiple catalogs by mistake and am now trying to combine them in some order. I would be happy if I could get all photos into a single category.
              • 4. Re: Moving photos to another catalog
                Level 1
                There is no way to "merge" catalogs - that's one of the reasons for discouraging th euse of more than one. Your only real option is to import the images, which will not bring in any tagging. What is the scale of the problem? How many pictures do you have in the extra catalogs that you want to "move" into the primary catalog?
                • 5. Re: Moving photos to another catalog
                  Level 1
                  I managed to create 5 catalogs but 3 of them are empty.

MyCatalog has 386 photos and the other one has 814 photos. Fortunately, I have not used Tags (although maybe I should have).

Can I safely delete the empty catalogs?
                  • 6. Re: Moving photos to another catalog
                    Level 1
                    > Can I safely delete the empty catalogs?

Yes.

Just open the catalog you want to keep and do Get Photos/From File Folders and navigate to the root of the folders in which you keep your images. You'll get a bunch of errors for images already imported, but you can ignore them.
                    • 7. Re: Moving photos to another catalog
                      Level 1
                      Thanks. And can I do anything to get the photos out of the wrong Catalog and get them back into MyCatalog?
                      • 8. Re: Moving photos to another catalog
                        Level 1
                        I think that I may have misunderstood your comment "Just open the catalog you want to keep and do Get Photos/From File Folders and navigate to the root of the folders in which you keep your images."

Did this refer to moving photos into a different catalog or to deleting an empty catalog?
                        • 9. Re: Moving photos to another catalog
                          Level 1
                          Bill

The pictures aren't "in" a catalog - it simply holds references to them. Just delete [or ignore] all the catalogs that don't interest you. Then to the Get Photos procedure on the one that you want to keep. A picture could be in many catalogs - you don't need to remove it from one to include it in another.
                          • 10. Re: Moving photos to another catalog
                            Level 1
                            Thanks, Colin.

I moved 539 photos into MyCatalog and I now think that I have all my photos in MyCatalog.

A few follow-on questions:

When I edit a photo, does it keep both versions "forever"? (It seems to).

When I delete a photo, does it only delete the Catalogue reference? If so, if I want to "kill" the picture (because I have a better one), what do you suggest?

How can I actually "delete" a Catalogue? (I may just learn to ignore them)

I guess that I should have paid more attention to the instructions when I first got the program. But, having spend 40+ years in the computer industry, I don't read instructions very often. If intuition does not work, I blame the software design.

Thanks again.
                            • 11. Re: Moving photos to another catalog
                              Level 1
                              > When I edit a photo, does it keep both versions "forever"? (It seems to).

When you do an edit, it does indeed create a new, edited copy. You can discard this or the original, if you wish. Just right click on the thumbnail and peruse the options.

> When I delete a photo, does it only delete the Catalogue reference? If so, if I want to "kill" the picture (because I have a better one), what do you suggest?

If you select a photo [or photos] and hit DEL you get a dialog which gives you the option to delete just th ecatalog entry or th eimage file as well.

> How can I actually "delete" a Catalogue? (I may just learn to ignore them)

You can just go find the files using Windows Explorer - they are in a hidden folder. Or you can use a neat Windows trick: use the File/Catalog/Open command and select each file in turn, right click and choose delete.

If you do decide you'd like to learn more about this program, there is some good information here: http://www.enjoyingdp.com/ - the referenced book is the definitive guide to PSA.