3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2006 12:55 AM by (Colin_Walls)

Can't see original and edited Pic in My Catalogue

I started using Photoshop Album Starter Edition yesterday. And I'm pretty sure that when I edited a picture, the catalog would insert the edited version right next to the original.

Now, I cannot see both the original and the edited version. I see in the catalogue only originals I have not edited and the edited versions of all the others.

In Windows Explorer it is clear that the original picture is there. Also, I can click on it and open with Starter Edition (Viewer), but that only lets me see a slide show version - no editing.

I've tried reconnecting and finding (using menus and buttons) and I get an error message that the file(s) is/are already in the catalogue.

The Show All option is on in the catalogue, BTW, and I have tried this on two different computers with separate downloads of APA SE (downloaded at separate times) with the same result

If I change the filename slightly - e.g. file001.jpg => file001a.jpg, then I can import the picture, but renaming all the files would be a burdensome process.

How can I view and edit both the original versions and the edited versions right next to each other?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Can't see original and edited Pic in My Catalogue
          Level 1
          PSA SE is trying to help you and you are fighting it. Its approach is to hide the original image to keep it safe. You can always revert to it [right click - it's an option].

If you want to create multiple variants of an image [as opposed to versions], duplicate the image [another right click option] the appropriate number of times first.
          • 2. Re: Can't see original and edited Pic in My Catalogue
            Level 1
            Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm glad I wasn't going crazy, and there's a reason the originals weren't viewable. If I understand you correctly, the original can come back into view in PSA SE if I choose to "revert."

Question:
            Does "Revert" mean that (1) the edited image disappears altogether - i.e., is deleted - or (2) the image doesn't show up in PSA SE's catalog any more, but still exists physically on the drive?

As to why I'm trying to fight PSA's help: Sometimes I just want to see the original and the edited versions to see if I really prefer the edited version better, or want to try different editing options. I know you can do this side by side in the "before & after," but the images there are not very large.

And I guess you're right about duplicating if I want to do different things with the same image, but that requires planning ahead, a trait which I ....

So, Question:

Is there some way to fight back and win, i.e., get the catalog to show both the originals and edits, other than individually renaming each original file and importing it again?

If not, then I'll have to look at the images side by side in windows explorer or do the duplicate option.

Thanks again!
            - Ileana
            • 3. Re: Can't see original and edited Pic in My Catalogue
              Level 1
              > Does "Revert" mean that (1) the edited image disappears altogether

Yes.

> And I guess you're right about duplicating if I want to do different things with the same image, but that requires planning ahead

No it doesn't. You can do the duplicate afterwards and then use revert on one copy [and Replace Original with Edited on the other if you want]. That will achieve exactly what you want.