5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2008 3:03 PM by (HB_Redfield)

Change dimensions of 'high resolution photos' for digital printing

Hi,

We recently placed a huge order, received our photos, and all of them had been blown up larger than what appeared in the album, heads were cut off, arms cut off, pictures were not centered. This was a problem for 4"by6" size, 5"by7", and 8"by10". When we inquired as to why and we were told that because we used 'high resolution' that the photos would come out larger no matter what company we used to process the digital prints. We were told that we could change the dimensions of each photo (squashing the photo to fit) but we don't know how to do that. Also, is there a way to do this to all of the photos at the same time?

Please explain, we don't know what to do at this point.

We're very sad right now.
        • 1. Re: Change dimensions of 'high resolution photos' for digital printing
          Level 1
          What you were told is not correct.

It is not a question of size, it is aspect ratio. For example, a 6"x4" image has a 3:2 aspect ratio; an 8"x10" is 4:5. Pictures from digital cameras are frequently 4:3 or may be 3:2.

The only way to change an image's aspect ratio is to crop. PSA lets you do such editing, but it needs to be done on each image - only you can decide waht to throw away ....
          • 2. Re: Change dimensions of 'high resolution photos' for digital printing
            johnk3 Level 2
            In addition, you should DEMAND your money back, go up to the top management of that outfit. Then run run away to a firm that knows what they are really doing.
            • 3. Re: Change dimensions of 'high resolution photos' for digital printing
              Level 1
              The company already told me that they will refund my money so that is not the problem.

The ratio differences is what the person told me initially too, however told me that I could also change the dimensions so that the photos would not be cropped and centered automatically...but that's not what I want to do, as it would leave white space on the sides and top, and I have several that I want to frame.

So what do I do now? I have 100's of pictures and over 90% of them have this problem. I used your software to enhance the photos, crop the photos, etc... but I don't see an area that explains to me what part of the image will be cropped out once they are sent out to print. Nor to I see an area that gives me a rectangular dimension to work from. If I have to crop these pictures to get them to turn out right, I need to get started on this right away.

When I print these on my own printer they seem to print just fine. There are too many to print this way, however.
              • 4. Re: Change dimensions of 'high resolution photos' for digital printing
                Level 1
                > I used your software to enhance the photos, crop the photos, etc...

This is a user to user forum - you are not [necessarily] talking to Adobe.

> but I don't see an area that explains to me what part of the image will be cropped out once they are sent out to print

This is under the control of the people doing the printing - PSA has no control over it.

To crop you need to use the edit facility - I can't remember the procedure in SE as I haven't used it for a very long time. Th ecrop tool gives you a selection of ratios to choose from.
                • 5. Re: Change dimensions of 'high resolution photos' for digital printing
                  Hi- I have a 10 mega pixel Canon and assumed my photos would be fairly high resolution, but when I load them into editing software, they are like 190 ppi. What am I missing please? The current settings on the camera appear to suggest that it should be MUCH higher. Thanks! HB