9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2009 6:54 AM by Kotonglupa

Auto Smart Fix

I am a new user of Adobe PSE.

I downloaded a lot of pictures and used Auto Smart Fix on several. These pictures now have "edited.jpg" attached to the original picture ID. There is also a small red square crossed by a chain at the bottom of each "fixed" photo.

If I click on a photo to do anything with it, Adobe immediately starts searching for a missing photo. This is followed by a dialog box with the message Adobe "cannot continue with your action. It required at least one connected file." This, in turn is followed by a "Reconnect Missing Files" dialog box stating that "The source files for the items you selected cannot be found at the locations stored in the catalog. They may have been moved and/or renamed. Please reconnect these catalog items to their source files."

I'm sure I missed a step somewhere but I haven't a clue what is was or what I need to do next. Any suggestions? I have tried selecting one picture, two pictures, and then all the pictures I downloaded, clicking on "file" and "Reconnect All Missing Files." That does nothing but return me to the search for a missing photo.

Help, please!
        • 1. Re: Auto Smart Fix
          Level 1
          Can you describe how you did the downloading and describe the steps you took <br />to carrying out the changes? It sounds like the original has not actually <br />been saved to your hard drive.<br /><br />FWIW, the "original" has not been altered. What you are seeing is the <br />"edited" version of the original. The original is sitting catalogued on the <br />HDD in the same spot that it was originally.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><Polly_Hodgins@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3bc0ae40.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />>I am a new user of Adobe PSE.<br />><br />> I downloaded a lot of pictures and used Auto Smart Fix on several. These <br />> pictures now have "edited.jpg" attached to the original picture ID. There <br />> is also a small red square crossed by a chain at the bottom of each <br />> "fixed" photo.<br />><br />> If I click on a photo to do anything with it, Adobe immediately starts <br />> searching for a missing photo. This is followed by a dialog box with the <br />> message Adobe "cannot continue with your action. It required at least one <br />> connected file." This, in turn is followed by a "Reconnect Missing Files" <br />> dialog box stating that "The source files for the items you selected <br />> cannot be found at the locations stored in the catalog. They may have been <br />> moved and/or renamed. Please reconnect these catalog items to their source <br />> files."<br />><br />> I'm sure I missed a step somewhere but I haven't a clue what is was or <br />> what I need to do next. Any suggestions? I have tried selecting one <br />> picture, two pictures, and then all the pictures I downloaded, clicking on <br />> "file" and "Reconnect All Missing Files." That does nothing but return me <br />> to the search for a missing photo.<br />><br />> Help, please!
          • 2. Re: Auto Smart Fix
            I am using your pse , is it possible to auto smart fix more than 1 pic at a time......Tom
            • 3. Re: Auto Smart Fix
              Level 1
              Tom

This is really a new topic ...

> I am using your pse

Be aware that we are just users like you.

> is it possible to auto smart fix more than 1 pic at a time

Yes. Just select the images [usual Windows convention - click first, CTRL/click the rest] and do ASF.
              • 4. Re: Auto Smart Fix
                When finished with auto smart fix, an internal edit box pops up saying: "the photo cannot be saved". Then "Photoshop Album could not automatically fix file" Any advice?
                • 5. Re: Auto Smart Fix
                  BudV

I posted a similar question about this for PSE 8 and got the following (discouraging) answer.

"If you mean the auto smart fix, no. But you can run auto levels, auto color, auto sharpen, and/or auto contrast via File>Process Multiple Files in the Editor."

If you have found new information on this subject, I would like very much to read about it.

• 6. Re: Auto Smart Fix
                    Mark C. Dahm Adobe Employee

You can apply Auto Smart Fix to multiple photos from the Organizer; control-click the photos to multi select, and choose the Edit > Auto Smart Fix (control Alt M) menu command; the program will rip through them, one at a time, until they are all done.

-Mark

• 7. Re: Auto Smart Fix
                      Mark C. Dahm Adobe Employee

That's not a very informative message, is it!

Does it fail for ALL of your photos, or just this one?

Is the file disconnected?

-Mark

• 8. Re: Auto Smart Fix
                        BudV Level 1

IT WORKED !!!

Through PSE2 and PSE4 I had never used Organizer, so you can imagine how clumsy I was in PSE8, getting files from Pictures into the organizer, then getting them all selected (bless ctrl-A), applying the auto fix, and then exporting them back to Pictures, but I did it. Once again, I will be my daughter's hero!

Thank you so much!

• 9. Re: Auto Smart Fix
                          Kotonglupa Level 1

thats great news!