38 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2006 12:21 AM by (Colin_Walls)

reconnect missing file

Hi, My problem is not being able to reconnect. When I click on a picture a screen comes up (Searching for missing "100_0358jpg) or any other file.

Will eventually go to another screen (reconnect missing file) on this screen on the left is my missing file, on the right I am suppost to find file on left to connect with.

I have tried to find a matching file but am unscessful.

Under my picture (file) in the reconnect screen the location is listed as (c:\documents and settings\HP_owner\desktop\my pictures. I try to select this with no luck.

Can anyone help?
        • 1. Re: reconnect missing file
          Level 1
          Why are you needing to reconnect at all? What have you done with the image files?
          • 2. Re: reconnect missing file
            Level 1
            Hi. I am not sure what happened, I was trying to open adobe and this time I need an unlock code, which I entered. It was after that the problem occurred.
            • 3. Re: reconnect missing file
              Level 1
              Is the file still present on your computer? If yes, then you can select the file in reconnect dialog and connect it.
              • 4. Re: reconnect missing file
                I have the same problem. How do I check if the file is still present on my computer? can I do a search? Where do I start? I have a whole years worth of photos that I can see in the thumb nail format but when I try to enlarge them, I get the same above noted message and a blurry picture?
                Thanks
                • 5. Re: reconnect missing file
                  Level 1
                  if any of you have figured this out, please call me anytime at 1-800-567-4799. I will be forever indebted.
                  thank you,
                  • 6. Re: reconnect missing file
                    Level 1
                    > How do I check if the file is still present on my computer?

Select a picture in PSA SE and open the Properties pane. This will show the complete pathname of the image file and a yellow button to open a Windows Explorer window onto the folder. Click that and see what you get.
                    • 7. Re: reconnect missing file
                      Level 1
                      Richard,

Do you REALLY want the world to see this number? This area regularly gets
                      searched by more than just Adobe spiders. As such you just opened yourself
                      up to harrassement. If you would like, I can edit and remove it.

Cheers
                      Jim, Adobe Host
                      • 8. Re: reconnect missing file
                        I have the same problem. To make a long story short, I had this problem and called Adobe and was instructed to uninstall my copy. The thought was that it was going to send my pictures back to MY Pictures on my system. It did not send them back to the files they originated from. After doing a search and still not finding any of my pictures, I decided to take a chance and reinstall PSA once more. I was happy once again that all my pictures appeared in the Album as before but, my problem still remains. I know where my pictures were stored before and with PhotoShop, it took all of those pictures out of my files and moved them into its Album. All the previous files are now Zero in size. I say this because, as stated above, each time I click on a picture it states: ( The source files for the items you have selected cannot be found at the locations stored in the catalog. They may have been moved and/or renamed. Please reconnect these catalog items to the source files.) I know how to search for a file or folder but, there is nothing to reconnect to because the program moved all of my pictures from my files to the Album. I am registered, have entered my unlock code, and each picture has a red broken file on it that can not be viewed. I just want to get my pictures, can anyone help?
                        • 9. Re: reconnect missing file
                          Level 1
                          > it took all of those pictures out of my files and moved them into its Album

It did NOT do this. PSA SE does not move images anywhere. It just catalogs what you have on your hard drive. That is all the program is: a database of image files. If an image file is not where PSA SE thinks it is, it will say so when you try to view, print etc. [even though it may still have the thumbnail]. If an image file is missing, it means you or some other software on your PC moved/deleted it.
                          • 10. Re: reconnect missing file
                            Hello
                            I am experiencing a similar problem. Recently I had to upgrade my Flashplayer but was unable to do so. I first had to uninstall the"older" version and then download the new one. This worked, however, since then, everytime I click on a picture to share it, it can not find the file. I don't know where these pictures go.
                            Could this be potentially corrected by uninstalling PSA Se and downloading it over again? Can I do that without losing all my pictures?

Thank you very much for your help!
                            • 11. Re: reconnect missing file
                              Level 1
                              > Can I do that without losing all my pictures?

I repeat: PSA SE does not do anything but catalog the pictures you have.
                              • 12. Re: reconnect missing file
                                Level 1
                                So please explain...If my pictures are deleted from my system and I deleted my first copy of PSA and its thumbnails, how could my pictures under its thumbnails reappear once I reinstalled PSA again?
                                • 13. Re: reconnect missing file
                                  Level 1
                                  > If my pictures are deleted from my system and I deleted my first copy of PSA and its thumbnails, how could my pictures under its thumbnails reappear once I reinstalled PSA again?

Because PSA SE maintains a database [catalog] which are references to your image files, which works with a file of thumbnails that it creates when you import images. That way it does not need to look at image files every time you want to peruse your pictures. Therefore, it only "notices" if a picture has been moved/deleted when you ask it to do something for which it actually does need the image file [like F11].
                                  • 14. Re: reconnect missing file
                                    Level 1
                                    When I click on "Share Pictures" it looks for files but cannot find them? After this, these pictures are marked as "lost files."
                                    This problem only started since I upgraded my Flashplayer.
                                    If I now uninstall PSA SE will I loose all my pictures or is there a way I can hide them somewhere safe in the meantime?

Thank you.
                                    • 15. Re: reconnect missing file
                                      Level 1
                                      > If I now uninstall PSA SE will I loose all my pictures

No you will not lose your pictures.
                                      • 16. Re: reconnect missing file
                                        Level 1
                                        Hello.
                                        I did uninstall PSA SE and reinstall and I did not loose any pictures but it also did not do any good. I don't know whatelse to do to correct this problem.
                                        Any suggestions? Help?

Thank you
                                        • 17. Re: reconnect missing file
                                          Level 1
                                          Hello again (or still???)
                                          My problem appears to have gotten worse...much worse.
                                          Now ALL my pictures show the "broken file" symbol, and
                                          I can not find the files. This seems to have come about
                                          overnight without me doing anything.
                                          Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do, short of
                                          teaching my computer to fly?

Thank you.
                                          • 18. Re: reconnect missing file
                                            Level 1
                                            Franz,

I'm just on my way home... if Colin doesn't respond, I'll try to look at
                                            this tomorrow evening.

Cheers
                                            • 19. Re: reconnect missing file
                                              Level 1
                                              > I can not find the files

How have you tried looking for them?
                                              • 20. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                Level 1
                                                Hi Jim and Colin.

I am very greatful for your help.
                                                I went to 'Files' and to 'reconnect all files'
                                                All the 'Thumbnail Previews' seem to be there
                                                and also their 'original location' but no image
                                                on the right (apparently it's missing)

Now, I don't know what happened and it seems that
                                                I might lose all my pictures anyway. It would be
                                                nice to know so I can avoid this problem in future.

Thanks again

Franz
                                                • 21. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Use Windows Explorer [My Computer] to search for "*.jpg" across the whole drive.
                                                  • 22. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                    I'm having the same problem as Katie - just can't find the 'reconnect button' ken baker
                                                    • 23. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Ken

File menu.
                                                      • 24. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                        Level 1
                                                        Missing Files: Please give me the address to solve the problems that
                                                        previous instructions failed to do.

I have followed all instructions relating to "missing files" and
                                                        none of them have worked.

I am also displeased with the manner that ADOBE is throwing my questions back to me (or is not giving)leaving 'others' to solve
                                                        for me.

As I 'go through' my files, more and more pictures are appearing
                                                        with the 'missing file' icon.

Please respond ASAP as the incompetence is screwing up my business!!

Ken Baker
                                                        • 25. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                          Level 1
                                                          Hi again

I followed your advise and searched for 'jpg' and apparently
                                                          the 'files have been moved or deleted'.
                                                          I have no idea what happened and, as I said, I appear to have
                                                          lost all my pictures but don't know why.
                                                          I am reluctant to use PSA SE in future if I can not find out
                                                          why or how.
                                                          Thank you for your help.
                                                          Franz
                                                          • 26. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                            Level 1
                                                            I can't help to feel the way you both do. I have searched for .jpg's on my system and can not find my pictures. I have memories from my Wedding to the birth of my first child that I can never regain.

I am still trying to understand, if my files were deleted, and I just had thumbnails showing missing files, and I then deleted PSA
                                                            SE from my system, how is it that when I reinstalled PSA SE on my system that it repopulated my pictures as thumbnails again.
                                                            If I deleted my pictures and then deleted PSA SE, how can my pictures reappear?

Is it possible my pictures are still in my system? Is there anyway to save my thumbnails and then have them restored? I have even done a system restore to the day before I placed PSA SE on my system and
                                                            my files are still missing. Can someone help????
                                                            • 27. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                              Level 1
                                                              > I am still trying to understand, if my files were deleted, and I just had thumbnails showing missing files, and I then deleted PSA SE from my system, how is it that when I reinstalled PSA SE on my system that it repopulated my pictures as thumbnails again.

PSA SE keeps all the cataloging information in a couple of files [in hidden folders in Docs&Settings] - the tagging etc. is held in My Catalog.PSA and another file contains the thumbnail cache. These files are not deleted if you uninstall the program. If these files exist when PSA is installed, the program just uses them and does not create new ones.

I have to ask how you are searching for your image files. Are you using Windows Explorer, starting from the root of your drive(s) searching for *.JPG, including all subfolders?
                                                              • 28. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                                Level 1
                                                                I used Search through my startup Window and searched for .jpg's( folders, subfolders, and hidden files). I have gone to MY Computer and searched in my C: Drive for any pictures. I have searched through My Documents for files and have not located them. I have used Dell Picture Studio to search for my pictures and I can not locate. Any other ideas???
                                                                • 29. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                                  Level 1
                                                                  As I understand this Forum, it is up to us users to solve the falicies of the program. I have ask ADOBE for a solution and for
                                                                  $175, a tech rep can solve our problems!!!!! sucks, doesn't it?

ken baker
                                                                  • 30. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    Where did $175 come from?
                                                                    It is free software after all - I guess the terms are take it or leave it. However, Adobe folks do show up here from time to time ...
                                                                    • 31. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      No answer for my question?
                                                                      • 32. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        > I have gone to MY Computer and searched in my C: Drive for any pictures

Exactly how did you do this?
                                                                        • 33. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                                          Level 1
                                                                          1. I clicked on Start again in my Toolbar and went to Search.
                                                                          2. Next, I clicked on Windows Explorer and searched my Computers
                                                                          Files.
                                                                          3. Next, I searched all ( Folders, Subfolders, and Hidden Files)...
                                                                          After answering this question...

Is there anyway to get any of my pictures from the Thumbnails? I fear this is all I have left of my memories if, you are not able to help...
                                                                          • 34. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                                            Level 1
                                                                            > Is there anyway to get any of my pictures from the Thumbnails?

It is possible to do screen captures from the largest thumbnails, but it is fiddly and may requireadditional software.

In just about every case, where pics seem to have gone missing, users seems to be able to find them or we identify the mechanism by which they got deleted or moved - either by user error or by some other software on the machine. It is very hard to imagine how PSA SE could do it, as it makes it quite hard for you to delete images when it's what you actually want to do.
                                                                            • 35. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                                              Level 1
                                                                              I have gone to ADOBE TECH REP for advice and got free service -
                                                                              after going over my difficulties, some of my missing files were due to emailing from the camera and the pics never got to the hard drive.
                                                                              I am now in the process of moving my 'files' "kenbaker...pics to Kenbaker2...pics. The 'broken icon' has disappeared on kb2 and now
                                                                              I have to 'tag' them where I want; also to delete the multiple copies. I can't explain all the details as explained to me, but
                                                                              would highly recommend going to Tech Support 800-642-3623.
                                                                              The Adobe has three Tech Reps Bronze, silver, gold - the bronze was
                                                                              $175, but have no fear, they didn't ask for cc. ken
                                                                              • 36. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                                                Level 1
                                                                                Ken

This is interesting info. Having heard of a few people with missing pictures, I had never considered the possibility that the pics had never been on the hard drive at all. Doing an import from files&folders off of the camera/card would produce this effect. The evidence would be the pathname in the Properties pane for a problem image.
                                                                                • 37. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                                                  In my situation there are pictures lost. I can't reconnect them to anything. How do I locate them? I have tried everything and nothings working. Can someone please help? barb
                                                                                  • 38. Re: reconnect missing file
                                                                                    Level 1
                                                                                    barb

What does the pathname look like in the PSA SE Properties pane for one of the pictures?