18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2007 1:57 PM by (Colin_Walls)

Operator Manual

Does Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.0 have a manual and if so, how do you get it?
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Operator Manual
          Level 1
          Ward,

It's actually online. Click on the help and there is a pdf available. It is
          admittedly rather "slim".

Cheers
          • 2. Re: Operator Manual
            Level 1
            Jim

Have you tried doing that? I did the other day and couldn't actually get to the download.
            • 3. Re: Operator Manual
              Level 1
              Thanks Jim for the tip. However, everything I get from Help is advertisement selling an Elements program. I finally got thru to the head-shed and talked to someone alive, and succinctly I was told there is no manual for Starter Edition 3.0. The program is just like the title, i.e., it's a STARTER! It contains about a quarter of an Elements program and if you want more whistles and bells you have to pay for it. So, will have to live with it or spend some money!
              • 4. Re: Operator Manual
                Level 1
                Colin,

Not lately, if there is a problem though, I'll see if we can't get it fixed
                asap. Ward, per my message to Colin...I'll report back in a day or two. I
                suspect that this won't be fixed over the weekend.

Cheers
                • 5. Re: Operator Manual
                  Level 1
                  Colin,

Stupid question... but have you logged a bug report on this? I've sent a
                  message to Adobe on it.

Cheers
                  • 6. Re: Operator Manual
                    Well done Bob. Wish I had known that.
                    • 7. Re: Operator Manual
                      BobGager Adobe Employee
                      Try http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbumstarter/pdfs/psase3_help.pdf
                      for the Starter Edition Manual/Help doc.
                      Bob
                      • 8. Re: Operator Manual
                        Bob Gager,
                        Thanks for your knowledgable input. I've soent a kit if time trying to secure a manual. I saw nothing in there about imbedding music with a slideshow. Do I need an upgrade for that?
                        Thanks again for your help!
                        Rich
                        • 9. Re: Operator Manual
                          BobGager Adobe Employee
                          Richard:
                          Photoshop Album Starter Edition does not allow you to include music with your slideshow. Photoshop Elements 5 however does. Here's a link for a discount.
                          http://www.adobe.com/special/funoffers.html?id=catPSE_PRE_PEPE_Offers&sourcecode=187800
                          Cheers.
                          Bob
                          • 10. Re: Operator Manual
                            Level 1
                            Bob,

Thanks again Bob! Will Elements 5 work compatibly with Adbum Starter Edition 3? Also, how do I defeat the pop ups that Adobe uses (Their sales pitch.) at the end of a slide show?

Regards!

Rich
                            • 11. Re: Operator Manual
                              BobGager Adobe Employee
                              Rich:
                              When you install Elements 5, it will detect that you have Starter Edition, and upon you approval, import your Starter Edition Catalog into your Elements 5 Catalog. At this point, you will have two Catalogs of your images (not two copies of every image) that are independant. Changes made in Elements 5 (such as adding a tag to a photo) will not be shown back in the Starter Edition catalog.
                              So, they are compatable, but work independantly. Once you have Elements 5, there's really no need for Starter Edition.

On the Slideshow thing, the Slideshows in Elements 5 do not add the Adobe sales pitch at the end.

If you are interested in getting Elements 5, here's a link for a discount:
                              http://www.adobe.com/special/funoffers.html?id=catPSE_PRE_PEPE_Offers&sourcecode=187800

Bob
                              • 12. Re: Operator Manual
                                Level 1
                                Thanks Bob...nice tutoring! I did purchase Element 5 and have a nice slideshow put together with George Benson doing an instrumental in the background. There are 10 pics and are sequenced to coincide with the start and finish of the song. Problem..when I email the slidshow I get an error message. Too large a file..how do I compress it so I can do the pics and music? I have sent the same pics only with no problem.
                                Thanks!
                                Rich
                                • 13. Re: Operator Manual
                                  BobGager Adobe Employee
                                  Rich:
                                  We should really be discussing this in the Photoshop Elements forum, but I'll answer it here for the benefit of Starter Edition users.

After you create your slideshow in Elements 5, you click on the Output button to save it as a file. Look for the File Settings section and the Slide Size pulldown. There is an eMail choice in the list that results in a smaller movie file.

Or, you can select the E-Mail Slide Show choice on the left (instead of Save To File) and in the Slide Size pulldown select Custom to set any size you want.

Another choice is to use Save to File, select For Web in the Slide Size, and then instead if eMailing it, share it with Adobe Photoshop Showcase. With your video selected in the Organizer, click on the Share icon, and select Share with Adobe Photoshop Showcase > Share Video. I think you and your sharee's will enjoyt the Showcase experience of sharing video over eMailing.

Thanks for buying Photoshop Elements. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
                                  Bob
                                  • 14. Re: Operator Manual
                                    Bob, how do I eliminate duplicate photos in "My Catalog" without clicking separately on each one? Any way to do that?
                                    thanks
                                    Marian
                                    • 15. Re: Operator Manual
                                      Level 1
                                      Marian

That's really a new topic. Can you explain more carefully what your problem is. What exactly do you mean by "duplicate"? How have you ended up with duplicates?
                                      • 16. Re: Operator Manual
                                        BobGager Adobe Employee
                                        Yes, new topic.
                                        Sorry, there's no automated way of removing duplcates.
                                        Bob
                                        • 17. Re: Operator Manual
                                          Level 1
                                          Here's how I ended up with duplicates.

I downloaded photos from files on my computer in which I had loaded the same photo more than once. For example, let's say I downloaded photos from 2003 Wedding in a file named "Pictures 2003." Later, I downloaded the same photos from 2003 Wedding in a file named "2003 Pictures." Result : same photo shows up twice in "My Catalog" of photos. Now, I have to select the duplicates separately and delete them. This takes quite some time. I hope I'm describing this accurately because it's turned out to be quite a nuisance.

I see you've already responded with a "no way."
                                          What about other products?

By the way, I really like the Calendar capability of the Photo Album Starter Edition.

Marian
                                          • 18. Re: Operator Manual
                                            Level 1
                                            PSE will not allow you to import identical photos, with identical names from different folders.