7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2006 4:38 AM by (Jim_Jütte)

Buffer overrun detected!

I am getting this message after I install Photoshop Album Starter Edition:-
      Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library
      Buffer overrun detected!
      Program:...n\3.0\Apps\Photoshop Album Starter Edition.exe
      A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state.The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

I have downloaded and installed from different sources, but the result is always the same.
        • 1. Re: Buffer overrun detected!
          Level 1
          Are you installing while running AV software? Try temporarily shutting it
          off and reinstall.

Cheers
          • 2. Re: Buffer overrun detected!
            Level 1
            I Stopped AV and installed PASE, but the Buffer Overrun still came on.
            I had to clean install Windows XP Pro. because of fair few problems, I backed up everything with Acronis Home but only half of what I backed up was good ( Ac Windows ? )Everything was fixed with the reinstall, but for this new fault. I think it has something to do with Windows, as I'm an old new learner I need all the advice I can get.
            • 3. Re: Buffer overrun detected!
              Level 1
              Hi Russ,

This definitely sounds like you're into something that PSA is showing up as
              a symptom not a cause for... Do you have access to something that is
              technically inclined with computers? It sounds like you might have a ways to
              get yet. Otherwise, we can try to help, but it will likely be a long and
              difficult road.

Cheers
              • 4. Re: Buffer overrun detected!
                Level 1
                There is nobody around who knows what it could be. I went back with System Restore to the day I clean installed the OS, Except for Acronis Home and Microsoft office, that did not fix it. Then I went and restored back to present day, uninstalled Acronis and Office and the result was still the same. So I don't know where to go next.In Microsoft there are lot of people with Buffer overruns in Internet Explorer and Google toolbar, but nix about Photoshop. If I can't find an answer I think I will just forget about Photoshop on this PC.
                I installed it on a very similarly setup PC and had no trouble whatsoever. Very frustrating.
                • 5. Re: Buffer overrun detected!
                  Level 1
                  Hi Russ,

Well the funny thing is, this is a "baby" version. It really shouldn't cause
                  you any trouble at all.

I have an idea. Google has another free product that is similar. It is
                  called Picassa. Try that and see if you get the same results.

Cheers
                  • 6. Re: Buffer overrun detected!
                    Level 1
                    Thank you for reminding me about Picasa, I have had it downloaded on a CD
                    ever since it came out. I installed it without any trouble, opened without any trouble and in the bargain we like it better than the Photoshop.So thank you , we will keep Picasa 2 and goodbye to Adobe Photoshop, especially since they won't support it.
                    Thank's for your help.
                    • 7. Re: Buffer overrun detected!
                      Level 1
                      One last comment Russ,

The full version of Photoshop Elements 5.0 (bit of an oxymoron there) is
                      completely different from this product, and it available as a trial version.
                      You might also consider looking at that. PSE SE is now quite old.

Cheers