20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2007 4:09 PM by (Colin_Walls)

Question for Adobe

Level 1
      I know that this is a user-to-user forum, but I also know that Adobe folks stop by here and I'd appreciate their attention.

I am a very regular contributor to this forum and have noticed a trend that is frustrating me. There seems to be an increasing number of users of PSA SE [I don't see this with PSA or PSE Organizer], who report the sudden disappearance of all their image files; they are shown as disconnected in PSA SE and cannot be found anywhere on the hard drive or the recycle bin.

I have been perfectly prepared to accept that this might be nothing to do with PSA SE itself. Other explanations are: users making errors; users deleting/moving the files not realizing the problem they are causing; other software deleting the image files.

But it is happenning just too often for this to explain the problem to me.

Can you please:
      1) Confirm whether there is any conceivable mechanism whereby PSA SE could trash all the image files in this way.
      2) Suggest an investigative procedure in the event of such an occurance.

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Question for Adobe
          BobGager Adobe Employee
          Colin:
          Let me start by thanking you for all your support of the Starter Edition user community. I am from Adobe, and I do try and read this forum every day to keep an eye on what's going on with Starter Edition users. It helps me know what the main issues seem to be so we can make the next version better.

To your questions:

As you've described to folks, SE doesn't actually hold your photos. It catalogs the images on your hard drive, or any other storage mechanism attached to your PC. Inside the SE catalog, we keep a pointer to the location of the photo on the storage device. If you delete that image file, move it, or detach the storage device from your PC, SE can't find the image as it's no longer where SE thinks it is. This is what we call a Broken Link. We do have some code to help reconnect the catalog with missing files, but if the files are gone, there's nothing to re-connect to.

I think the typical scenario folks are running into is that they "get" photos into SE from a removable storage device like a memory card, or directly from their camera if it is connected via USB. Once the removable storage device is removed from the PC, SE can no longer find the original files.

Other than the Delete Photo command, SE doesn't manage the original files on the hard drive, so it cannot delete them without the user specifically deleting them from within SE, which would also delete them from the catalog. Any disconnected file is a result of the original having been moved or deleted outside of SE.

For an investigative procedure, a user could always select the thumbnail of a disconnected image in SE, and select View>Properties. A window will open and in the bottom of the window is the complete file path to where SE thinks the file is. Knowing where SE thinks the file is could help trouble-shoot things. I.E. if the path is pointing to a removable drive, then it's clear what the problem is.

I don't know if all this info helps, as I think that it's all stuff you already knew. We do recognize that file management is problematic for folks, and are working on ideas to simplify the process. The Adobe Photo Downloader (that thing that pops up when you connect a camera or other storage device with images on it) is one way of helping. When getting images into SE using APD, we actually make a copy of the original image on the users hard drive, and then point there instead of to the camera. We'll continue to make improvements in future versions of SE as well.

Thanks again for all your help in this forum. There are A LOT of SE users out there who appreciate your help.
          Cheers
          Bob
          • 2. Re: Question for Adobe
            Level 1
            > I think the typical scenario folks are running into is that they "get" photos into SE from a removable storage device like a memory card, or directly from their camera if it is connected via USB. Once the removable storage device is removed from the PC, SE can no longer find the original files.

I wonder if this is the common problem. As I read it, you're saying that they are doing a Get Photos from Files and Folders [which sees the memory card as a drive], instead of From Camera or Card Reader. That would make sense.

If so, it is a shame that the product isn't a little "smarter" so that it could recognize this situation.
            • 3. Re: Question for Adobe
              I am designing a web site for my office. Everything is in place. However, I would like to add a slide show of various shots of the office. Can I create a slide show through Adobe Album Starter Edition and incorporate it into a web site created through FrontPage2003?
              • 4. Re: Question for Adobe
                Level 1
                Peggy

You should really start a new topic for this question.
                If I remember correctly [as I don't have PSA SE on this machine], it can make PDF slideshows. Is that what you want?
                • 5. Re: Question for Adobe
                  Level 1
                  Colin

Yes, I want to create a slideshow, but when I've tried to insert it into my web site, it doesn't work. Don't know if I'm totally messing it up, or it just won't work with Frontpage2003. It works fine when viewing in Adobe. Thanks for the tip about starting a new topic. I'm new this whole forum thing too!
                  • 6. Re: Question for Adobe
                    Level 1
                    You can certainly insert a PDF into a Web in FrontPage and make a link to it on your Web site. FP can do anything with the file - a visitor would simply need to download it.
                    • 7. Re: Question for Adobe
                      Barb__O Level 4
                      Bob Gager and Colin Walls,

>think the typical scenario folks are running into is that they "get" photos into SE from a removable storage device like a memory card, or directly from their camera if it is connected via USB. Once the removable storage device is removed from the PC, SE can no longer find the original files.

In the past I had seen (PSA 2 rather than SE 3) some specific cases where Get Photos from Files and Folders was used instead of Get Photos from Camera and Card Reader and then the result was that the catalog pointed to a device (letter) that was no longer there (connected).

Now I am not certain how PSA SE 3 is handling flash drives. So I am wondering if the frequency of this type of problem is now increasing because of the increased use of the small USB flash drives?
                      • 8. Re: Question for Adobe
                        Level 1
                        Colin,

Sorry, I've been away for a couple of days. Let me see if this is a known
                        issue.

Cheers
                        • 9. Re: Question for Adobe
                          Level 1
                          Okay... looks like we have the answer from a reliable source. :-)

Cheers
                          • 10. Re: Question for Adobe
                            Barb__O Level 4
                            and the answer is .......
                            • 11. Re: Question for Adobe
                              Level 1
                              Hi Barb,

Bob's answer IS the answer.

Cheers
                              • 12. Re: Question for Adobe
                                Level 1
                                > Bob's answer IS the answer.

I read his answer as speculating as to what might be going on [from an informed standpoint].
                                • 13. Re: Question for Adobe
                                  Oliver Voegtline

I would like to know, why I can view my photos in Adobe Photo Album, but I can not print them or move them to my pictures album. I get a message saying, the file can not be found and yet I am viewing them
                                  • 14. Re: Question for Adobe
                                    Level 1
                                    Oliver

This is a new topic and you should really post it as such.

PSA SE keeps thumbnails of pictures that it creates when you import them. It only looks or the original image file when it needs it - like when you want to print. Have you moved/deleted the files?
                                    • 15. Re: Question for Adobe
                                      REF.UNLOCK CODE
                                      THE SYSTEM IAM USING IS ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ALBUM STARTER EDITION 3.0
                                      THE PROBLEM I HAVE IS THERE IS A REGISTRAION FORM ON TOP OF MY PHOTOS
                                      WHICH I HAVE FIIED IN SEVERAL TIMES AND WAITED FOR MY UNLOCK CODE TO BE E-MAILED TO ME BUT IT HAS NEVER ARRIVED HENCE MY PHOTOS ARE LOCKED
                                      WHICH IS VERY FRUSTRATING HAVING YOUR PHOTOS HIJACKED BY A SYSTEM WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE FREE IF THERE IS ANYONE WHO CAN TELL ME HOW TO HAVE MY PHOTOS UNLOCKED I WOULD BE VERY GREATFUL
                                      THANKS FROM A VERY DISGRUNTLED ADOBE USER
                                      DEREK E-MAIL perryman@easy.com
                                      • 16. Re: Question for Adobe
                                        Level 1
                                        First, please don't SHOUT.

Your photos aren't "locked" - they are on your hard drive. PSA SE just catalogs what you have.
                                        • 17. Re: Question for Adobe
                                          would like to know, why I can view my photos in Adobe Photo Album, but I can not print them or move them to my pictures album. I get a message saying, that I need to reconnect missing files, when I am in reconnect missing files window, I cannot find the missing files in the right hand side under browsw for missing files. I would like to find these pictures to copy.
                                          • 18. Re: Question for Adobe
                                            Level 1
                                            Vickie

You can see them because PSA SE makes thumbnails when you import the images. It does not keep the originals - just catalogs what you have. The behaviour you describe implies that you have moved or deleted the original image files.
                                            • 19. Re: Question for Adobe
                                              Level 1
                                              Colin,
                                              How would I find them if I moved the files?
                                              • 20. Re: Question for Adobe
                                                Level 1
                                                Did you move them?