5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2007 11:05 AM by (farzina)

ODBC data source error, invalid cursor state??

I'm using Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.0, on Windows XP, and I was having some trouble organizing so I deleted all the photos in the catalogue, but now I can't add any new images. After opening the program and trying to add new pictures, I get the error that the files can't be found. After that one time, every time I try to add any photos at all, it gives me this error:

The ODBC data source returned the following error:

"[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Invalid cursor state"

I've tried restarting the program, the computer... I don't know what the error even means or how to solve this problem. So if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Oh, and I would reinstall the program, except I think it just came with the computer, I don't have a cd with it or anything. Is there somewhere else or another way to reinstall? Anyhow I'm done now, please help if you can. Thanks. :)
        • 1. Re: ODBC data source error, invalid cursor state??
          smriti mehra Adobe Employee
          Since this is a free software, you can download this from Adobe.com. Try reinstalling Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.0. If Reinstall does not work, try repairing the Windows ODBC drivers.

The reason for the error may be the Windows ODBC Drivers.To repair the ODBC drivers, follow these steps:
          1) Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel. Select Add/Remove Programs and select SP2 and uninstall.
          2) Insert your original Win XP CD and choose the Upgrade option.
          3) When completed, reinstall SP2. Go to Start>Windows Updates and select SP2.

You can also try this:

Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 _or_ install the "Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8" from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506 396c&DisplayLang=en

Please let us know if that worked.
          -Smriti
          • 2. Re: ODBC data source error, invalid cursor state??
            Level 1
            Sorry, kind of a long time to reply back. Unfortunately that didn't work and I still get the same error message.
            • 3. Re: ODBC data source error, invalid cursor state??
              hmm, i have been chasing this through a number of threads, i have tried:
              1)regsvr32.exe C:\windows\system32\msjtes40.dll
              command reports success but no joy with importing photos from anywhere
              2) re-install service pack 2
              again no joy and what a hassle i might add
              3) download MDAC2.8, Not allowed to install as SP2 has it all
              4)uninstalled/installed psase3.0

it is so weird, the program happily imports direct to the adobe
              C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\My Pictures\Adobe\Digital Camera Photos\ but will not show them on the program, except the ones BEFORE the ODBC nightmare started

i would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. This is common problem throughout the forums. thank you
              • 4. Re: ODBC data source error, invalid cursor state??
                I've got an ODBC error trying to start a brand new installation of Starter Edition 3.2 on XP SP2. The program installs but never starts.

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found no default driver specified. All the recovery options (create a new catalog...) fail and the program simply does not start.

MDAC 2.8 cannot be installed on Windows XP SP2.
                • 5. Re: ODBC data source error, invalid cursor state??
                  I have Photoshop Starter 3.2 and while trying to import pics from my canon photos file to Photoshop, I keep getting the same error:
                  The ODBC data source returned the folowing error: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]invalid cursor state.Can someone Help??