8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2009 11:18 AM by (Howard_Steinberg)

Retaining photo sequence in collection when burning CD

How do I change names of photos selected into and sorted within a new collection without changing the names of these photos in older collections?
        • 1. Re: Retaining photo sequence in collection when burning CD
          Level 1
          Originally this issue and question was written as follows:

I changed the name on a photo in a new collection and then looked at this same photo in an older collection and saw that the name of the photo was changed there also.

How do I ascribe sequenced numerical names to my photos in a new collection so that they will retain the sort order I have created, and still allow these photos to keep their other sequenced names in other collections?
          • 2. Re: Retaining photo sequence in collection when burning CD
            Level 1
            Hi Robert,<br /><br /><Robert_Palmer_II@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3bc448f6.0@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Originally this issue and question was written as follows:<br />><br />> I changed the name on a photo in a new collection and then looked at this <br />> same photo in an older collection and saw that the name of the photo was <br />> changed there also.<br />><br />> How do I ascribe sequenced numerical names to my photos in a new <br />> collection so that they will retain the sort order I have created, and <br />> still allow these photos to keep their other sequenced names in other <br />> collections?
            • 3. Re: Retaining photo sequence in collection when burning CD
              Level 1
              Hi Robert,

When creating a collection it retains its order, however you cannot
              automatically rename in the way that you want. You can actually do it in
              Windows Explorer, but I'm sorry I don't recall how this is done. I never
              needed to.

Cheers
              • 4. Re: Retaining photo sequence in collection when burning CD
                Level 1
                Thank you for your response however your answer does not explain how I changed the name on a photo in a new collection and then looked at this same photo in an older collection and saw that the name of the photo was changed there also. Your answer implies that I should not have this result? I wanted to make a CD of the new collection with the photo sequences retained however when I viewed the results on the CD the photos were shown in an order that appeared to be related to the original file source for each photo. A friend told me to change the names so that a numerical order reflected the positioning of the photos in the new collection. I changed the name for one photo and upon looking into an older collection saw that the name for this photo was also changed there. I do not want to change the names in the other collections.
                • 5. Re: Retaining photo sequence in collection when burning CD
                  smriti mehra Adobe Employee
                  Hi Robert,

When you change the name of the photo, it will be changed everywhere even in windows explorer. Collection is just like a container for these photos. The sequence of these photos should be retained in the collection. You can reorder them in the collection and the order will be maintained.

Hope this helps.
                  -Smriti
                  • 6. Re: Retaining photo sequence in collection when burning CD
                    Level 1
                    I added a numeric prefix to each photo name in sequence from 001 through 215. I had to retype the the prior name after each prefix as I was not able to insert the prefix. Then while viewing this collection I selected the first photo and holding "shift" down while I selected the last photo I got all of the collection highlighted and then I clicked "Burn a CD". The CD was burned and was ejected from the computer. After reinserting the CD and opening it I asked for a slide show and again found that the order of the images was sorted in ascending order of numbers and alphabet within the groups from which the photos came. Therefore all the photos from the file from Greg were kept together and sorted within this subgroup which is shown as being in a separate file from the other photos of the collection. Each photographers photos were separated and each had its own file being the photo source file linked to Adobe Photoshop 3.2. So if the collection order is supposed to be retained I have done something wrong or something is wrong with my software. Any more ideas?
                    • 7. Re: Retaining photo sequence in collection when burning CD
                      Where did Robert find "burn a CD" ? I have been looking for this option in album starter and thought maybe it was only an organizational program, because I have been unable to find how to burn a CD. I have another question too, within the same network can collections be visible? My office partner can see the photo well, but none of the collections are there. We have also made sure the files were in a network shared folder from Adobe.
                      • 8. Re: Retaining photo sequence in collection when burning CD
                        I believe I have a similar problem. I combined and arranged photos from two cameras into one file. When I burned a CD and played it on a DVD the order changed. I have Starter Edition and I was able to create a PDF file that maintains sequence, but the CD will only play on the CD drive, not on a DVD player. A friend told me there is some easy way to renumber all the photos to retain the sequence. Have you nheard of this, or do I have to manually renumber all the photos?