9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2005 3:32 PM by (Jim_Jütte)

Can Photoshop Starter Editor 3.0 run as a server application

Can Photoshop Starter Editor 3.0 run as a server application and be accessed by more then one computer simultaniously? If this is in breach of the license agreement, where can I find more information on this ?
      If this program cant perform as a server app. is Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 able to operate as a server app. ?
        • 1. Re: Can Photoshop Starter Editor 3.0 run as a server application
          Level 1
          Hi Tom,

This is a consumer application that was not designed to work in a network
          environment BUT, it can. The thing is, because it was not designed to this,
          you will run into some serious issues if people are running this
          simultaneously. I would suggest you reconsider this.

I believe that Adobe has other application that might do what you need.
          Would you like me to check for you?

Cheers
          • 2. Re: Can Photoshop Starter Editor 3.0 run as a server application
            Level 1
            Yeh if you could that would be much appreciated. Im doing some work for a R&D company and they are looking for me to set up some software on their server so that everyone on the network (approx 10 pple.) can access about 5 gig of images in an indexed format. PS SE 3.0 was one of the programs i was looking at because it was free, easy to index images with notes, and easy to search out the images your after. These kind of features are exactly what im looking for, but it has to be able to run off a server. The company doesnt mind forking out some money to purchase software, however most of the corporate based software ive come across is very expensive.

Any results are a real help.

Cheers
            • 3. Re: Can Photoshop Starter Editor 3.0 run as a server application
              Level 1
              Okay Tom...

First couple of tries is a no-go... Here are some of the issues you will run
              into. Because SE does NOT support multiple catalogues or even moving the
              catalogue, you really can't adjust its location. Using a "short-cut" from
              the client only results in a licencing issue and the application shuts down.

I'm having a look at PSE 3.0 (because I don't have 4.0 yet) and Picassa
              (which is also free).

Cheers
              • 4. Re: Can Photoshop Starter Editor 3.0 run as a server application
                Level 1
                Okay Tom...

Now these may be things that people have already discussed in the forum, so
                you'll have to pardon me if you already know this.

You CAN use the database on the server and put the application on the client
                computer. PSE prevents multiple accesses to the same database so that will
                avoid any conflict issues, however you would still need to contact Adobe
                about licencing. Further with PSE 4.0 out now... you are looking at another
                application.

I'll see what Picassa can do, but I would NOT hold my breath... and while it
                is a handy little app, for me it is FAR too limited for anything more than a
                quick search and some very basic tools.

I'll see what I can do in the next 20 minutes or so and get back to you.

Cheers
                • 5. Re: Can Photoshop Starter Editor 3.0 run as a server application
                  Level 1
                  Okay Tom...

One COULD use Picassa, but I really don't think it is practical. You have to
                  pull each image individually. You can only to a mass import from the client
                  drive. On the server side they would have to be pulled individually and
                  there would be problems (I suspect) with each change..

I know that this is WAY beyond what you were thinking but there is also
                  Adobe Version Cue which allows people to share entire projects. I would have
                  to see whether or not one could use this with a consumer product or PSA SE.
                  One never knows... as I say it allows one to share projects not just single
                  images.

Cheers
                  • 6. Re: Can Photoshop Starter Editor 3.0 run as a server application
                    Level 1
                    I've put out a question to give you a more appropriate solution to this.

Cheers
                    • 7. Re: Can Photoshop Starter Editor 3.0 run as a server application
                      Level 1
                      Okay Tom,

Obviously I have no idea what your budget is, but have looked Extensis
                      Portfolio at all? It appears that Version Cue (and I KNEW that... my brain
                      just went on vacation) is not a standalone product.

Cheers
                      • 8. Re: Can Photoshop Starter Editor 3.0 run as a server application
                        Level 1
                        Thanks heaps for that, sorry i havent been replying, i was away for the weekend.
                        yeh i looked at picassa, however on the google site is states that it is illegal for it to be installed on more then one computer per user, so that doesnt really help.
                        Havent looked at Extensis Portfolio, but ill check it out at work tomorrow. Im not sure what my budget is either haha. Cheap as possible is kind of the vibe i've been getting, however pretty much any software constructed for business purposes is rather expensive.
                        Hmmm i guess i keep searching and have a little chat to the boss.

Cheers

Tom
                        • 9. Re: Can Photoshop Starter Editor 3.0 run as a server application
                          Level 1
                          No probs Tom... Just an FYI. I'm moving on Tuesday and so I will likely not
                          be around at all from Tuesday until the following week. Then my appearance
                          might sporadic. Just when I thought I was going to be here all the time...
                          :-)

In any case, good luck. Hopefully I will talk to you when I through all this
                          stuff.

Cheers