12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 3:23 PM by thynctank

WebFontCache/unrecognized selector error in 1.5

zalfur
      When I try to run my AIR app with 1.5 I get an error and the app crashes. I tried several other ajax apps, including samples from adobe, and they all fail with the same error:

2008-11-17 17:02:02.511 adl[203:10b] *** +[WebFontCache fontWithFamily:traits:weight:size:]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0xa07bc460
      2008-11-17 17:02:02.512 adl[203:10b] *** NSTimer ignoring exception '*** +[WebFontCache fontWithFamily:traits:weight:size:]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0xa07bc460' that raised during firing of timer with target 0x145090 and selector '_playerTimerAction:'
      Bus error

Searching google for this error finds some results. First, a spaz user has this error:

http://groups.google.com/group/spaz-users/browse_thread/thread/8e9a0b22983ed15a

I'm going to try to revert to 1.2 (luckily I still have the packages) but I am extremely worried about users upgrading to 1.5 and getting this error. Is anyone running ajax AIR apps and *not* getting this error?

I think this is related to another post in this forum, "AIR 1.5 (Partially) Broken on OS X?"
        • 1. Re: WebFontCache/unrecognized selector error in 1.5
          vilee Level 1
          Hi zalfur,

We're not able to reproduce this crash with AIR 1.5, would it be easy to provide us a simply test case to demonstrate the crash that's happening in your app? It would be very helpful for us to track it down.

Thank you,

/Vincent
          • 2. Re: WebFontCache/unrecognized selector error in 1.5
            zalfur Level 1
            I don't know what you expect from me, as *every* ajax/html AIR app crashes this way.

I made test.html:

<html>
            <title>Crash Test</title>
            <body>
            <h1>Crash?</h1>
            </body>
            </html>

then test.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
            <application xmlns=" http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/1.5">
            <id>com.example.test</id>
            <version>1</version>
            <filename>Test</filename>
            <description>AIR 1.5 Crash Test</description>
            <name>Crash Test</name>
            <initialWindow>
            <content>test.html</content>
            <width>200</width>
            <height>200</height>
            </initialWindow>
            </application>

then ran adl test.xml and got this error:

2008-11-18 09:42:02.238 adl[1839:10b] *** +[WebFontCache fontWithFamily:traits:weight:size:]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0xa07bc460
            2008-11-18 09:42:02.240 adl[1839:10b] *** NSTimer ignoring exception '*** +[WebFontCache fontWithFamily:traits:weight:size:]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0xa07bc460' that raised during firing of timer with target 0x145090 and selector '_playerTimerAction:'

• 3. WebFontCache/unrecognized selector error in 1.5
              zalfur Level 1
              Double post, adobe.com timed out for me the first time.

Seems this is a fairly common Cocoa error, judging from google searches. My guesses would be it is related to the WebKit version used or something along those lines. If there is any information I can provide please let me know.
              • 4. Re: WebFontCache/unrecognized selector error in 1.5
                zalfur Level 1
                If I run 'sudo adl test.xml' everything works as expected. This works with my AIR app as well. However, fonts are different than they were before I installed 1.5.

Perhaps this is related to something on my main user account. Any ideas?
                • 5. WebFontCache/unrecognized selector error in 1.5
                  sbaldizz Level 1
                  I confirm the problem also with flexbuilder!!
                  With this code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                  <mx:WindowedApplication xmlns:mx=" http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute">
                  <mx:HTML x="10" y="10" location=" http://www.google.com/"/>
                  </mx:WindowedApplication>

the application crash immediately after start with this error info:

Process terminated without establishing connection to debugger.
                  Command:
                  "/Applications/Adobe Flex Builder 3/sdks/3.2.0/bin/adl" -runtime "/Applications/Adobe Flex Builder 3/sdks/3.2.0/runtimes/air/mac" "/Users/sbaldizz/Documents/Flex Builder 3/aaa/bin-debug/aaa-app.xml" "/Users/sbaldizz/Documents/Flex Builder 3/aaa/bin-debug"

Output from command:
                  2008-11-18 19:33:20.471 adl[22117:10b] *** +[WebFontCache fontWithFamily:traits:weight:size:]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x142d5480
                  2008-11-18 19:33:20.472 adl[22117:10b] *** NSTimer ignoring exception '*** +[WebFontCache fontWithFamily:traits:weight:size:]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x142d5480' that raised during firing of timer with target 0x34d9e0 and selector '_playerTimerAction:'
                  • 6. Re: WebFontCache/unrecognized selector error in 1.5
                    vilee Level 1
                    The crash still is not happening for me with the 2 barebone test cases (Ajax and Flex), but I do have a couple suggestions you may wish to try:
                    1. Create a new account in System Preferences -> Accounts, login to it and see if the issue still persists. If not, the problem is specific to your account.
                    2. The crashing error appears to be related to the font management code that's in Mac OS X, it looks like it was caused by some corrupted fonts installed in your system. I would recommend that you validate the fonts with 'Font Book' in your /Applications folder, e.g. select All Fonts, Edit -> Select All, then File -> Validate Fonts, or follow these instructions ( http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/badfonts.html) provided by Apple to find all corrupted fonts.

Please let us know how it goes. Thanks!

/Vincent
                    • 7. Re: WebFontCache/unrecognized selector error in 1.5
                      sbaldizz Level 1
                      after a series of disinstallation and reinstallation of flex the problem apparently is resolved...
                      • 8. Re: WebFontCache/unrecognized selector error in 1.5
                        zalfur Level 1
                        I just tested for bad fonts, and also a new user account. No bad fonts were found, and the new account had the exact same problem. I also uninstalled all non-system fonts and used FontNuke to delete all font caches. The problem persists.

It could be something to do with the AIR installation - I get the same problem of no license being shown as has been mentioned in another thread. Perhaps that is a useful clue.

Thanks for your continued attention to this matter, I hope you understand how important this is to us. Not just to resolve the problem to improve our development effort but also to patch AIR so that none of our clients experience this problem. Safari, the CS suite, and other software is running on this machine without problems. Whatever the cause of this problem it is obvious that AIR could be made more robust to deal with it.

Any problem of this nature that might affect our users becomes a support issue for us until AIR can be patched. This is a significant deterrent for our continued use of AIR, especially when I have people suggesting to me that our project could be moved to Silverlight quite easily :(
                        • 9. Re: WebFontCache/unrecognized selector error in 1.5
                          zalfur Level 1
                          Success!

Further research and desperate measures (read: uninstalling nearly everything) fixed the problem. So I went back and started to reinstall things until the problem recurred. I have discovered the culprit: Safari Adblock.

Turns out this app is implemented as an InputManager, which are known to be potential wrecking balls. It's highly likely it sees AIR's WebKit and does something unintended. This is also an easy to resolve issue for our client support, as uninstalling the program is trivial.

I'm going to mark this question as answered, but would appreciate it if someone could take the time to confirm my finding.
                          • 10. Re: WebFontCache/unrecognized selector error in 1.5
                            sbaldizz Level 1
                            Yes, now I remember that during the sequence of my deinstall and reinstall I have trashed the safari adblock input manager!!

Many thanks for the solution!
                            • 11. Re: WebFontCache/unrecognized selector error in 1.5
                              vilee Level 1
                              Excellent detective work zalfur! Thanks for sharing the finding with us, and thanks also to sbaldizz for confirming the finding. This is very useful info for AIR users who have installed Safari AdBlock and are affected by it (e.g. Spaz user as mentioned earlier). I'll make sure to send this info across to our internal team.

Thanks,
                              /Vincent
                              • 12. Re: WebFontCache/unrecognized selector error in 1.5
                                thynctank
                                Just wanted to say thanks zalfur for pointing me to InputManagers as the culprit for my AIR 1.5 headache! For me it was SIMBL.