4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2008 11:10 PM by pixlor

slices

haftalion
      I've read a lot about slices and how to do them and how to optimize and export them. I don´t know if I understood anything, but anyway, what nobody says is which is the criteria to decide the slices: how many and where.
        • 1. Re: slices
          pixlor Level 4
          Wow. That's a good question!

One goal that is a good one (but not the only good one), is to make the slicing as uncomplicated as possible. That means trying to make your slice boundaries along the same lines, whenever possible.

For tactile practice, make a printout of your design, take a pencil and ruler and see where you can draw lines (horizontal and vertical) that divide you design into good logical breaks and sections. Back in Fireworks, pull guidelines out of the rulers onto your design. (Click-and-hold in the ruler, drag out into the workspace area to make a guide. Double-click on a guide to precisely enter the pixel coordinate). Make sure that slices snap to the guides when drawing slices and then make your slices along the guidelines.

What you will end up with is a set of images that will fit nicely into either a table layout or a table-less CSS layout.

Next, see if any of your images can be used as tiles. Maybe you have a drop shadow along a line, for example. In those cases, you really only need an image that is a single pixel in one dimension. Using the smaller image, but tiling it, will save you on bandwidth.

Try to look at your design, not for where the content is, but where there are natural boundaries between the content. That's where you slice. If you've used good alignment in your design (a good design principle), then your slices should be fairly efficient, too.

• 2. Re: slices
            haftalion Level 1
            Thank you very much for your answer.
            I'm trying to practice that. The problem now is that when I export to Dream weaver it goes as only one image, including the text. It says "your slices will be ignored" If you want to export slices go to "export as slices" and I couldn't find where to get that option. Thanks again. alberto
            • 3. Re: slices
              pixlor Level 4
              Hmm. I've never had that trouble. I expect someone who knows exactly what is going on will come along with the right answer. In the meantime, here are some things to check:
              - In the Web layer, double click the word "Slice" on each slice and give them meaningful names. (It's optional, but it's really helpful later.)
              - Select each slice (one at a time) and set the image type for the export in the Properties palette.
              - Use File > Image Preview (CS3) for export and click the Export button
              - In the Export dialog, at the bottom, give your output HTML file a name, select "HTML and Images," and "Export Slices." Choose the options you want with the checkboxes and click the Save button.
              • 4. Re: slices
                pixlor Level 4
                Hmm. I've never had that trouble. I expect someone who knows exactly what is going on will come along with the right answer. In the meantime, here are some things to check:
                - In the Web layer, double click the word "Slice" on each slice and give them meaningful names. (It's optional, but it's really helpful later.)
                - Select each slice (one at a time) and set the image type for the export in the Properties palette.
                - Use File > Image Preview (CS3) for export and click the Export button
                - In the Export dialog, at the bottom, give your output HTML file a name, select "HTML and Images," and "Export Slices." Choose the options you want with the checkboxes and click the Save button.