1 2 Previous Next 72 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2006 6:31 PM by Newsgroup_User

Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance

disco-logic
      Ive made a new topic for this cos the last one went wildly off-topic...

Im trying to use info from the soldier instance to set up bullets he fires.
      Each new bullet wants to be its own instance/mc whatever. Thing is that I cant get the info out of _root.soldier and into _root.bulletX (where X is an arbitary value)

there is code in the bullet onClipEvent(load) like
      this._rotation = soldier1._rotation;
      Which by the looks of some traces Ive done just gives soldier._rotation as undefined.

How can I pass a value out of soldier to use here?
        • 1. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
          crazyjoemilan Level 2
          this._rotation = whatever. //defines this._rotation, it does not define "whatever"

soldier1._rotation = whatever //defines soldier1._rotation.

X = Y //defines X using Y.

Y = X //defines Y using X.

does that help?
          • 2. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
            disco-logic Level 1
            hmm afraid that the kind of code I was using. The problem is you cant take a variable out of one instance and use it in another.

I know that soldier1._rotation is working cos it work for soldier clip.

The problem comes when you want to pass soldier1._rotation onto the bullet cos a statement like

bullet._rotation = soldier1._rotation;

within the code for the bullet will simply decide that it cant find soldier1._rotation. What I think I need is a way to make the value public
            • 3. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
              Level 7

"disco-logic" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:efk7gi$2f1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > hmm afraid that the kind of code I was using. The problem is you cant
              > take a
              > variable out of one instance and use it in another.
              >
              > I know that soldier1._rotation is working cos it work for soldier clip.
              >
              > The problem comes when you want to pass soldier1._rotation onto the bullet
              > cos
              > a statement like
              >
              > bullet._rotation = soldier1._rotation;
              >
              > within the code for the bullet will simply decide that it cant find
              > soldier1._rotation. What I think I need is a way to make the value public
              >

okay, here is what you want to check (for this case and any case when you
              have some issue like this --- unexpected behavior)

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

Each bullet is coming from an attachMovie or a duplicateMovieClip, right???

In either case, in your code you have:

onClipEvent(load) {
              this._rotation = solder1._rotation;
              }

which is a valid statment. This says, find the rotation value of soldier1
              and assign it to this (the Bullet clip)

So, TRACE...
              add
              trace(soldier1._rotation);
              to the onClipEvent(load) handler above. You see that soldier1._rotation is
              undefined.

next add another TRACE...
              add
              trace(this);
              to the handler.

You will see that 'this' is referring to your bullet. But, soldier1 is not
              in the bullet instance, it is in the _parent instance (most likely - depends
              on your setup) so, you should try

onClipEvent(load) {
              this._rotation = _parent.soldier1._rotation;
              }

if that doesn't work, add the following traces and post their output

trace(this);
              trace(this._parent);

Each new bullet wants to be its own instance/mc whatever. Thing is that I
              cant get the info out of _root.soldier and into _root.bulletX (where X is an
              arbitary value)

Which by the looks of some traces Ive done just gives soldier._rotation as
              undefined.

• 4. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                Level 7

> take a
                >
                >
                > cos
                > a statement like
                >
                >
                >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                }

So, TRACE...
                add
                undefined.

add
                trace(this);
                to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                }

trace(this);
                trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 5. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                  disco-logic Level 1
                  does _parent refer to the mc that "gave birth" to the new instance?

so if duplicateMoveClip(..."bullet"...) is in soldier1 will the _parent of bullet be soldier1? or will it be the original bullet Im duplicating?

Also my traces threw up odd results. I got the rotation to work but not the _x and _y positions. Odd.

I think I might start using proper .as scripts and define everything as classes cos this is getting too confusing using mc instances with code inside them.
                  • 6. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                    Level 7

news:efkdr8$95f$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > does _parent refer to the mc that "gave birth" to the new instance?

if you are using duplicateMovieClip, then the _parent is the same for all
                    duplicated bullets... the holder of the original bullet. So, if the bullet
                    instance is inside of your soldier1 MC then the _parent of each duplicated
                    bullet will be the soldier1.

> so if duplicateMoveClip(..."bullet"...) is in soldier1 will the _parent of
                    > bullet be soldier1? or will it be the original bullet Im duplicating?
                    >
                    > Also my traces threw up odd results. I got the rotation to work but not
                    > the
                    > _x and _y positions. Odd.

What are the outputs of your 'odd results'... if _x and _y don't work, TRACE
                    'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                    trace(this._parent._y);

> I think I might start using proper .as scripts and define everything as
                    > classes cos this is getting too confusing using mc instances with code
                    > inside
                    > them.
                    >

This is my preferred way to go.

• 7. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                      Level 7

> take a
                      >
                      >
                      > cos
                      > a statement like
                      >
                      >
                      >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                      }

So, TRACE...
                      add
                      undefined.

add
                      trace(this);
                      to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                      }

trace(this);
                      trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 8. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                        Level 7

>
                        > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                        trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                        > them.
                        >

• 9. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                          Level 7

> take a
                          >
                          >
                          > cos
                          > a statement like
                          >
                          >
                          >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                          }

So, TRACE...
                          add
                          undefined.

add
                          trace(this);
                          to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                          }

trace(this);
                          trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 10. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                            Level 7

>
                            > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                            trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                            > them.
                            >

• 11. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                              Level 7

> take a
                              >
                              >
                              > cos
                              > a statement like
                              >
                              >
                              >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                              }

So, TRACE...
                              add
                              undefined.

add
                              trace(this);
                              to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                              }

trace(this);
                              trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 12. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                Level 7

>
                                > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                > them.
                                >

• 13. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                  Level 7

> take a
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > cos
                                  > a statement like
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                  }

So, TRACE...
                                  add
                                  undefined.

add
                                  trace(this);
                                  to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                  }

trace(this);
                                  trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 14. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                    Level 7

>
                                    > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                    trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                    > them.
                                    >

• 15. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                      Level 7

> take a
                                      >
                                      >
                                      > cos
                                      > a statement like
                                      >
                                      >
                                      >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                      }

So, TRACE...
                                      add
                                      undefined.

add
                                      trace(this);
                                      to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                      }

trace(this);
                                      trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 16. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                        Level 7

>
                                        > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                        trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                        > them.
                                        >

• 17. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                          Level 7

> take a
                                          >
                                          >
                                          > cos
                                          > a statement like
                                          >
                                          >
                                          >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                          }

So, TRACE...
                                          add
                                          undefined.

add
                                          trace(this);
                                          to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                          }

trace(this);
                                          trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 18. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                            Level 7

>
                                            > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                            trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                            > them.
                                            >

• 19. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                              Level 7

> take a
                                              >
                                              >
                                              > cos
                                              > a statement like
                                              >
                                              >
                                              >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                              }

So, TRACE...
                                              add
                                              undefined.

add
                                              trace(this);
                                              to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                              }

trace(this);
                                              trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 20. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                Level 7

>
                                                > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                                trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                                > them.
                                                >

• 21. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                  Level 7

> take a
                                                  >
                                                  >
                                                  > cos
                                                  > a statement like
                                                  >
                                                  >
                                                  >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                  }

So, TRACE...
                                                  add
                                                  undefined.

add
                                                  trace(this);
                                                  to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                  }

trace(this);
                                                  trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 22. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                    Level 7

>
                                                    > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                                    trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                                    > them.
                                                    >

• 23. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                      Level 7

> take a
                                                      >
                                                      >
                                                      > cos
                                                      > a statement like
                                                      >
                                                      >
                                                      >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                      }

So, TRACE...
                                                      add
                                                      undefined.

add
                                                      trace(this);
                                                      to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                      }

trace(this);
                                                      trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 24. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                        Level 7

>
                                                        > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                                        trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                                        > them.
                                                        >

• 25. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                          Level 7

> take a
                                                          >
                                                          >
                                                          > cos
                                                          > a statement like
                                                          >
                                                          >
                                                          >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                          }

So, TRACE...
                                                          add
                                                          undefined.

add
                                                          trace(this);
                                                          to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                          }

trace(this);
                                                          trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 26. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                            Level 7

>
                                                            > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                                            trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                                            > them.
                                                            >

• 27. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                              Level 7

> take a
                                                              >
                                                              >
                                                              > cos
                                                              > a statement like
                                                              >
                                                              >
                                                              >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                              }

So, TRACE...
                                                              add
                                                              undefined.

add
                                                              trace(this);
                                                              to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                              }

trace(this);
                                                              trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 28. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                                Level 7

>
                                                                > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                                                trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                                                > them.
                                                                >

• 29. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                                  Level 7

> take a
                                                                  >
                                                                  >
                                                                  > cos
                                                                  > a statement like
                                                                  >
                                                                  >
                                                                  >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                                  }

So, TRACE...
                                                                  add
                                                                  undefined.

add
                                                                  trace(this);
                                                                  to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                                  }

trace(this);
                                                                  trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 30. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                                    Level 7

>
                                                                    > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                                                    trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                                                    > them.
                                                                    >

• 31. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                                      Level 7

> take a
                                                                      >
                                                                      >
                                                                      > cos
                                                                      > a statement like
                                                                      >
                                                                      >
                                                                      >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                                      }

So, TRACE...
                                                                      add
                                                                      undefined.

add
                                                                      trace(this);
                                                                      to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                                      }

trace(this);
                                                                      trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 32. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                                        Level 7

>
                                                                        > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                                                        trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                                                        > them.
                                                                        >

• 33. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                                          Level 7

> take a
                                                                          >
                                                                          >
                                                                          > cos
                                                                          > a statement like
                                                                          >
                                                                          >
                                                                          >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                                          }

So, TRACE...
                                                                          add
                                                                          undefined.

add
                                                                          trace(this);
                                                                          to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                                          }

trace(this);
                                                                          trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 34. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                                            Level 7

>
                                                                            > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                                                            trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                                                            > them.
                                                                            >

• 35. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                                              Level 7

> take a
                                                                              >
                                                                              >
                                                                              > cos
                                                                              > a statement like
                                                                              >
                                                                              >
                                                                              >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                                              }

So, TRACE...
                                                                              add
                                                                              undefined.

add
                                                                              trace(this);
                                                                              to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                                              }

trace(this);
                                                                              trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 36. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                                                Level 7

>
                                                                                > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                                                                trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                                                                > them.
                                                                                >

• 37. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                                                  Level 7

> take a
                                                                                  >
                                                                                  >
                                                                                  > cos
                                                                                  > a statement like
                                                                                  >
                                                                                  >
                                                                                  >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                                                  }

So, TRACE...
                                                                                  add
                                                                                  undefined.

add
                                                                                  trace(this);
                                                                                  to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                                                  }

trace(this);
                                                                                  trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

• 38. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                                                    Level 7

>
                                                                                    > the

'em.

trace(this._parent._x);
                                                                                    trace(this._parent._y);

> inside
                                                                                    > them.
                                                                                    >

• 39. Re: Passing values from mc to mc/instance to instance
                                                                                      Level 7

> take a
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      > cos
                                                                                      > a statement like
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      >

TRACE, TRACE, TRACE.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                                                      }

So, TRACE...
                                                                                      add
                                                                                      undefined.

add
                                                                                      trace(this);
                                                                                      to the handler.

onClipEvent(load) {
                                                                                      }

trace(this);
                                                                                      trace(this._parent);

arbitary value)

undefined.

1 2 Previous Next