Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

script for a long "See Also" button?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2006 Jun 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a dilemma I'm hoping someone has already found the scripted solution for :)

I have a RoboHelp project with a whole bunch of files. Many of these files feature "See Also" buttons, which, when pressed, display links to other HTML help files in the project.

The problem is, since the project is so large, some of these See Also buttons display 30 or more links...and guess what? RoboHelp can't display all of them :)

So, I was wondering: has anyone run into this type of problem and coded a solution for it? I was thinking some sort of script that either adds a scroll bar to the list of links in the See Also list, or a script that adds an arrow that, when pressed, lets you scroll down the list (a la Microsoft Office).

Trouble is, I have the coding ability of a newt. Can anyone point me to a pre-made script that will do such a thing?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that the obvious solution ("don't make the See Also button contain so many links!") has been deemed inadequate by upper management--we need those links in there, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try a form, using the SELECT and OPTION elements to display your choices in a pull-down menu. This is all-HTML and therefore simpler than a Javascript solution.

Any HTML book will have plenty of examples to guide you along, as will this w3schools site. In that example, add size=3 inside the SELECT element, click the button above the edit box, and see what happens.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Dave

Ummm, call me a simpleton here, but wouldn't the answer to this be as simple as editing the control in the WYSIWYG editor, then changing from a popup to a Topics Found? I just tested this and it seems to survive the WebHelp generation process nicely.

Just a thought... Rick 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp